I was trying out my 56mm Sigma and 85mm Canon 1.8 today, both great lenses.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Barry Reynolds
Barry Reynolds Forum Member • Posts: 92
I was trying out my 56mm Sigma and 85mm Canon 1.8 today, both great lenses.

I was trying out my 56mm Sigma and 85mm Canon 1.8 today, both great lenses. I prefer them to my 70-200 f4 mainly because they make me think much more as zoom can make you lazy. They were shot around f2.5. I find less than this creates too shallow depth of field.

Barry Reynolds's gear list:Barry Reynolds's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Tomsop New Member • Posts: 16
Re: I was trying out my 56mm Sigma and 85mm Canon 1.8 today, both great lenses.

Thanks for posting - will you be posting more or pics from the 85mm lens?  Very nice details.

bowserb Forum Member • Posts: 94

The Canon 85 1.8 is a sleeper lens for Canon.  I've know several pros who love it for head/shoulders portraits with full frame cameras (a little long for that in a crop camera, though.)  Lack of IS and less than optimum bokeh are its only minor drawbacks considering its price.  I often use a Metabones Speedbooster adapter with the M50, and that combination becomes a 96mm F1.2 equivalent.  (Lots of math figuring out crop plus Speedbooster end results: native focal length x 1.6 x .71=96.6).

bowserb's gear list:bowserb's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M50 +11 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,928

bowserb wrote:

The Canon 85 1.8 is a sleeper lens for Canon. I've know several pros who love it for head/shoulders portraits with full frame cameras (a little long for that in a crop camera, though.) Lack of IS and less than optimum bokeh are its only minor drawbacks considering its price. I often use a Metabones Speedbooster adapter with the M50, and that combination becomes a 96mm F1.2 equivalent. (Lots of math figuring out crop plus Speedbooster end results: native focal length x 1.6 x .71=96.6).

I think you'll find it's more like 96mm F2 equivalent. Without the Speedbooster, the 85 F1.8 is 136mm F2.8 equivalent. The Speedbooster gives an extra stop.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads