Safari constantly reloads certain sites

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Michael Dbn Regular Member • Posts: 328
Safari constantly reloads certain sites

Good Day

I am using a 21" iMac bought this year around March.  It runs Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 14.0.  There are certain internet sites (many in fact) which it constantly tells me it is having to reload, and the problem seems to be getting worse.  One is the B&H Photo site.  It is fast getting to the stage when Safari is unusable.  Can anyone suggest a solution to this?  And does anyone know why this is happening?

Help would be appreciated.

Michael

j3ffw
j3ffw Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Safari constantly reloads certain sites

don't have a solution but can confirm this is becoming rather annoying

-- hide signature --

My Architectural Photography Portfolio
http://www.jeffwolfram.com

ChrisLumix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

I'm afraid my ancient iMac (2011) on which I choose to run Mavericks, will only support Safari 9 which is now unusable.

However, I CAN run the latest Firefox and wonder if you've thought of that? There is also a more privacy-minded version of FF called Waterfox, which might be the answer to your prayers.

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,004

Apple has done an excellent job wrecking Safari so I quit using it shortly after the v.13 "upgrade" which disabled all of the privacy extensions I had been using for years.

I have been using Brave for almost a year now and I prefer it to Firefox mainly because IMO Brave is more user-friendly.  Brave is compatible with Chrome extensions.  I currently have 8 installed, most of which are designed to increase Internet privacy and security.

When I ran the new EFF Cover Your Tracks tracking and fingerprinting test my current configuration of Brave was rated at "strongly protected" against Internet tracking.

OP Michael Dbn Regular Member • Posts: 328

lightandaprayer wrote:

Apple has done an excellent job wrecking Safari so I quit using it shortly after the v.13 "upgrade" which disabled all of the privacy extensions I had been using for years.

I have been using Brave for almost a year now and I prefer it to Firefox mainly because IMO Brave is more user-friendly. Brave is compatible with Chrome extensions. I currently have 8 installed, most of which are designed to increase Internet privacy and security.

When I ran the new EFF Cover Your Tracks tracking and fingerprinting test my current configuration of Brave was rated at "strongly protected" against Internet tracking.

Apple seems to be in the process of wrecking everything.  iPhoto  met most of my needs, which are not met by any other programme I have looked at, but it’s replacement Photos is utterly vile.  The iPhone interface is no longer fully internally consistent and sometimes so small that it is hard to read and use (designed solely with 20-30 year olds in mind).  My 2020 iMac gives me the annoying spinning ball for simple tasks and at least as as often as my  2009 one, etc

I may have to consider a third party browser.

Michael

ChrisLumix wrote:

I'm afraid my ancient iMac (2011) on which I choose to run Mavericks, will only support Safari 9 which is now unusable.

However, I CAN run the latest Firefox and wonder if you've thought of that? There is also a more privacy-minded version of FF called Waterfox, which might be the answer to your prayers.

It’s good to hear that that works. I’m beginning to think I may need to use a third party browser but I liked the idea that it was fully integrated with the system.  Did you load Firefox from the Apple app site or direct from Firefox?

Michael

PSGimages
PSGimages Senior Member • Posts: 2,439

Michael Dbn wrote:

Good Day

I am using a 21" iMac bought this year around March. It runs Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 14.0. There are certain internet sites (many in fact) which it constantly tells me it is having to reload, and the problem seems to be getting worse. One is the B&H Photo site. It is fast getting to the stage when Safari is unusable. Can anyone suggest a solution to this? And does anyone know why this is happening?

Michael

Are you on 14.0 or 14.01?  I'm using 14.01 now (macOS 10.15.7 - Catalina) and BHphotovideo works like a champ.  Are you determined not to go to Catalina?

PSGimages's gear list:PSGimages's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +10 more
PSGimages
PSGimages Senior Member • Posts: 2,439

Michael Dbn wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote:

I have been using Brave for almost a year now and I prefer it to Firefox mainly because IMO Brave is more user-friendly. Brave is compatible with Chrome extensions. I currently have 8 installed, most of which are designed to increase Internet privacy and security.

When I ran the new EFF Cover Your Tracks tracking and fingerprinting test my current configuration of Brave was rated at "strongly protected" against Internet tracking.

Apple seems to be in the process of wrecking everything. iPhoto met most of my needs, which are not met by any other programme I have looked at, but it’s replacement Photos is utterly vile. The iPhone interface is no longer fully internally consistent and sometimes so small that it is hard to read and use (designed solely with 20-30 year olds in mind). My 2020 iMac gives me the annoying spinning ball for simple tasks and at least as as often as my 2009 one, etc

I may have to consider a third party browser.

Michael

Lightandaprayer, thanks for the "cover your tracks" link. That's the most thorough one I've seen like that.

I'm using both Safari and Brave and they both work really well... but I'm on Catalina and Safari 14.01.  Brave used to give me some headaches where it would slow to a crawl and think it had to do with having a Thunderbolt hard-wired ethernet connection (via a dock) and wifi active at the same time. Restarting Brave always solved it.  I haven't seen that issue of late.

You really can't go wrong with Brave, though your issues with Safari sound like a unicorn problem, not something typical of Safari.

PSGimages's gear list:PSGimages's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +10 more

PSGimages wrote:

You really can't go wrong with Brave, though your issues with Safari sound like a unicorn problem, not something typical of Safari.

Peter, the change in Safari's handling of extensions has adversely affected many people who rely on extensions to enhance their Internet experience, particularly when it comes to online privacy.

The last time I checked most of the extensions I use had not been replaced with Safari-compatible app versions. On the other hand, they are available in the Chrome store and are compatible with Brave. EFF's Privacy Badger has never been compatible with Safari.

I have also experienced a problem with Safari that causes my 2018 Mac Mini/Mojave to restart. When I don't use Safari, the issue disappears.  Again, it is an issue that I have read also affects other Safari users, albeit nowhere near the number of people affected by the lack of extension compatibility.

I am not surprised that user experiences with Safari can vary greatly since our Macs also vary a lot. . . I'm using an older OS along with a number of 32-bit apps and a smattering of aging Finder Menu Bar apps such as ABMenu (which is currently misbehaving on my wife's 2011 MBP/Mojave but doing OK on my Mac). I'm on the lookout for a DragThing replacement since it isn't going to be upgraded to 64-bit. So It Goes. . .

Brave isn't perfect and on rare occasions I need to use Firefox. But Brave is "more perfect" than Safari in a number of key ways for me. Brave requires some tinkering with its default settings to get it stripped-down to what I really need.

I didn't want to stop using Safari because I hadn't found a replacement that clicked with me. Fortunately, I gave Brave another try (my initial experience when it was introduced was not very positive. . .) and it has improved a lot since then.

ChrisLumix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

Michael Dbn wrote:

ChrisLumix wrote:

It’s good to hear that that works. I’m beginning to think I may need to use a third party browser but I liked the idea that it was fully integrated with the system. Did you load Firefox from the Apple app site or direct from Firefox?

Michael

Direct from Mozilla (who are the Firefox developers).

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

Thank you.

PSGimages wrote:

Michael Dbn wrote:

Good Day

I am using a 21" iMac bought this year around March. It runs Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 14.0. There are certain internet sites (many in fact) which it constantly tells me it is having to reload, and the problem seems to be getting worse. One is the B&H Photo site. It is fast getting to the stage when Safari is unusable. Can anyone suggest a solution to this? And does anyone know why this is happening?

Michael

Are you on 14.0 or 14.01? I'm using 14.01 now (macOS 10.15.7 - Catalina) and BHphotovideo works like a champ. Are you determined not to go to Catalina?

I’m using Safari 14.0

I have seen reports of problems with Catalina  i can’t remember the details  It may have been with dealing with Olympus RAW files, or DxO, both of which would be important to me.  Then there’s always the chance of incompatibility with printer etc. Every new operating system brings pain of various kinds, and in my experience very rarely brings any benefits great enough to make the fuss worthwhile, if any benefits at all.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,968

Michael Dbn wrote:

PSGimages wrote:

Michael Dbn wrote:

Good Day

Michael

Are you on 14.0 or 14.01? I'm using 14.01 now (macOS 10.15.7 - Catalina) and BHphotovideo works like a champ. Are you determined not to go to Catalina?

I’m using Safari 14.0

I have seen reports of problems with Catalina i can’t remember the details It may have been with dealing with Olympus RAW files, or DxO, both of which would be important to me. Then there’s always the chance of incompatibility with printer etc. Every new operating system brings pain of various kinds, and in my experience very rarely brings any benefits great enough to make the fuss worthwhile, if any benefits at all.

B&H's site works fine for me with 14.0 on Catalina.

And so do all my ORF files. But note that Apple STILL doesn't have raw support for the Oly E-M1iii or E-M1x, even though they've been out since the beginning of 2020.

My old Brother printer works fine with it. And BTW, some of the manufacturers have stopped making drivers for macOS, and the solution they suggest is to use Airprint instead, if you can.

Safari is a rather meh browser IMHO, and only now is catching up with features in either Chrome, Firefox, etc. I still use Safari a bunch, but always have at least one other browser to switch to.

robgendreau wrote:

My old Brother printer works fine with it. And BTW, some of the manufacturers have stopped making drivers for macOS, and the solution they suggest is to use Airprint instead, if you can.

"If you can" is the problem. . . I have has zero luck using AirPrint with my HP and Canon inkjet printers. From what I have read in printer forums, I am far from being alone in my bad experience with AirPrint drivers. Why Apple has the AirPrint drivers load as the default driver is a mystery to me.

"And BTW, some of the manufacturers have stopped making drivers for macOS" -  this seems bizarre, and anti-competitive too.  It plays into the hands of Microsoft.

Michael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads