Got the S5

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
Got the S5

The participants on this forum have to bear the blame or praise for my decision.  Seriously, I got a lot out of the various comments here in the last couple of months. I ordered my kit with the 20-60 from Amazon yesterday and it came today; I'll never understand how they do that. Anyway, it looks like they still have them in stock if anyone else wants to join the club.

Currently waiting for the battery to charge of course. Why does that seem like such a long time?

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +6 more
cf782 Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Congratulations!

I have S1R. One main reason I pick S1R over S5 was the EVF, I love the EVF on S1R.

cf782's gear list:cf782's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Dick Barbour
OP Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
Re: Congratulations!

cf782 wrote:

I have S1R. One main reason I pick S1R over S5 was the EVF, I love the EVF on S1R.

Thanks. I'm sure the S1R is better in a lot of ways, but size/weight was important to me. Comparing the S5 to my G9, the S5 is about the same size but definitely feels more substantial.  I'm just dipping into FF after quite a while with m43, and it's going to be interesting.

Dick

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +6 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: Got the S5

I am in your same boat going from m43 to FF.  You will be amazed at how clean the files are and shooting pictures at high ISO with very little noise.  I am very glad that I am making the switch.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421

Congrats, Dick!

Also an S1R owner here, but I think you will love the S5 and everything the S-series has to offer. The high ISO performance can be jaw-dropping.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
Dick Barbour

Thanks all! I appreciate the encouragement.

DIck

cf782 Contributing Member • Posts: 845

Dick Barbour wrote:

cf782 wrote:

Thanks. I'm sure the S1R is better in a lot of ways, but size/weight was important to me. Comparing the S5 to my G9, the S5 is about the same size but definitely feels more substantial. I'm just dipping into FF after quite a while with m43, and it's going to be interesting.

Dick

I love both FF and MFT, planned to keep both. The S1R body was heavy indeed. For smaller size and compactness, I would pick my E-M1.2 with some zooms or primes. For travel, my favorite pick would be E-M1.2 + 12-100 F4.0 and 45mm F1.2.

A few days ago, I picked up a Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN lens, which is surprisingly light and compact for a FF!

cf782's gear list:cf782's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Dick Barbour

Went out this morning with the S5 and 20-60. Light was kind of weak but there was a nice sky so it was a good day for a test run. I'll have to say, any thoughts that I might not keep this camera are not in play anymore. Handling is very nice and quality is all I could ask for. I wasn't sure about the 20-60 zoom range but I like it after all.

Dick

Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,884

Very nice pictures.  I am really thrilled with the camera.  Problem is it is making my Covid -Fatigue even worse.  I just cannot wait to get outside and take pictures.  The files are so clean and the colors are great.  I too have found the 20-60 lens much better than I expected.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
John W H Contributing Member • Posts: 731

I did the same with the S1, but I'm now selling my m43 kit to fund lenses for the S1. After seeing the images from the S I found myself reluctant to use the m43 other than for long telephoto reach.

For travel I just tend to take my Fuji X100T.

Enjoy the new camera.

John

John W H's gear list:John W H's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic S1 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Dick Barbour

Dr Hal wrote:

Very nice pictures. I am really thrilled with the camera. Problem is it is making my Covid -Fatigue even worse. I just cannot wait to get outside and take pictures. The files are so clean and the colors are great. I too have found the 20-60 lens much better than I expected.

Hal

Thanks. It's a pleasure to use something so nicely done. I was very surprised also about the 20-60; it turns out to be an excellent range for part of what I like to take, namely landscapes, and has good image quality throughout the range.

Dick

Dick Barbour

John W H wrote:

I did the same with the S1, but I'm now selling my m43 kit to fund lenses for the S1. After seeing the images from the S I found myself reluctant to use the m43 other than for long telephoto reach.

Enjoy the new camera.

John

I'll probably end up selling some m43 gear also, but there is the quandary of what other L lenses to get? I'm not a prime person, and the longer zooms are big, heavy and expensive. I will for sure keep my G9 and the long zooms, 50-200 and 100-400, but it's the intermediate range that I'm concerned about. I'm quite happy with the Oly 12-100 for both range and IQ, and can't see getting rid of it or having it sit around unused. So although I'm quite thrilled with my first experience with the S5, I'm not sure where to go from here. A nice kind of problem to have, I guess.

Dick

Fairlane Regular Member • Posts: 421
  1. John W H wrote:

Enjoy the new camera.

John

I hear you. I kept some m43 gear when I got my S5. After about 2 months with the S5 I have not touched the m43 gear at all, so recently sold the rest of it and got the Sigma 100-400. Love this camera!

Fairlane's gear list:Fairlane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN
Dick Barbour

Fairlane wrote:

1. John W H wrote:

Enjoy the new camera.

John

I hear you. I kept some m43 gear when I got my S5. After about 2 months with the S5 I have not touched the m43 gear at all, so recently sold the rest of it and got the Sigma 100-400. Love this camera!

Probably something similar will happen to me. The S5 is so good it changes everything, and this is coming from someone who tried Sony FF with excellent glass. I was unimpressed and stayed with m43.

Dick

John W H Contributing Member • Posts: 731

How do you find the 100-400?

John W H's gear list:John W H's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic S1 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Fairlane Regular Member • Posts: 421

John W H wrote:

How do you find the 100-400?

I quite like it so far. It seems pretty sharp all the way to 400,. It renders quite nice and has a "quiet" background blur/bokeh. It does require a steady hand though, ideally a tripod, or some sort of support. AF is good in daylight, starts hunting a little i dim light/darker scenes, as expected. Seems well built. For the price paid, I think it's a very nice lens.

Fairlane's gear list:Fairlane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN
Unknown User 953359 New Member • Posts: 9
Beautiful! (nt)

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads