Lens purchase decision - advice please

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 851
Re: Lens purchase decision - advice please

TeeJay626 wrote:

Decision made, and purchase made.

I am getting the Canon 100-400L II. It should be delivered tomorrow as I ordered it from my local camera shop. After considering everything, and reading countless reviews, I just remembered back to August when I had the lens in my hands and taking shots. Then how blown away I was when I did my post processing.

I'm still debating on purchasing the Canon 1.4x III TC at some point, but since I shoot with the 77D, which is APS-C, I don't know if I need it right away. I do plan to upgrade to either the R5 or R6 at some point, but that's probably at least a year or more away.

I do have the Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4x TC which has worked well for me in the past, but this TC does not work on the 77D. It worked fine on m previous 60D, and still works on my wife's T3i, so I do plan to test the 100-400 with this TC on her camera. If I REALLY need the extra reach, I will just use her camera for now.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. It did help make my decision a little easier. I'll post pics when I test out the lens.

You made a good decision.   I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures with it.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,962

Congrats. Check your camera and see if the 1.4x III helps. On my mk IV, it gives me a lot more AF points vs 1.4x II.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 393

Well......

My 100-400L II arrived today, and.....  It's going right back tomorrow to my local shop where I bought it for an exchange.  Something is way out of whack.  It's extremely soft at any focal length, and it's missing focus.  When I test focus speed, it's slower than an original EF-S 75-300!

The only thing I can think of is something happened during shipping, and either some elements shifted or something.  It was packed very well with a lot of shipping material inside to cushion it, but there was a small gash in the outer box.

I already spoke with the camera shop (they're amazing, BTW) and they put another one aside for me when I get there tomorrow.  I tested it on my 77D and my wife's T3i, and there is definitely something wrong.

Ugh... nothing more disappointing when you spend a good amount of money on professional gear, and it doesn't work.  I still have high hopes, as the one I rented in August for my Yellowstone trip was amazing.

Here's a few shots to show what I mean.

Just checking the focus points

Grid shot.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +6 more
gavin

Dog seems to be in focus. I noticed you are using high ISOs.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,430

Nick5 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

I apologize if this goes a little long, but I need advice on a purchase I will be making very soon. I've given advice several times here, but really need a little "nudge."

I primarily shoot wildlife, and every year, go on a multi-week trip out west, primarily to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. This past August, we also visited Glacier for the first time (wow!).

I currently have a Canon 77D (don't judge me lol) and for this year's trip, I rented a Canon 100-400L II. WOW! To say I was blown away is an understatement. I've owned L glass is the past, which was a 300L f4 IS prime, but this lens is in a league of it's own. Even my wife, who can never understand my frustrations when looking at IQ from a lens, admitted the pics were amazing.

So...

She gave me the go ahead to make the purchase. It should be a no brainer as the results spoke for themselves. But I am also considering another option. Here are my choices:

Canon 100-400L II at $2400US (possibly also getting the 1.4x III TC)

OR

Tamron 150-600 G2 at $1200 plus

Canon 70-200 f4 IS II OR Tamon 70-200 f2.8 G2 (varied prices)

I know in my head the Canon should win out here, seeing the results I got. It paired very well with my 77D. But, the other 2 lenses are also tempting as I've herd very good things about the newer Tamron 150-600, and you can't go wrong with either 70-200.

Thoughts???

You had me at “I shoot primarily Wildlife”

Canon 100-400 L IS Mark II.
Carry on.

I agree 100%.  I owned the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS which was optically stunning and is often compared to the Canon 300 F2.8.  But the IQ of the 100-400ii is as good (except de-focused backgrounds obviously).  But equally important (and for me actually more important) the size, balance and flexibility as well as superb AF and IS meant I ended up never using the Sigma and selling it.

The Sigma and Tamron super tele zooms are great.  But native AF wins every time for me.  For my uses a 70-200 is just not long enough.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 393

gavin wrote:

Dog seems to be in focus. I noticed you are using high ISOs.

It was a severely overcast day and late in the afternoon.  Even in those conditions, I should be getting much better results.

As it was, I took the lens back to the camera shop today and they confirmed the lens is defective.  Focus was hunting all over, and very inaccurate, front focusing sometimes and then back focusing.  They were great and swapped it out for another new one, which works perfectly so far.

My only thought is something must have shifted inside the lens during shipping as certain shipping carriers are known for not being so gentle with boxes.  Either way, I was able to get a new lens which seems to work properly.  I'm hoping for good weather tomorrow so I can go out and shoot, but we'll see.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +6 more
gavin

Good luck with your new copy. I use it all the time and it is a great lens when it is not broken. Here is one from yesterday

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads