Any recommendations for long-focus >200mm M42 lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 18,556
Any recommendations for long-focus >200mm M42 lens?

Background to the question is that I bought a Lumix DC-G9 so as to get IBIS for my Takumar 24mm and Zeiss-Jena 35mm M42 legacy lenses. But then I bought the X-Vario 12-35mm which is certainly "better" at 24mm and at least good enough at 35mm.

Being unwilling to let go of my expensive M42 to m4/3 adapter, I'm thinking about trying out some long-distance shooting, e.g. the moon, but not things that move significantly, e.g. wild-life.

I've just bid $16.66 on a Tele-Lentar 400mm f/6.3 M42 mount - not really expecting to win. But I was amazed at the variety of long lenses available in M42 mount and would appreciate any tips or caveats from this forum ...

-- hide signature --

WYSINWIG: what you see is not what I got.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,988
Re: Any recommendations for long-focus >200mm M42 lens?

"nzmacro" Danny is a skilled birder who posts here adapts an array of excellent Canon MF teles, some of which have phenomenal reach. Perhaps give his work a look. Many of those lenses seem as good as anything available still. We also have folks here who adapt spotting scopes, but that's a whole other set of technical hurdles.

There are plenty of good options in many mounts. IBIS really helps for adapting long tele lenses. Viewfinder zoom and focus peaking will aid with the challenge of concise focus.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

xpatUSA
OP xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 18,556

Skeeterbytes wrote:

"nzmacro" Danny is a skilled birder who posts here adapts an array of excellent Canon MF teles, some of which have phenomenal reach. Perhaps give his work a look. Many of those lenses seem as good as anything available still. We also have folks here who adapt spotting scopes, but that's a whole other set of technical hurdles.

There are plenty of good options in many mounts. IBIS really helps for adapting long tele lenses. Viewfinder zoom and focus peaking will aid with the challenge of concise focus.

Thanks, Rick. I'm looking specifically at M42-mount and it seems that the Canons, while they are no doubt excellent, are Leica M39-mount.

Less relevant but I'm not looking to shoot wild-life as we speak.

Being retired, I'm pretty cheap, too.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,988

Okay, I see. In that case I'd probably concentrate on Pentax. I had an excellent 200/4 for my Spotmatic and IIRC they made a good 300/4 and also a 300/5.6. Tamron and Vivitar will have that mount too--their SP and Series 1 lines had some good lenses.

ETA steer clear of zooms from that era, most are terrible.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

xpatUSA

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Okay, I see. In that case I'd probably concentrate on Pentax.

Thanks again, I have a Pentax/Takumar/Asahi which is good but only 24mm, and my X-vario zoom is better at that length.

I had an excellent 200/4 for my Spotmatic and IIRC they made a good 300/4 and also a 300/5.6. Tamron and Vivitar will have that mount too--their SP and Series 1 lines had some good lenses.

Good to know.

ETA steer clear of zooms from that era, most are terrible.

I had thought about that but I will indeed steer clear ...

-- hide signature --

kohinoor Senior Member • Posts: 1,430

The Adapted Lens Talk forum is the place where to ask. Many M42 users there.

But you needn't restrict youself to M42 just because you have that adapter. For 20 bucks you can get adapters for allmost any mount and those do the job just as well.

kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,163

Not to long, but check out the SMC Takumar 150mm f4.  A very good lens.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +19 more
xpatUSA

kohinoor wrote:

The Adapted Lens Talk forum is the place where to ask. Many M42 users there.

Thanks for the hint. I had never looked there before, seems interesting.

But you needn't restrict yourself to M42 just because you have that adapter. For 20 bucks you can get adapters for allmost any mount and those do the job just as well.

Obviously, but in the OP I did express the desire to keep that adapter.

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA

kcdogger wrote:

Not [so] long, but check out the SMC Takumar 150mm f4. A very good lens.

Thanks for the tip!

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

But you needn't restrict yourself to M42 just because you have that adapter. For 20 bucks you can get adapters for allmost any mount and those do the job just as well.

Is it a Novoflex adapter? I'm asking because every now an then I'm tempted to get one. But they really are expensive for a 'dumb' adapter.

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,419

Most legacy film era teles are going to perform very poorly on a high density sensor like this. But recently a fellow forum member posted those snaps from SMC Takumar 400/5.6 . This looks good to me, as far as 50 year old lenses go.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
xpatUSA

kohinoor wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

Is it a Novoflex adapter? I'm asking because every now an then I'm tempted to get one. But they really are expensive for a 'dumb' adapter.

It's a K&F Concept:

https://www.kentfaith.com/lens-mount-adapters/m42-lens-adapter

Currently discounted at US $24.99.

One caveat: with my Zeiss 35mm Flektogon on the Lumix DC-G9 the flange to sensor distance is wrong - infinity focus is reached well before the lens stop. No idea why, haven't measured anything yet. With focus magnification/peaking these things become less bothersome, eh?

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA

Astrotripper wrote:

Most legacy film era teles are going to perform very poorly on a high density sensor like this. But recently a fellow forum member posted those snaps from SMC Takumar 400/5.6 . This looks good to me, as far as 50 year old lenses go.

Thanks for the caveat. As it happens, I'm currently watching that exact model on ebay. Quite tempting even just to play with.

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

Is it a Novoflex adapter? I'm asking because every now an then I'm tempted to get one. But they really are expensive for a 'dumb' adapter.

It's a K&F Concept:

One caveat: with my Zeiss 35mm Flektogon on the Lumix DC-G9 the flange to sensor distance is wrong - infinity focus is reached well before the lens stop. No idea why, haven't measured anything yet.

Same here with my Gobe adapter (looks identical to your's). I can focus well beyond infinity. Better this way than the other way round. Costs next to nothing on the closest focus side.

With focus magnification/peaking these things become less bothersome, eh?

Adapting old glass is good fun, yes!
I've given up on peaking tho. Depending on contrast in the scene it will sometimes be too strong and distracting and sometimes inexist (G9 here too). And for exact focus there's no way around magnification anyway.

Happy shooting adapted glass!

xpatUSA

kohinoor wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

It's a K&F Concept:

One caveat: with my Zeiss 35mm Flektogon on the Lumix DC-G9 the flange to sensor distance is wrong - infinity focus is reached well before the lens stop. No idea why, haven't measured anything yet.

Same here with my Gobe adapter (looks identical to your's). I can focus well beyond infinity. Better this way than the other way round. Costs next to nothing on the closest focus side.

With focus magnification/peaking these things become less bothersome, eh?

Adapting old glass is good fun, yes!
I've given up on peaking tho. Depending on contrast in the scene it will sometimes be too strong and distracting and sometimes inexist (G9 here too). And for exact focus there's no way around magnification anyway.

I must agree. I shoot wide-angle much of the time and the way I have the G9 set, it sometimes peaks almost everything even in magnified view i.e. lotsa DOF, I guess. Going to try it with peaking turned off if I can ever navigate/decode the classic Panasonic manual ...

Happy shooting adapted glass!

Ta!

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA

xpatUSA wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

Thanks for the caveat. As it happens, I'm currently watching that exact model on ebay. Quite tempting even just to play with.

To complete this discussion, I didn't win the Tele-Lentar, so I bought an SMC Tele-Takumar 400mm f/5.6 M42 ... looking forward to it!

Thanks to all who contributed anyhow to this out-of-place thread.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads