Tamron Still Believes in APS-C

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Tamron is leaving $ MONEY $ on the table not making EF-M, Fuji-X lens

nnowak wrote:

007peter wrote:  wow, I really want this Tamron 17-70/2.8 zoom lens. However, I'd never seen any new Tamron (in the last 3 yrs)

Actually 6 years

OUCH!  I think Tamron is leaving money on the table not making lens for

• Canon EOS-M and 
  • Fuji X-mounts

Not everyone care to upgrade to Fullframe, majority of "consumer" don't want to spend $2000 when an $500~$1000 APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless will do.  It nice to see that both Sigma & Viltrox has wise up to EOS-M and Fuji now.  But Sigma & Viltrox are really good @making PRIMES and less good at making complex zoom lens.  Zoom lens is where Tarmon really excel.

I wish Tamron would wise up soon.

This Tamron 17-70/2.8 + Tamron 70-180/2.8 could make a KILLER COMBO yet retain a relatively tiny size

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,281
Re: Tamron Still Believes in APS-C

I’ve been looking at the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 again a bit lately.  Might be viable, esp considering the current sale price ($539) at Canon Refurb right now.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 856

R2D2 wrote:

I’ve been looking at the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 again a bit lately. Might be viable, esp considering the current sale price ($539) at Canon Refurb right now.

R2

It feels too big & heavy on the M6ii especially with the adapter...build quality is not great either. Nice IQ though.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +7 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,389

dpeete wrote:

I'd prefer something wider than 17mm for the 1.61 Canon crop, but I'd take this over adapting the 17-50/55mm if they made it in EF-M: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-images-of-the-new-tamron-17-70mm-aps-c-e-mount-lens/

Send emails to Tamron if your are interested!

yes

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,281

Bolothegreat wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

I’ve been looking at the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 again a bit lately. Might be viable, esp considering the current sale price ($539) at Canon Refurb right now.

R2

It feels too big & heavy on the M6ii especially with the adapter...build quality is not great either. Nice IQ though.

Thx.  It looks to be in about the same size class as the Tamron.  But you’re right, I do enjoy smaller kits.  

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: Tamron Still Believes in SONY APS-C

I'm ok with that. IS would be great, but I would jump on this lens if Tamron releases an EF-M version!

I for one am never going back.

Life without IS  is like cars where you had to change carburetor jets when changing altitude.  You might enjoy having such a car available, but mostly it stays in the garage.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP
Re: Tamron is leaving $ MONEY $ on the table not making EF-M, Fuji-X lens

Not everyone care to upgrade to Fullframe, majority of "consumer" don't want to spend $2000 when an $500~$1000 APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless will do.

Canon RP with decent kit lens $999.  Right now.

Re: i don't see the pont

That's why i think aps-c is about price, not so much about size

Smaller is better, but cheaper is better yet, and smaller and cheaper is the sweet spot for buyer, but not for Canon.

ihgold2 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Tamron Still Believes in SONY APS-C

dwfrommonterey wrote:

I'm ok with that. IS would be great, but I would jump on this lens if Tamron releases an EF-M version!

I for one am never going back.

Life without IS is like cars where you had to change carburetor jets when changing altitude. You might enjoy having such a car available, but mostly it stays in the garage.

I get that.  In low light, where you don't have options other than bumping the ISO way up and/or shooting at a lower shutter speed, IS is a huge help.  But, for so many cases, I think it's possible to shoot at 1/100 or faster, especially when you can shoot at f/4 or f/2.8.  There are many trade-offs.  I think I'd be willing to forgo IS for a fast zoom.

And, as we've learned in this thread, this lens actually has "vibration control", VC.  So no trade-off required!

ihgold2's gear list:ihgold2's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more

dwfrommonterey wrote:

Not everyone care to upgrade to Fullframe, majority of "consumer" don't want to spend $2000 when an $500~$1000 APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless will do.

Canon RP with decent kit lens $999. Right now.

That's a really tempting offer.  Do you think f/7.1 is limiting though, in that kit lens?  IQ notwithstanding, seems like f/7.1 being the largest possible aperture would be frustrating.  What does everyone think?

Canon EOS M5 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more

Do you think f/7.1 is limiting though, in that kit lens?

If you're looking for shallow DOF, limited.

Otherwise, gets good reports.

I do confess however.  I bought the same deal a month ago.  By now I have 5000 odd shots taken, a lot of them just learning how to use the RP.  But I still have yet to mount that kit lens.

dwfrommonterey wrote:

Do you think f/7.1 is limiting though, in that kit lens?

If you're looking for shallow DOF, limited.

Otherwise, gets good reports.

I do confess however. I bought the same deal a month ago. By now I have 5000 odd shots taken, a lot of them just learning how to use the RP. But I still have yet to mount that kit lens.

I feel I'd do the same.  Have you sprung for any RF lenses yet?  Many of them do seem cost-prohibitive to me.  I really enjoy shooting with the fast M primes, and I wouldn't want to upgrade to FF only to go back to shooting with the slower kit lens.  Of course, I could adapt EF lenses, but then I wonder whether I wouldn't just be happier with a 6D instead of RP.  Oh well, in truth, it's still all hypothetical.  Fun to dream ...

Have you sprung for any RF lenses yet?

No, but I did buy a 100-400 II.

I'm still digesting the combination, and probably still will be in a year.

I'm loving it though.

dwfrommonterey wrote:

Have you sprung for any RF lenses yet?

No, but I did buy a 100-400 II.

I'm still digesting the combination, and probably still will be in a year.

I'm loving it though.

I'm sure that'll be a great lens. Enjoy!

I feel like adapting a larger telephoto like that wouldn't be a big deal. It's large already.

I'd love one naive fast shorter zoom, that would stay on the camera most of the time, like the faster 24-105 or 24-70.

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,737

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

That's a really tempting offer. Do you think f/7.1 is limiting though, in that kit lens? IQ notwithstanding, seems like f/7.1 being the largest possible aperture would be frustrating. What does everyone think?

f/7.1 on full frame is equivalent to f/4.5 on Canon APS-C crop.  Yes, f/7.1 sounds slow, but when you consider that an equivalent EF-M lens would need to be 15-66mm f/2.5-4.5, f/7.1 suddenly looks pretty good.  Going the other way, the EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 is equivalent to a full frame 24-72mm f/5.6-10.  After converting for equivalence, the EF-M 15-45mm ends up a full stop slower than the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1.

No, f/7.1 is not ideal for low light use, but it is still better than any of the existing EF-M zooms.

Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

That's a really tempting offer. Do you think f/7.1 is limiting though, in that kit lens? IQ notwithstanding, seems like f/7.1 being the largest possible aperture would be frustrating. What does everyone think?

f/7.1 on full frame is equivalent to f/4.5 on Canon APS-C crop. Yes, f/7.1 sounds slow, but when you consider that an equivalent EF-M lens would need to be 15-66mm f/2.5-4.5, f/7.1 suddenly looks pretty good. Going the other way, the EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 is equivalent to a full frame 24-72mm f/5.6-10. After converting for equivalence, the EF-M 15-45mm ends up a full stop slower than the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1.

No, f/7.1 is not ideal for low light use, but it is still better than any of the existing EF-M zooms.

It is really slow in low light when your subject is moving and you need a faster shutter speed.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +22 more
Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

It is limiting, but the lens seems to be quite good within its limitations. Everyone has to decide if that limitation is relevant to them. A heavier, but faster, lens is limiting in other ways.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +22 more

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

f/7.1 on full frame is equivalent to f/4.5 on Canon APS-C crop. Yes, f/7.1 sounds slow, but when you consider that an equivalent EF-M lens would need to be 15-66mm f/2.5-4.5, f/7.1 suddenly looks pretty good. Going the other way, the EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 is equivalent to a full frame 24-72mm f/5.6-10. After converting for equivalence, the EF-M 15-45mm ends up a full stop slower than the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1.

Thanks, yeah, I guess that does put it in perspective.

Naive question then: hypothetical exposure, f/7.1, ISO 400 ... will those result in different shutter speeds one FF vs crop bodies?

I think I understand that the DOF, and maybe some other qualities of the image, will be different.  But is the exposure itself fundamentally calculated differently?

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I guess that does put it in perspective.

Naive question then: hypothetical exposure, f/7.1, ISO 400 ... will those result in different shutter speeds one FF vs crop bodies?

No, the shutter speeds will be the same.

I think I understand that the DOF, and maybe some other qualities of the image, will be different. But is the exposure itself fundamentally calculated differently?

No, exposure is not calculated differently.  What does change is the image sensor noise with different sensor sizes.  ISO 12800 on the RP will have roughly the same noise levels as ISO 5000 on your M5.

Here is a hypothetical with the same shutter speed (same motion blur), same angle of view, same depth of field, and the same noise levels.  Basically, the same final image...

EOS RP + 24-105mm f/4-7.1 at 105mm, f/7.1, ISO 6400, and 1/100 shutter speed

EOS M5 with a lens at 66mm, f/4.5, ISO 2500, and 1/100 shutter speed

Microprism wrote:

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

dwfrommonterey wrote:

It is really slow in low light when your subject is moving and you need a faster shutter speed.

For the same noise levels, you will still get a faster shutter speed with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 than any EF-M zoom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads