Tamron Still Believes in APS-C

Started Nov 24, 2020 | Discussions
dpeete Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Tamron Still Believes in APS-C

I'd prefer something wider than 17mm for the 1.61 Canon crop, but I'd take this over adapting the 17-50/55mm if they made it in EF-M: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-images-of-the-new-tamron-17-70mm-aps-c-e-mount-lens/

Send emails to Tamron if your are interested!

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +17 more
jrdpizzo New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Tamron Still Believes in APS-C

This would be perfect.

jrdpizzo's gear list:jrdpizzo's gear list
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
TMC88 Junior Member • Posts: 31

Nice, yes. If only Tamron would release something like this to Canon M. I’d happily grab this and an M6ii to pair with my 11-22 & 55-250.

-- hide signature --

-T

TMC88's gear list:TMC88's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,688

dpeete wrote:

I'd prefer something wider than 17mm for the 1.61 Canon crop, but I'd take this over adapting the 17-50/55mm if they made it in EF-M: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-images-of-the-new-tamron-17-70mm-aps-c-e-mount-lens/

First we got the sigma 56mm f/1.4, and if this makes it to ef-m the ef-m lens line up is finally achieves a basic completeness.  The only incomplete remaining part would be the body line up: A body with an integrated viewfinder, the 32Mp sensor and IBIS is the other thing needed to make Canon aps-c a complete system.

-- hide signature --

victory

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,896
Re: Tamron Still Believes in SONY APS-C

Like most of the recent Tamron mirrorless lenses, this lens omits optical image stabilization (OIS) and relies solely on in-body image stabilization (IBIS).  With no M bodies featuring IBIS, it is extremely unlikely this lens would ever be repackaged in EF-M mount.

ihgold2 Regular Member • Posts: 152

nnowak wrote:

Like most of the recent Tamron mirrorless lenses, this lens omits optical image stabilization (OIS) and relies solely on in-body image stabilization (IBIS). With no M bodies featuring IBIS, it is extremely unlikely this lens would ever be repackaged in EF-M mount.

I'm ok with that. IS would be great, but I would jump on this lens if Tamron releases an EF-M version!

ihgold2's gear list:ihgold2's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro +2 more

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Like most of the recent Tamron mirrorless lenses, this lens omits optical image stabilization (OIS) and relies solely on in-body image stabilization (IBIS). With no M bodies featuring IBIS, it is extremely unlikely this lens would ever be repackaged in EF-M mount.

I'm ok with that. IS would be great, but I would jump on this lens if Tamron releases an EF-M version!

Even though you might be OK without any form of stabilization, it is extremely unlikely Tamron will build this lens in EF-M mount.

Tamron has only released one EF-M mount lens and that was way back in 2014.  2014 was also the last year Tamron released a mirrorless lens in something other than Sony E mount.  If you want some fodder for conspiracy theories, consider than Sony owns a 12% share in Tamron.

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Even though you might be OK without any form of stabilization, it is extremely unlikely Tamron will build this lens in EF-M mount.

Tamron has only released one EF-M mount lens and that was way back in 2014. 2014 was also the last year Tamron released a mirrorless lens in something other than Sony E mount. If you want some fodder for conspiracy theories, consider than Sony owns a 12% share in Tamron.

Well that's a shame. It was the first lens I planned to buy for my M5 mk 2.

Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro +2 more

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Tamron has only released one EF-M mount lens and that was way back in 2014. 2014 was also the last year Tamron released a mirrorless lens in something other than Sony E mount. If you want some fodder for conspiracy theories, consider than Sony owns a 12% share in Tamron.

A lens that will likely never come to EF-M mount for a camera that is also unlikely to to ever exist.

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

nnowak wrote:

A lens that will likely never come to EF-M mount for a camera that is also unlikely to to ever exist.

I'll bet you take joy in telling children there's no Santa Claus

67gtonr Senior Member • Posts: 1,151

nnowak wrote:

Why do you think they will eschew OIS and rely on IBIS? Few Sony APS-C cameras have IBIS.

67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,887
(but) Tamron has been 100% SONY ONLY lately, no other mounts

wow, I really want this Tamron 17-70/2.8 zoom lens.  However, I'd never seen any new Tamron (in the last 3 yrs) release anything mirrorless lens for M43, EOS-M, or FUJI.  When it comes to mirrorless lens, it has been 100% SONY FE only.

I understand there was a rather mediocre superzoom release for EOS-M sometimes ago, it was badly review and no more tamron lens release since then.

Sony has been dragging its feet with its rather lackluster APS-C e-mount too.  If it weren't for Sigma, Viltrox, SamYang, and Tamron keeping it alive, Sony APS-C would have folded long time ago.  I love 3rd party lens, but I'm not a fan of Sony A6xxx range finder design.

I hope Tamron would wise up and start releasing lens for other mirrorless platform.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
OP dpeete Contributing Member • Posts: 746

67gtonr wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Why do you think they will eschew OIS and rely on IBIS? Few Sony APS-C cameras have IBIS.

His statement is incorrect: the lens has "VC", Tamron's name for image stabilization. You can clearly see it in the images.

That doesn't mean we'll ever see it in EF-M land, but I still figured I would share the leak because I believe Tamron has the best shot at closing the zoom gap.

Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +17 more

dpeete wrote:

67gtonr wrote:

nnowak wrote:

His statement is incorrect: the lens has "VC", Tamron's name for image stabilization. You can clearly see it in the images.

I stand corrected.  Somehow I missed the VC designation in the jumble of Tamron acronyms.

That doesn't mean we'll ever see it in EF-M land, but I still figured I would share the leak because I believe Tamron has the best shot at closing the zoom gap.

Re: (but) Tamron has been 100% SONY ONLY lately, no other mounts

007peter wrote:

wow, I really want this Tamron 17-70/2.8 zoom lens. However, I'd never seen any new Tamron (in the last 3 yrs)

Actually 6 years

release anything mirrorless lens for M43, EOS-M, or FUJI. When it comes to mirrorless lens, it has been 100% SONY FE only.

I understand there was a rather mediocre superzoom release for EOS-M sometimes ago, it was badly review and no more tamron lens release since then.

The EF-M mount Tamron 18-200mm was released back in 2014.  There was also a Tamron 14-150mm for m4/3 launched in 2014.  Actually, Tamron has not released a crop mirrorless lens for ANY mount since then.

Sony has been dragging its feet with its rather lackluster APS-C e-mount too. If it weren't for Sigma, Viltrox, SamYang, and Tamron keeping it alive, Sony APS-C would have folded long time ago. I love 3rd party lens, but I'm not a fan of Sony A6xxx range finder design.

I hope Tamron would wise up and start releasing lens for other mirrorless platform.

tianzai New Member • Posts: 1

nnowak wrote:

Have you seen the “VC” in its name? It means vibration compensation.

tianzai wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Have you seen the “VC” in its name? It means vibration compensation.

That's because it will come to the ef-m mount.

-- hide signature --

victory

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,309
i don't see the pont

dpeete wrote:

that lens looks as big as a full frame 24-105 F4  why do folk buy APS-c only to lust after lenses as big as FF and as expensive...or in many cases more expensive

i am not saying the M don't need a better standard zoom but something like  the fuji  18-55 f2.8-4 would be more in keeping

if you have a bag or want a bag full of APS-c F2.8 zooms and F1.2/F1.4 primes  you may as well have the equivalent full frame F4 zooms and F1.8/F2 primes  for the same size ish

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me it is bad I know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
.........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +5 more
Re: i don't see the pont

davev8 wrote:

dpeete wrote:

that lens looks as big as a full frame 24-105 F4 why do folk buy APS-c only to lust after lenses as big as FF and as expensive...or in many cases more expensive

Because it's about ILCs here.  A lens like this allows you to do everything with aps-c, preventing you from spending the bucks on a full frame camera. With that same camera you have also the choice to go compact by mounting a compact lens.

i am not saying the M don't need a better standard zoom but something like the fuji 18-55 f2.8-4 would be more in keeping

if you have a bag or want a bag full of APS-c F2.8 zooms and F1.2/F1.4 primes you may as well have the equivalent full frame F4 zooms and F1.8/F2 primes for the same size ish

That's why i think aps-c is about price, not so much about size, but a lot of forum members disagree with me.

Regardless the sensor size: As long as you can change lenses you can benefit from the option to mount both large and small lenses.

-- hide signature --

victory

OP dpeete Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: i don't see the pont

davev8 wrote:

dpeete wrote:

that lens looks as big as a full frame 24-105 F4 why do folk buy APS-c only to lust after lenses as big as FF and as expensive...or in many cases more expensive

i am not saying the M don't need a better standard zoom but something like the fuji 18-55 f2.8-4 would be more in keeping

if you have a bag or want a bag full of APS-c F2.8 zooms and F1.2/F1.4 primes you may as well have the equivalent full frame F4 zooms and F1.8/F2 primes for the same size ish

Flexibility. I can have an APS-C camera kit as small as I like if I don’t need low-light.

And don’t forget about the weight. The Tamron is 180grams lighter than the RF 24-105. An M50 body is another 100g lighter than an RP, or the M6ii is 250g lighter than the R. All in, that starts to add up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads