Filter Step Up Rings

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
pcrc11 Contributing Member • Posts: 760
Filter Step Up Rings

I am looking for a GOOD step up ring for 82mm filter on a 77mm Lens. I am using Polar Pro filters and already have a brass Luzid step up ring. This thing will instantly lock onto the filter as soon as it bottoms out and makes the slightest contact on the filter surface. Only way I can remove it is to keep it under a hot lamp until it expands just enough to release. I have looked at multiple step up rings on BH site and there is not a single one that does not have reviews claiming they stick as well,, including the very expensive ones. What are some suggestions as to what works or provides a suitable solution to solve this problem short of coating the surface with oil or grease as I am not really keen on doing it that close to my glass.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,777
Re: Filter Step Up Rings

pcrc11 wrote:

I am looking for a GOOD step up ring for 82mm filter on a 77mm Lens. I am using Polar Pro filters and already have a brass Luzid step up ring. This thing will instantly lock onto the filter as soon as it bottoms out and makes the slightest contact on the filter surface. Only way I can remove it is to keep it under a hot lamp until it expands just enough to release. I have looked at multiple step up rings on BH site and there is not a single one that does not have reviews claiming they stick as well,, including the very expensive ones. What are some suggestions as to what works or provides a suitable solution to solve this problem short of coating the surface with oil or grease as I am not really keen on doing it that close to my glass.

Sticky rings: I find the solution is as old as - wipe a finger down the side of the nose and then wipe that finger on the offending threads before assembly. They then come apart easily.

Always have a pair of rubber gloves, like washing up kitchen gloves, they can also help get more grip when rings stick. Plus gentle heat of course at times as you already know.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
OP pcrc11 Contributing Member • Posts: 760

I will try that but I dont really believe the stickyness is a thread galling issue as much as it just the metal to metal surface tension that is occurring between the machined flat surfaces of the ring and the filter coming into contact as they are screwed together.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 884

I use a soft graphite pencil to deposit a bit of graphite  on the threads and then stop short of bottoming out the thread

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +8 more
Guy Parsons

pcrc11 wrote:

I will try that but I dont really believe the stickyness is a thread galling issue as much as it just the metal to metal surface tension that is occurring between the machined flat surfaces of the ring and the filter coming into contact as they are screwed together.

The nose wipe grease on the mating flat surfaces will also help. Usually though it seems to be just the thread issue when bottomed, so helping the threads helps most.

I've used nose wipe on lens mount surfaces for those occasional tight lenses and seems to help.

I've never had a problem with sticking once I learned the ancient nose grease trick.

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more

When using a circular polarizing filter I really have no choice when constantly turning the filter back and forth. I try to stay aware of the filter thread position but invariably sooner or later it bottoms and I have found that it only takes a fractional touch of that bottoming out and it is locked tight.

Guy Parsons wrote:

pcrc11 wrote:

The nose wipe grease on the mating flat surfaces will also help. Usually though it seems to be just the thread issue when bottomed, so helping the threads helps most.

I've used nose wipe on lens mount surfaces for those occasional tight lenses and seems to help.

I've never had a problem with sticking once I learned the ancient nose grease trick.

I guess I have drier skin but I just dont see me having enough grease on my nose,,, at least on the outside :-),,, to coat all the way around the threads

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,054

pcrc11 wrote:

I never have any problem. I add the step-ring to the lens first. Then just snug up the filter. It helps to use a filter wrench, but you have a better grip that way. If you mount the step-ring directly to the filter, they all can stick, especially if the temperature changes.

Guy Parsons

pcrc11 wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

pcrc11 wrote:

I guess I have drier skin but I just dont see me having enough grease on my nose,,, at least on the outside :-),,, to coat all the way around the threads

All I need to do is to rub the tip of my finger against the side of the nose, in the fold at the bottom next to the cheek, then wipe that finger tip around the threads. Repeat a couple of times to get all there is to get off the nose and the threads well covered. There's never any visible grease, simply a smoother surface feel.

Might not work within an hour or two after having a shower, may take a couple of hours for skin grease to reappear.

That simple trick has always made a rough feeling and sticking thread go smoothly and not stick when bottomed against a second ring. It works for me.

If your nose isn't greasy enough then borrow someone else's nose.

Web pages suggest all sorts of answers, a common one is rub a soft graphite pencil around the threads and dust off as much as possible, but my nose is always within reach so it wins for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads