Lens purchase decision - advice please

Started 4 months ago | Questions
TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 385
Lens purchase decision - advice please

I apologize if this goes a little long, but I need advice on a purchase I will be making very soon.  I've given advice several times here, but really need a little "nudge."

I primarily shoot wildlife, and every year, go on a multi-week trip out west, primarily to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.  This past August, we also visited Glacier for the first time (wow!).

I currently have a Canon 77D (don't judge me lol) and for this year's trip, I rented a Canon 100-400L II.  WOW!  To say I was blown away is an understatement.  I've owned L glass is the past, which was a 300L f4 IS prime, but this lens is in a league of it's own.  Even my wife, who can never understand my frustrations when looking at IQ from a lens, admitted the pics were amazing.

So...

She gave me the go ahead to make the purchase.  It should be a no brainer as the results spoke for themselves.  But I am also considering another option.  Here are my choices:

Canon 100-400L II at $2400US (possibly also getting the 1.4x III TC)

OR

Tamron 150-600 G2 at $1200 plus

Canon 70-200 f4 IS II OR Tamon 70-200 f2.8 G2 (varied prices)

I know in my head the Canon should win out here, seeing the results I got.  It paired very well with my 77D.  But, the other 2 lenses are also tempting as I've herd very good things about the newer Tamron 150-600, and you can't go wrong with either 70-200.

Thoughts???

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,288
Realistically

Realistically, if you were so blown away with the 100-400 then you should just "get it"

On the other hand, everyone (99%-ile) should have a 70-200 and with a teleconverter you get out to 400 anyway at the cost of only a teleconverter in addition. Here the question devolves into F/2.8 or F/4.......

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,251
Re: Lens purchase decision - advice please

A few years ago I was tossing up whether to take my Tamron 150-600 to a safari trip in South Africa. I ended up taking my Canon 70-300 L instead, and I'm sure I made the right decision. You can read all about it here.

Canon's 70-300 L is a stellar lens. I haven't used the 100-400 L Mk II but I believe it's as good or better. The Tamrons have moved on since I got mine, but I still would think that the Canon is by far the better choice. I was using full frame and doing a fair bit of cropping, but you'll get plenty of reach with 400 on a crop sensor.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,198

I think that the number of threads on here questioning/complaining about either IQ or AF on the 3rd party 150-600mm lenses outweighs the ones commenting how good they are.

This question has come up before (several times) and the answer is always the same - unless you are seriously budget constrained, the Canon EF 100-400L ii is the BEST EF mount lens you can buy in this range (and by range I am including both focal length and price before someone suggests that the EF 200-400L f4 is better).

Also, the fact that your 77D does not have AFMA would also tend to nudge me towards the Canon 100-400L ii. Yes, some of the 3rd party lenses can be adjusted on a dock, but there is nowhere to go on the body.

Isn't there some BF deals (maybe refurbished) on the Canon that might bring the price down a bit ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 385

Andy01 wrote:

I think that the number of threads on here questioning/complaining about either IQ or AF on the 3rd party 150-600mm lenses outweighs the ones commenting how good they are.

This question has come up before (several times) and the answer is always the same - unless you are seriously budget constrained, the Canon EF 100-400L ii is the BEST EF mount lens you can buy in this range (and by range I am including both focal length and price before someone suggests that the EF 200-400L f4 is better).

Also, the fact that your 77D does not have AFMA would also tend to nudge me towards the Canon 100-400L ii. Yes, some of the 3rd party lenses can be adjusted on a dock, but there is nowhere to go on the body.

Isn't there some BF deals (maybe refurbished) on the Canon that might bring the price down a bit ?

Colin

Unfortunately, the BF deals so far are non existent on Canon lenses that I have seen, especially on their refurb site.

I'm definitely not against 3rd party lenses, as I currently have an excellent copy of the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 Contemporary lens and for my wife's T3i, I upgraded her Sigma 18-250 to the newer 18-300 Contemporary.  I was very pleased with the results with that combination for her.  I do have the Sigma dock, and haven't needed to make any adjustments to these lenses, other than firmware updates.

As I said, I am definitely leaning towards the 100-400L, but I do like the option of finally having a 70-200 in my bag.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more

Graham Meale wrote:

A few years ago I was tossing up whether to take my Tamron 150-600 to a safari trip in South Africa. I ended up taking my Canon 70-300 L instead, and I'm sure I made the right decision. You can read all about it here.

Canon's 70-300 L is a stellar lens. I haven't used the 100-400 L Mk II but I believe it's as good or better. The Tamrons have moved on since I got mine, but I still would think that the Canon is by far the better choice. I was using full frame and doing a fair bit of cropping, but you'll get plenty of reach with 400 on a crop sensor.

I've also considered the 70-300L, and heard great things about it, but overall I want the longer reach of the 100-400.  As I mentioned, wildlife photography is my hobby and having as much reach as I can get is important.

I had great results with the 100-400 this year so we'll see what happens.

Re: Realistically

MitchAlsup wrote:

Realistically, if you were so blown away with the 100-400 then you should just "get it"

On the other hand, everyone (99%-ile) should have a 70-200 and with a teleconverter you get out to 400 anyway at the cost of only a teleconverter in addition. Here the question devolves into F/2.8 or F/4.......

Yes, the f2.8 issue lol.  I am definitely leaning towards the 100-400, but you make a great point about having a 70-200, and that is weighing on my mind.

Decisions, decisions....

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,884

Easily best one is Canon but as usual cost more. I use it with the 1.4x III on my 5D IV all the time. I have the 70-200/2.8 but I don't use it for wild life or outdoor action. It is just too short. Since you were wow-ed by it why would you consider the others (still good lenses)

Here is one 100-400 II + 1.4x III in difficult lighting.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Samples

Here are a few shots I took this year with my 77D and 100-400L.  Again, I'm no pro, more of a hobbyist.  But, in my opinion, these pics came out much better than I could have ever imagined.  Some shots I forgot to change my camera settings as we came upon a wildlife opportunity and I was so excited, I forgot to check the camera.

Anyway, here's what I got.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,884
Re: Samples

Nice bald eagle shots

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Nick5
Nick5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

TeeJay626 wrote:

I apologize if this goes a little long, but I need advice on a purchase I will be making very soon. I've given advice several times here, but really need a little "nudge."

I primarily shoot wildlife, and every year, go on a multi-week trip out west, primarily to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. This past August, we also visited Glacier for the first time (wow!).

I currently have a Canon 77D (don't judge me lol) and for this year's trip, I rented a Canon 100-400L II. WOW! To say I was blown away is an understatement. I've owned L glass is the past, which was a 300L f4 IS prime, but this lens is in a league of it's own. Even my wife, who can never understand my frustrations when looking at IQ from a lens, admitted the pics were amazing.

So...

She gave me the go ahead to make the purchase. It should be a no brainer as the results spoke for themselves. But I am also considering another option. Here are my choices:

OR

I know in my head the Canon should win out here, seeing the results I got. It paired very well with my 77D. But, the other 2 lenses are also tempting as I've herd very good things about the newer Tamron 150-600, and you can't go wrong with either 70-200.

Thoughts???

You had me at “I shoot primarily Wildlife”

Canon 100-400 L IS Mark II. 
Carry on.

Nick5's gear list:Nick5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
ffabrici Senior Member • Posts: 1,097
Advice: Buy the 100-400L II

You were blown away by the best lens, so don’t buy something else to save money and regret your decision.

Only alternative I would recommend is the Sigma 60-600 but that is bigger and heavier to lug around.

ffabrici's gear list:ffabrici's gear list
Canon EOS R5
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,437

here is a shot taken with canon 100400 II+ TC 2.0x III:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4528881

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

1Dx4me wrote:

here is a shot taken with canon 100400 II+ TC 2.0x III:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4528881

Great shot.  I think I've made up my mind lol.

Re: Advice: Buy the 100-400L II

ffabrici wrote:

You were blown away by the best lens, so don’t buy something else to save money and regret your decision.

Only alternative I would recommend is the Sigma 60-600 but that is bigger and heavier to lug around.

I'm still leaning towards the 100-400L and probably the 1.4x TC.  I currently have the Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4x TC, but it will not work on any lens on my 77D.  Get's the lens error.  It still works fine on my older T3i.

I took a quick look at the 60-600, but overall I think it's the 100-400L II for me.

Nick5 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

I apologize if this goes a little long, but I need advice on a purchase I will be making very soon. I've given advice several times here, but really need a little "nudge."

I primarily shoot wildlife, and every year, go on a multi-week trip out west, primarily to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. This past August, we also visited Glacier for the first time (wow!).

I currently have a Canon 77D (don't judge me lol) and for this year's trip, I rented a Canon 100-400L II. WOW! To say I was blown away is an understatement. I've owned L glass is the past, which was a 300L f4 IS prime, but this lens is in a league of it's own. Even my wife, who can never understand my frustrations when looking at IQ from a lens, admitted the pics were amazing.

So...

She gave me the go ahead to make the purchase. It should be a no brainer as the results spoke for themselves. But I am also considering another option. Here are my choices:

OR

I know in my head the Canon should win out here, seeing the results I got. It paired very well with my 77D. But, the other 2 lenses are also tempting as I've herd very good things about the newer Tamron 150-600, and you can't go wrong with either 70-200.

Thoughts???

Carry on.

I think you're right.

Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 778

TeeJay626 wrote:

Nick5 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

So...

OR

Thoughts???

Carry on.

I think you're right.

Buy once, cry once.  You will never regret it.

The 100-400 is my only telephoto zoom and probably the last one I will ever buy.  It's a true gem.

Just to add one advantage that it has over all of the other lenses that you are looking at, it has the best close focus of the bunch with O.27-1 magnification.  TCs will increase the magnification directly proportional to their focal length boosts.  So it's almost a macro lens, the perfect lens for a walk in the woods.  If the animals don't show up, there is always something small and interesting to shoot.

If you're wondering about the image stabilization on the 100-400, check out the shutter speed on the spider picture.

It's not bad for outdoor performances, either.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
pcrc11 Contributing Member • Posts: 759

I just bought the Canon 100-400L II and sold my Tamron 150-600G2 and dont regret it one bit.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
Tom59 Senior Member • Posts: 1,275

No brainer. Canon 100 400 w 1.4 tc. for wildlife.

If you were blown away with the images, Im surprised you're even asking. If you dont get it you will always be second guessing your decision.  Simply stellar lens!!!

Decision made, and purchase made.

I am getting the Canon 100-400L II.  It should be delivered tomorrow as I ordered it from my local camera shop.  After considering everything, and reading countless reviews, I just remembered back to August when I had the lens in my hands and taking shots.  Then how blown away I was when I did my post processing.

I'm still debating on purchasing the Canon 1.4x III TC at some point, but since I shoot with the 77D, which is APS-C, I don't know if I need it right away.  I do plan to upgrade to either the R5 or R6 at some point, but that's probably at least a year or more away.

I do have the Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4x TC which has worked well for me in the past, but this TC does not work on the 77D.  It worked fine on m previous 60D, and still works on my wife's T3i, so I do plan to test the 100-400 with this TC on her camera.  If I REALLY need the extra reach, I will just use her camera for now.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.  It did help make my decision a little easier.  I'll post pics when I test out the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads