Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

That is exactly the one I have. (well, the printing on the lens is the same anyway).   Did you buy it second hand or new?  If it came in the original box, did it have a sticker that says it was "optimized for D5300 (or something like that)" on it?  If not, it may require a firmware update.   If you bought it new I'd go back to the retailer and have them update it; some of the earlier ones that did not get firmware updated won't work properly on cameras newer than D5200 (at least that's where I think they had to re-firmware to work with Nikon).

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

 Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Tootsall wrote:

That is exactly the one I have. (well, the printing on the lens is the same anyway). Did you buy it second hand or new? If it came in the original box, did it have a sticker that says it was "optimized for D5300 (or something like that)" on it? If not, it may require a firmware update. If you bought it new I'd go back to the retailer and have them update it; some of the earlier ones that did not get firmware updated won't work properly on cameras newer than D5200 (at least that's where I think they had to re-firmware to work with Nikon).

This may apply:

Various lenses shipped from SIGMA before November, 2013
We have previously confirmed that some phenomena such as AF not working correctly with some lenses released or shipped from SIGMA before November, 2013, when they are used on Nikon’s digital SLR cameras incorporating the latest firmware. Under this circumstance, we will update the lens firmware free of charge. If the products do not operate on a Z7, even when they are listed above, the lens firmware update may improve the situation.

For customers who have these applicable products, please contact your nearest authorized SIGMA subsidiary / distributor for further details.

But if it were me I would return the lens.

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

ZapperVT wrote:

Tootsall wrote:

That is exactly the one I have. (well, the printing on the lens is the same anyway). Did you buy it second hand or new? If it came in the original box, did it have a sticker that says it was "optimized for D5300 (or something like that)" on it? If not, it may require a firmware update. If you bought it new I'd go back to the retailer and have them update it; some of the earlier ones that did not get firmware updated won't work properly on cameras newer than D5200 (at least that's where I think they had to re-firmware to work with Nikon).

This may apply:

Various lenses shipped from SIGMA before November, 2013
We have previously confirmed that some phenomena such as AF not working correctly with some lenses released or shipped from SIGMA before November, 2013, when they are used on Nikon’s digital SLR cameras incorporating the latest firmware. Under this circumstance, we will update the lens firmware free of charge. If the products do not operate on a Z7, even when they are listed above, the lens firmware update may improve the situation.

For customers who have these applicable products, please contact your nearest authorized SIGMA subsidiary / distributor for further details.

But if it were me I would return the lens.

Thank you for the information. I had a discussion with the guy l bought it from yesterday and said I wanted to return the lens as it seems to be affected by what you mention. He was informed that I should use the lens on a Z50 with adapter. The seller is refusing to take the lens back and I'm stuck with a lens that doesn't work properly. I think I have to contact a Sigma subsidiary to check what can be done with the lens. Not much money we talk about here, but a nuisance all the same. Tanks again for good help.

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Well that is a DX lens so it would only work on a Z50 OR a Z5,6, or 7 in crop mode.

By the way, the Sigma tuning dock will not work on this lens.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

 Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
YRUNVS
YRUNVS Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
1

Unfortunately it seems older versions of this lens need a firmware update. I have this lens and it works well with my DSLR's it refuses to focus on my Z7 w/ FTZ.  The copy of this lens I bought for my father (3-4 years newer than mine) works without problem on the Z50 I subsequently purchased for him.  If the seller is giving you headaches about returning the lens, you may wish to contact Sigma to see what having the firmware updated would entail.

Best of luck.

 YRUNVS's gear list:YRUNVS's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Sorry you have this problem. I didn't know there was a firmware update for this lens. I think contacting Sigma tech support is your best bet.  Let us know how it goes.

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
3

YRUNVS wrote:

Unfortunately it seems older versions of this lens need a firmware update. I have this lens and it works well with my DSLR's it refuses to focus on my Z7 w/ FTZ. The copy of this lens I bought for my father (3-4 years newer than mine) works without problem on the Z50 I subsequently purchased for him. If the seller is giving you headaches about returning the lens, you may wish to contact Sigma to see what having the firmware updated would entail.

Best of luck.

Thank you. I contacted Sigma today and they told me to send it in for an update of the firmware. In their opinion this will do the trick. I will give it a try and keep my fingers crossed. The update is free of charge.

OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
1

ZapperVT wrote:

Sorry you have this problem. I didn't know there was a firmware update for this lens. I think contacting Sigma tech support is your best bet. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you. I will send it to Sigma tech support tomorrow. I will post an update (no pun intended) when it returns:)

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

In all transparency, you did ask if this lens would work on Z50 and so that is what was addressed in the topic. Putting it on Z5,6, or 7 was never discussed.  And again, this is a “crop lens” designed for DX format, not FF.

I hope that Sigma are able to sort it for you and you get many years of happy shooting with it.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

 Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Tootsall wrote:

In all transparency, you did ask if this lens would work on Z50 and so that is what was addressed in the topic. Putting it on Z5,6, or 7 was never discussed. And again, this is a “crop lens” designed for DX format, not FF.

I hope that Sigma are able to sort it for you and you get many years of happy shooting with it. Good luck.

I was very clear that the lens should be used on a Z50 with adapter. The seller who claims to be an experienced photographer must have known that the lens would require an update. That’s why I’m a bit pi..ed on the seller. You don’t do bussiness that way with fellow photographers. Period. I hope Sigma tech support will fix this.

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Well, for what it’s worth, when I bought my Z50 a couple of months ago I simply mounted the Sigma on the FTZ and started shooting with it.  It never got this latest “Z7” update.  The last time it saw the Sigma (or any) service department was to warrantee repair a bad focus issue back in 2014.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

 Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
2

Tootsall wrote:

In all transparency, you did ask if this lens would work on Z50 and so that is what was addressed in the topic. Putting it on Z5,6, or 7 was never discussed. And again, this is a “crop lens” designed for DX format, not FF.

I hope that Sigma are able to sort it for you and you get many years of happy shooting with it. Good luck.

This isn't an issue about FX vs DX.  The OP's problem is compatibility of an older instance of the lens with the FTZ.  Apparently there was a firmware update years ago to address AF issues with the D5300, well before the Z cameras were released.

Perhaps the misunderstanding is related to the Sigma document I linked that showed lens compatibility tested on a Z7 + FTZ.  I assume that a lens that works on a Z7 will work on a Z50 (and Z6, Z5) too.  The Z7 automatically switches to DX crop with a DX lens, so there's not a problem with image size or crop factor.

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

I agree with you...the lens Egil received was apparently never updated (or maybe has a different problem?) with the firmware necessary to get it to work with the Nikon DX cameras after the D5200 which is the point I made several posts back.

Egil, please let us know what happens and how it works when you get it back.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

 Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Tootsall wrote:

I agree with you...the lens Egil received was apparently never updated (or maybe has a different problem?) with the firmware necessary to get it to work with the Nikon DX cameras after the D5200 which is the point I made several posts back.

Egil, please let us know what happens and how it works when you get it back. Good luck.

Thank you I will:)

Armando Bandero Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
1

I have two Sigma (late model) lenses.  The 17-50 f2.8 and the 105 f2.8 macro.  They both work flawlessly with the FTZ adapter.  And they both are awesome lenses.

OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Armando Bandero wrote:

I have two Sigma (late model) lenses. The 17-50 f2.8 and the 105 f2.8 macro. They both work flawlessly with the FTZ adapter. And they both are awesome lenses.

Good to know. Mine is off for firmware update

OP Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
6

My lens has returned from Sigma with the latest firmware, and it works flawlesly on my Nikon Z50. After a very brief test it seems to have very good IQ and reasonable quick af, at least good enough for my use. I am a happy man.

ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50
1

Egil Stroemme wrote:

My lens has returned from Sigma with the latest firmware, and it works flawlesly on my Nikon Z50. After a very brief test it seems to have very good IQ and reasonable quick af, at least good enough for my use. I am a happy man.

I'm glad it worked out well for you!

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,633
Re: Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 on Z50

Egil Stroemme wrote:

My lens has returned from Sigma with the latest firmware, and it works flawlesly on my Nikon Z50. After a very brief test it seems to have very good IQ and reasonable quick af, at least good enough for my use. I am a happy man.

As they say, All's Well That Ends Well! Enjoy Egil!

 24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads