Lightroom: How to invert a range mask?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,817
Lightroom: How to invert a range mask?

I am using the latest LrC 10.0.  I can't find a way to invert a range mask.  Is there a way?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,216
Re: Lightroom: How to invert a range mask?

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am using the latest LrC 10.0. I can't find a way to invert a range mask. Is there a way?

I don't see anything specifically for the range mask feature for inverting there.  What I am seeing is you can invert a selection made with the radial filter by ticking the "invert" box.  And the range mask does work with the radial filter.  No invert option for the brush or grad filter that I am finding.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 2,848

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am using the latest LrC 10.0. I can't find a way to invert a range mask. Is there a way?

Just thinking out loud ... could you make the adjustments over the whole image and then use the range mask to pull back your adjustments? It's not the ideal solution, but it ought to work.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +17 more
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,817

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I don't see anything specifically for the range mask feature for inverting there. What I am seeing is you can invert a selection made with the radial filter by ticking the "invert" box. And the range mask does work with the radial filter. No invert option for the brush or grad filter that I am finding.

I just checked and see that you are right that there is an invert option for the radial filter.  It is very strange that it not available for the graduated filter also.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,320

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I don't see anything specifically for the range mask feature for inverting there. What I am seeing is you can invert a selection made with the radial filter by ticking the "invert" box. And the range mask does work with the radial filter. No invert option for the brush or grad filter that I am finding.

I just checked and see that you are right that there is an invert option for the radial filter. It is very strange that it not available for the graduated filter also.

Make a feature request to Adobe. https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

kaphinga wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Just thinking out loud ... could you make the adjustments over the whole image and then use the range mask to pull back your adjustments? It's not the ideal solution, but it ought to work.

I will play around with that to see if it will work.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

dj_paige wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I just checked and see that you are right that there is an invert option for the radial filter. It is very strange that it not available for the graduated filter also.

Make a feature request to Adobe. https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Okay, I just submitted a request.  I find it very strange that they added an invert option for the radial filter range mask, but not the graduated filter and adjustment brush range masks.  I hope they will add it to all 3.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

dj_paige

kaphinga wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Yes you could, I experimented with this and it appears to work.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

RussC
RussC Regular Member • Posts: 338

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

It is, in a way. If you apply a graduated filter to the entire image (eg. select grad filter, click on bottom corner of image and pull off the image) then you can use the range mask eye dropper tool on different parts of the image to select a given color or luminance, and that will provide the mask. Not strictly an invert, but in the luminosity option you can click through each luminosity grayscale and select the one you want to mask. Same with the color mask.

RussC

RussC's gear list:RussC's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,216

Henry Richardson wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Okay, I just submitted a request. I find it very strange that they added an invert option for the radial filter range mask, but not the graduated filter and adjustment brush range masks. I hope they will add it to all 3.

Thank you for doing that Henry and please keep us posted if you get a reply or reason from Adobe.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
dj_paige

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Okay, I just submitted a request. I find it very strange that they added an invert option for the radial filter range mask, but not the graduated filter and adjustment brush range masks. I hope they will add it to all 3.

Thank you for doing that Henry and please keep us posted if you get a reply or reason from Adobe.

As far as I know, Adobe rarely gives a reason for their decisions. They do reply with possible workarounds, or they reply that this will be added to their list of things to work on.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Henry Richardson wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Here it is:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lrc-add-invert-option-for-range-masks/5fbed610ce4ce1357af21add

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,109

Henry Richardson wrote:

Just so we don't get too confused here... there is no invert option for the radial filter range mask.  There IS an invert function for the filter itself, but not for its range mask.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,759

RussC wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

It is, in a way. If you apply a graduated filter to the entire image (eg. select grad filter, click on bottom corner of image and pull off the image) then you can use the range mask eye dropper tool on different parts of the image to select a given color or luminance, and that will provide the mask. Not strictly an invert, but in the luminosity option you can click through each luminosity grayscale and select the one you want to mask. Same with the color mask.

RussC

This is what I do too. It would be easier with an invert mask control but that would only work for two sets of tone ranges. The way RussC uses and the way I use them allows me to quickly set up any number of luminosity brush ranges like in luminosity masking only inverted..

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Brandon.
Olympus EM1mIII, EM10 mII, Sony RX10 M4, RX100 M7
Nikon V1,V3, D500, D810
FlickR Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/

Brandon birder's gear list:Brandon birder's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,802

Henry Richardson wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Why would there be an invert to the graduated filter and the brush?

To invert the graduated filter just apply it to the opposite part of the image.

The brush is to paint an effect to a specific subject not to everything else but that subject. To do that you would apply a radial filter and then use the brush on erase mode to mask that subject out of the radial filter. That would be an inverse brush.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads