Please treat the hosts well.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JahnG
JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013
Please treat the hosts well.

There is a diminishing amount of members in the DPR forum who are willing to use their valuable spare time to perform the ungrateful task as a non paid, voluntary host.

Please let the hosts perform their task without the eternal complaining about everything possible, (from DQ pictures to unclear responses up to challenge themes that aren't PC enough for some members).

Please remember that the host is the sole judge to decide if a picture fulfills the rules the host himself/herself has set up, not the entrants. Also in unclear case or even if the host is seemingly wrong in his judgement his verdict stands. As a member stated in another thread:  "The bottom line is that if a host believes their rules have been broken they are fully entitled to disqualify an entry".    Not much to add to that.

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-r Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-S1
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Re: Please treat the hosts well.

Well said Jahn.

Have you noticed that the latest threads on this forum that bashed By Standing.... has resulted in the three challenges he had in the various stages, disappearing?

Either DPReview have removed them because of the kerfuffle or By Standing... has finally had enough of the whining and taken our toys away as we were not worthy. Which, as a group, we weren't.

David Omara Forum Member • Posts: 68

Yes on the whole they do a fantastic job. I would like to single out Frenchfx and gidgetto as especially deserving of praise and appreciation.

They are some of longest serving hosts and do this week in and week out with barely a fuss or a problem and just keep churning them out. Well done and gracious thanks to both of them.

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 3,879

Yes, that was me who said that in the other thread.

Thank you for trying to protect me but rest assured I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself on the www

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818
I apologize

I had not participated in this forum until the past few months and I assumed it was intended for questions and discussion about the way the challenges are working.

I took my cues from other threads I have seen regarding entry disqualifications, cheating, etc. which appeared to be appropriate (if unpleasant) topics.

I'm sorry to have raised the issue regarding my disqualification by "BSOTSOG's". Please accept my apologies. I have entered many challenges and certainly appreciate the efforts involved.

-- hide signature --

DS

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 355

JahnG wrote:

There is a diminishing amount of members in the DPR forum who are willing to use their valuable spare time to perform the ungrateful task as a non paid, voluntary host.

Please let the hosts perform their task without the eternal complaining about everything possible, (from DQ pictures to unclear responses up to challenge themes that aren't PC enough for some members).

Please remember that the host is the sole judge to decide if a picture fulfills the rules the host himself/herself has set up, not the entrants. Also in unclear case or even if the host is seemingly wrong in his judgement his verdict stands. As a member stated in another thread: "The bottom line is that if a host believes their rules have been broken they are fully entitled to disqualify an entry". Not much to add to that.

Agree with that Jahn.

The hosts are not perfect in interpreting and applying their own rules, no one can be.  I simply ask for consistency as the main attribute.

And no one is defending bad behaviour.  But make sure that the complaint is valid before airing it.

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Re: Please treat the hosts well. (Good bye)

cjf2 wrote:

Well said Jahn.

Have you noticed that the latest threads on this forum that bashed By Standing.... has resulted in the three challenges he had in the various stages, disappearing?

Either DPReview have removed them because of the kerfuffle or By Standing... has finally had enough of the whining and taken our toys away as we were not worthy. Which, as a group, we weren't.

Dear cjf2,

I hope you see this message, because it will be my last one. I owe it to you and all the participants of Challenges to clarify that yes; my challenge series has ended. (I actually found out via your post). I always thought you guys in DPReview, as a group, are super worthy.

I think after years, and decades of hosting it's time to leave. Before I do, I hope the moderator allow me to clarify the account of what happened:

1) I post a challenge which opens this coming Sunday called Man@Work (you can see the screenshot on my gallery)

2) a member complained on 'Site and Feedback' of possible Transphobia and Gender Bias

3) to alleviate their concern, I posted 2 sample pics (also on my gallery), including one featuring a cross-dressing singer cheekily talking up a customer in an open air lamb BBQ/beer garden place in Beijing. I titled the entry "He Works Hard for His Money Too", noting that the singer "is indeed a man, with deep voice, an Adam's apple and biceps bigger than his customer's".

4) I would like to offer my apologies if this challenge makes the complainer feel panic or hate, because there is none such thought that crossed my mind. Like Cyndi Lauper said, "Don't swing your sword and shield against the night".

5) I would also like to offer my apologies to VinneB50 and Darrell Spreen for the confusion arising from their disqualifications.

6) To VinneB50, I should have written, "Dear VinneB50, the challenge called for the omission of human beings from your Snow Covered Landscape photo. Kindly resubmit another photo as your previous entry have a few in it". For not doing that, I'm sorry.

7) To Darrell Spreen, I would like to apologise to your wife for my insensitivity. My Disqualification message should have read "I honestly can't make out if your main subject is a man or a woman. Could you clarify? Would it be possible to resubmit a better one where his face is clearer? I'm also sorry to outright DQ your entry, as I can't send private messages".

8) To David1961, you're right that these challenges should be about fun. When people decide to enter woman pics and or even one of a bronze statue into the "Man's Silhouette" challenge I had to make an executive decision. If I had left them in, then people would not take my challenges seriously, wouldn't you agree?

9) To Ruth, wherever you are - Thank you. We started on the wrong foot, mainly over the pic size issue. And for that I'm sorry. Thank you for helping me out when I privately messaged you (years ago) asking for your help to look at a photo because I can't tell if it's a seed or a flower. Thank you for being big-hearted and sharing your wisdom with me; I'm grateful.

10) To the others, who always participated in my challenges (you know who you are) ...*Thank You*

11) To tasad - Thank you.

12) To DPR and the moderators - I came here cos I love photography. A big Thank you for being the place to learn, enjoy and express my creativity for so many years. No one's an angel and there have been times I was out of line.  For that I'm sorry.

Goodbye everybody and take care. I won't be coming back to post challenges or to the forum under this or any other username whatsoever.  Peace.

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
JahnG
OP JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013

cjf2 wrote:

Well said Jahn.

It seems that "By Standing..." has disappeared totally from DPR, even his "name" has disappeared from older finished challenges. So we have again lost a host     The old hypothesis, the more complaining, the less remaining hosts, has once again been proved.

Even if I haven't always agreed with this host, and have rarely attended his challenges, I must say I have highly admired his energy and his ability to create interesting  "out of the box" challenges!

I do not in any way underrate the remaining hosts, on the contrary, but the disappearing of a somewhat "different" kind of host absolutely leaves the challenges "poorer".

Jahn

Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-r Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-S1
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

I think after years, and decades of hosting it's time to leave.

To DPR and the moderators - I came here cos I love photography. A big Thank you for being the place to learn, enjoy and express my creativity for so many years. No one's an angel and there have been times I was out of line. For that I'm sorry.

Goodbye everybody and take care. I won't be coming back to post challenges or to the forum under this or any other username whatsoever. Peace.

I’m sorry to see you go but I think that is a fine goodbye statement. Even I am surprised and touched by your apologies to various people along the way. I hope some critics will see that there was more to you than usually revealed. 
Thank you for your efforts in running your challenges and I hope you continue to enjoy your photography. Good luck.

tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,158

It is very sad that you are leaving and no longer will be with us.

Your challenges have been very interesting for people who enter and those who vote on your challenges.

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 934

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

10) To the others, who always participated in my challenges (you know who you are) ...*Thank You*

Goodbye everybody and take care. I won't be coming back to post challenges or to the forum under this or any other username whatsoever. Peace.

Thanks to you for your creativity.

I am a fan of yours and will miss your Challenges.

Good luck to you wherever your path leads.

-- hide signature --

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin
You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR.

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more

JahnG wrote:

cjf2 wrote:

Well said Jahn.

It seems that "By Standing..." has disappeared totally from DPR, even his "name" has disappeared from older finished challenges. So we have again lost a host The old hypothesis, the more complaining, the less remaining hosts, has once again been proved.

Even if I haven't always agreed with this host, and have rarely attended his challenges, I must say I have highly admired his energy and his ability to create interesting "out of the box" challenges!

I do not in any way underrate the remaining hosts, on the contrary, but the disappearing of a somewhat "different" kind of host absolutely leaves the challenges "poorer".

Jahn

Hear, hear.  Well said.

Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,377

JahnG wrote:

It seems that "By Standing..." has disappeared totally from DPR, even his "name" has disappeared from older finished challenges. So we have again lost a host The old hypothesis, the more complaining, the less remaining hosts, has once again been proved.

Even if I haven't always agreed with this host, and have rarely attended his challenges, I must say I have highly admired his energy and his ability to create interesting "out of the box" challenges!

I'm pretty new to the challenge scene (did my first entry and had my first disqualification this month!) but I have to say I was pretty turned off by what I perceived as a gender bias in his challenges. One challenge I can understand -- "Show me a woman by a lake." But a SERIES of challenges in which only photos of males were sought, and pictures in which the gender isn't clear being disqualified? Sorry, but that's just creepy.

Regarding the lack of hosts -- I'll put my $$ where my mouth is and sign up as a challenge host. I already spend too much time in the forums when I should be working...

Aaron

-- hide signature --
JahnG
OP JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013

Autonerd wrote:

JahnG wrote:

I'm pretty new to the challenge scene (did my first entry and had my first disqualification this month!) but I have to say I was pretty turned off by what I perceived as a gender bias in his challenges. One challenge I can understand -- "Show me a woman by a lake." But a SERIES of challenges in which only photos of males were sought, and pictures in which the gender isn't clear being disqualified? Sorry, but that's just creepy.

Regarding the lack of hosts -- I'll put my $$ where my mouth is and sign up as a challenge host. I already spend too much time in the forums when I should be working...

Aaron

Welcome as a Host, we need new fresh hosts!

BTW, there is a long story concerning that host, which I won't comment any more.

However, to be fair against this host, basically everything he did create lately as a  challenge host was complained upon by some (very "PC") people. The most fun (not) thing was when he, (as an Asian person himself), was accused of looking down at Asian women, which was absolutely not the case. There is no "rhyme or reason" in such accusation. That's why he finallytried to only have challenges with male pictures, to avoid all that complaining. But no, the complaining just continued

PS, when starting as a host YOU will be the sole judge of your own rules. So then you too will (or should) DQ pictures you do not think are against YOUR rules.

Regards

Jahn

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,377

JahnG wrote:

Thanks -- but apparently I haven't been accepted yet. Not sure how long that process takes.

Aaron

-- hide signature --

Autonerd wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Thanks -- but apparently I haven't been accepted yet. Not sure how long that process takes.

Aaron

Not an immediate approval process, but no overly long.  They may be vetting that you have some experience with entering the challenges, but that should be a really fast process for a moderator.  I don't think it will be too long after the weekend to get notice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads