Where's the 50 S 1.8? (wannabe S1 user here)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
crashwins Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Where's the 50 S 1.8? (wannabe S1 user here)

I'm a 50mm aficionado and with the Covid work/shooting slowdown this is the right time to try out some new gear. I have been wanting a system where I can consolidate an awesome stills machine with quality video (I don't need a cine-rig or anything) as video or more an interest than anything I get paid to do yet. All said, I don't want to shell out $2-3K for a dedicated rig.

Not as excited by Canon or the Nikon Z. But, 50mm is my primary focal length for stills work. I am super intrigued by the 50 S Pro lens, but also VERY curious of the new 50 1.8. I will often stop down to F2 with 50s so it might cut the mustard for me

Anyway, with the AF updates I'm confident I will be in love with this system. Also really intrigued by the Lumix color coming from Nikon and Sony, the latter of which I didn't ever like. Thanks!

FinePix S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jamajuel Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Where's the 50 S 1.8? (wannabe S1 user here)

crashwins wrote:

I'm a 50mm aficionado and with the Covid work/shooting slowdown this is the right time to try out some new gear. I have been wanting a system where I can consolidate an awesome stills machine with quality video (I don't need a cine-rig or anything) as video or more an interest than anything I get paid to do yet. All said, I don't want to shell out $2-3K for a dedicated rig.

Not as excited by Canon or the Nikon Z. But, 50mm is my primary focal length for stills work. I am super intrigued by the 50 S Pro lens, but also VERY curious of the new 50 1.8. I will often stop down to F2 with 50s so it might cut the mustard for me

Anyway, with the AF updates I'm confident I will be in love with this system. Also really intrigued by the Lumix color coming from Nikon and Sony, the latter of which I didn't ever like. Thanks!

Given that the 85mm is shipping now, let’s hope that the rest of the lineup will follow in Q1 and Q2 next year...

Jamajuel's gear list:Jamajuel's gear list
Panasonic S1 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +6 more
OP crashwins Contributing Member • Posts: 973

Jamajuel wrote:

crashwins wrote:

Given that the 85mm is shipping now, let’s hope that the rest of the lineup will follow in Q1 and Q2 next year...

How are people liking the 85? If it's great, then I would be confident that the 50 would be similar.

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,257

How are people liking the 85? If it's great, then I would be confident that the 50 would be similar.

Probably some of the least biased reviews of Panasonic Cameras are by Richard Wong, and he has a pretty good review of the 85mm f/1.8

I will link to his review below. But before that, as somone who uses his Pansonic S1 for both stills AND video professionally, just a few quick observations:

The panasonic Lumix lenses are DESIGNED to be use for both stills AND video. Meaning that their zoom lenses are close to being parfocal, and they exhibit minimal focus breathing. Both are real important to video shooters, but less so for people who purely shoot stills.

Another nice thing about the Panasonic lenses is that even though they are focus by wire, you can set them to have a linear focus response. Not everyone needs this, but if you like to use manual focus for focus pulls, then this is REALLY helpful to nail your focus pulls.

Also, while Panasonic Autofocus is not great, it does have a really, really beautiful ease in and ease out quality. In case you don't know what this means, is that as the lens changes focus, as it is about to reach the new focus point, it slows down so that it gradually comes to a stop (as opposed to stopping abruptly).

All this stuff comes at a price, so that is why Panasonic lenses tend to be priced on the high end (compared to DSLR lenses) and slightly higher priced than most other Mirrorless lenses.

Now, on to Richard's review of the 85mm f/1.8:

https://youtu.be/2mdg10cz5G0

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads