Leica QP... $3250 a reasonable deal?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 438
Leica QP... $3250 a reasonable deal?

Hello guys,

A friend of a friend is selling his absolutely in like new condition Q-P so he can upgrade to a Hasselblad 907X. He is asking $3250 USD.

I might consider selling my M9-P to get this one, (the M is too slow to take pictures of my dogs).

I wonder what do you think, if it is a good deal at that price? I would keep it for the years to come.

Thanks!

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,281
Re: Leica QP... $3250 a reasonable deal?

Buy it.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,133

Foskito wrote:

Hello guys,

A friend of a friend is selling his absolutely in like new condition Q-P so he can upgrade to a Hasselblad 907X. He is asking $3250 USD.

I might consider selling my M9-P to get this one, (the M is too slow to take pictures of my dogs).

I wonder what do you think, if it is a good deal at that price? I would keep it for the years to come.

Thanks!

It's a good price, B U T - a friend of a friend always worries me!!  does he have original receipt? test before buying.... L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
Foskito
OP Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 438

Leica Eye wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Hello guys,

Thanks!

It's a good price, B U T - a friend of a friend always worries me!! does he have original receipt? test before buying.... L

Yes, it is legit, he is super careful with his gear and bought it new at B&H, and my friend which is a pro photographer vouches for him. In fact, I would ask her to get the camera and keep it for me, because they live in the same city and I am in another one. I am not really in a rush, she called me a few hours ago to offer the camera.

I might sell my M9P to fund this one... it hasn't seen any action this year and taking pics of my dogs require AF, I feel someone else could enjoy it more.

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,739

Foskito wrote:

Hello guys,

Thanks!

I would be practical in my thought process. For $1500 or so more you can have a new Leica Q2 ??

A used camera is a used camera as much as if you bought a new car today, tomorrow it is used and you will never get what you paid for it back.

I know the QP is discontinued. On a high level a 1-1 private sale will yield more money to the seller. What I do not know is how much did the QP sell for when it was new?

Based on that a camera store wants to sell it for 70% of what it was. I know the Q2 is $5000 new and they will pay maybe $3500 for it and want to sell it for like 25% or so more for profit like $4200.

I tend not to do business with family or friends. If anything happens it will strain or ruin the relationship.

Foskito

Lens...

the Q-P new was $5000 (plus tax). I haven't seen any used Q2 for less than $4250-4500...

Foskito wrote:

Lens...

the Q-P new was $5000 (plus tax). I haven't seen any used Q2 for less than $4250-4500...

Your call... If I was ready to spend almost $3300 on a used camera I would really think hard myself if that is what I wanted or if i was trying to get something in the interim.

You wont get back your $3300 if you sell this used camera again used... You are like $1700 away from a new Q2 and maybe double that if you go back later to sell the QP.

If you want the QP and you will be happy that is all that matters. Just saying there are many ways to spend $3300 (whatever) weigh the options and only you know what your plans are to make every dollar work in your favor.

If it is not for you say no and move on, another reason why I prefer never to do business with family or friends can make things awkward if you decide to pull out and that person has already counted that $3300 in their pocket. Money is money and do what is right for you with no loyalty.. Still I would always be careful how far I proceed in negotiations.  You should not feel trapped or obligated.  Again if you are golden with the deal do it.

NickDakota Forum Member • Posts: 57

Yes that's a good deal. In line with other QPs I've seen. So if it's a good condition one, go for it. It's gorgeous and very durable.

Yes you can get the same camera for 1k less with the regular Q but that's not what you're asking. If I didn't just get a good deal on an M10 I was looking for a QP also. Best looking camera I've ever seen. To some that might matter, but to me it does

Joon Lee
Joon Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I don't know.  The Q2 is a significant upgrade to the Q/Q-P:

weather sealing,

double the resolution,

better EVF,

better/stronger battery,

better autofocus;

faster shooting.

Used Q2s are going for $3,999 (lowest I've seen) to around $4,300.

Just saying...

Joon Lee's gear list:Joon Lee's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10-D Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH +1 more

I will say the extra resolution of the Q2 is one of a few reasons I bought it.  I still shoot my Sony A7 iii, but just have / need two lenses for that at the moment.

The Q2 cant be my only camera since I do want telephoto options

aknyc Regular Member • Posts: 470

I got my Q2 for $4000 in mint condition.

The higher resolution is great.

the weather sealing is important. I had dust on the sensor in the original Q. It was an expensive cleaning from Leica..

aknyc's gear list:aknyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Leica M10-P +21 more
Foskito

I agree that a used Q2 for $4000 is a much better deal than a used QP for $3250, so I will pass on that. Maybe in the future, if I decided to sell my M9P -which I love- I might consider the Q2. Thanks for your thoughts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads