San Mateo Japanese Garden

Started 4 months ago | Photos
JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496
San Mateo Japanese Garden

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi : a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpoplawski/albums/with/72157716942456506

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,447
Re: San Mateo Japanese Garden

as soon as i opened this shot, i noticed the garden was drowned in asphalt walkway. i would have taken the image of the garden, only, wouldn't have included the walkway at all.

it reminded me of the Golden State Park Japanese garden, which is much nicer i think, but i haven't visited San Mateo's Japanese garden in person, so it is hard to make a fair comparison.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

JeffSlade
OP JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

1Dx4me wrote:

as soon as i opened this shot, i noticed the garden was drowned in asphalt walkway. i would have taken the image of the garden, only, wouldn't have included the walkway at all.

it reminded me of the Golden State Park Japanese garden, which is much nicer i think, but i haven't visited San Mateo's Japanese garden in person, so it is hard to make a fair comparison.

Great feedback and thank you! This shot was initially intended to show the lack of people as part of a series at popular spots in our community due to lockdowns. The pavement would normally be filled with people. But I fully accept your feedback. Feedback is golden!

Background:

The shot is from a series I'm doing with some of my San Mateo neighbors to document the impact to our community due to lockdowns. We have set up a YouTube channel San Mateo Lockdown Impact so the community can follow the progress of the project team working towards the goal of a small community focused documentary showing impact to the community.

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi :a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,811

JeffSlade wrote:

Since you have been posting a lot and asking about improving. I suggest you start exploring cropping. I've noticed a trend in your images that they all seem to be posted in full sensor format.

You should see an easy leap in improvement just by starting to think differently and composing for the subject and not the viewfinder.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,294

Yes given the age of mega-pixels, it is amazing what additional images are hidden and can be brought to  life by cropping.

Of course in this image if you read  his other post, he did t his for a reason.

R

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

JeffSlade

mfinley wrote:

JeffSlade wrote:

Since you have been posting a lot and asking about improving. I suggest you start exploring cropping. I've noticed a trend in your images that they all seem to be posted in full sensor format.

You should see an easy leap in improvement just by starting to think differently and composing for the subject and not the viewfinder.

Thanks Mike for that feedback!

What I'm finding through posting some of my landscapes and self reflection is I really don't like shooting landscapes at the end of the day.

When I shoot portraits, especially where I control the light, very little effort is required after it comes out of my camera. And through the process of capturing the portrait I connected with another person on a common goal, that being their image as taken by me in collaboration with them.

I already experience the beauty of the outdoors, particularly wild and scenic rivers, which recharges my spirit and soul.

What I see through my eyes with my wife by my side standing in rivers, in waders, with fly rods in our hands gets imprinted in my mind without a need to crop, or twiddle with the exposure, or hues, or saturation, or luminesce. It's raw unadulterated beauty.

I think I will leave it at that and stop any further effort in the area of landscape photography.

Thank you every one who replied to this thread and also the one at the link below. You gave me what I needed. Much appreciated!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4533022

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi :a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,811

JeffSlade wrote:

mfinley wrote:

JeffSlade wrote:

Thanks Mike for that feedback!

What I'm finding through posting some of my landscapes and self reflection is I really don't like shooting landscapes at the end of the day.

When I shoot portraits, especially where I control the light, very little effort is required after it comes out of my camera. And through the process of capturing the portrait I connected with another person on a common goal, that being their image as taken by me in collaboration with them.

I already experience the beauty of the outdoors, particularly wild and scenic rivers, which recharges my spirit and soul.

What I see through my eyes with my wife by my side standing in rivers, in waders, with fly rods in our hands gets imprinted in my mind without a need to crop, or twiddle with the exposure, or hues, or saturation, or luminesce. It's raw unadulterated beauty.

I think I will leave it at that and stop any further effort in the area of landscape photography.

Thank you every one who replied to this thread and also the one at the link below. You gave me what I needed. Much appreciated!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4533022

I think you should find what brings you joy. The idea of shooting 'better' landscapes doesn't sound like what you want to do in the end. But you may find more joy in capturing the moments of you and your family while being in those landscapes without worrying about trying to create a generic landscape image that others would find pleasing. Peace is really about learning that joy is in pleasing yourself and those you cherish rather than a bunch of strangers.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
JeffSlade

mfinley wrote:

JeffSlade wrote:

I think you should find what brings you joy. The idea of shooting 'better' landscapes doesn't sound like what you want to do in the end.

Yes after digging into it with the help of everyone's comments it's not something I want to do as a primary photography activity where I look to improve over time.

I will continue to capture images I find pleasing to my eye that may involve landscapes. But the purpose for pressing the shutter will be to memorialize for myself what I saw so I can recall the emotion I felt at that moment.

Agreed on doing what brings you joy! Here is the Buddhist teaching I keep foremost in my mind about joy:

"“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”"

I really do appreciate you helping me work through how I feel about landscape photography! Much appreciated!

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,657

If my intention is to draw attention to the empty pathways, I would have walked more to my left, and caught the longer path, on the right, extending into the distance....as it is, both right and left paths are cut short, don't give the feeling of long, empty distance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads