Sd card!lost photos!

Started 5 months ago | Questions
dvennor New Member • Posts: 6
Sd card!lost photos!

dear all, this is a cry for help!i have a transcend 32 gb sd card with some most treasured wildlife shots on.about two years worth and like the idiot I am I didn’t save them else where.Now unfortunately the canon camera won’t read it, neither will the laptop. No evidence of physical damage to it, the lock button is off. Even bought a card reader for the lap top thinking it may be the computer but still nothing!would really appreciate some advice as I really don’t want to lose those pictures! Many thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
TonyHampton Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Sd card!lost photos!

dvennor wrote:

dear all, this is a cry for help!i have a transcend 32 gb sd card with some most treasured wildlife shots on.about two years worth and like the idiot I am I didn’t save them else where.Now unfortunately the canon camera won’t read it, neither will the laptop. No evidence of physical damage to it, the lock button is off. Even bought a card reader for the lap top thinking it may be the computer but still nothing!would really appreciate some advice as I really don’t want to lose those pictures! Many thanks

Try some data recovery software to see if that works.

https://www.sodapdf.com/blog/data-recovery-software/

TonyHampton's gear list:TonyHampton's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 573

There are data recovery companies that can probably help you more quickly and efficiently than trying to do it personally. I would contact one of them.  Then, as you probably know, download every card at the end of shooting every day to a solid-state storage drive so this doesn't happen again. I actually have a server dedicated to my photography AND a second external SS drive for redundancy. I used to have a server with triple redundancy in separate drives but with Solid State I don't feel that need anymore.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,076

dvennor wrote:

Try all the available card recovery programs, but if the card cannot be "seen" by the computer, then there is a problem. Best now is to put the write lock switch on while using recovery programs, off again if attempting a quick format of course.

Cards (and SSD drives) are fragile things in that their memory fades over time and fades without power applied occasionally - but that is a long time indeed. Your card seems to have simply developed a fault, which also can happen to any card at any time, but relatively rare if a good brand and not some eBay cheap clone fake.

First step is to determine the behaviour of your camera. Get a good card, format it in the camera, then take some new pictures and format it again in camera and then test the various recovery programs to see if they can find your new shots (as well as old stuff that will still be on the card).

If that works then you know that the camera does not destroy the images when it formats, or if the card undergoes a quick format in the computer. Just the filenames are lost.

That all leads up to - if the computer cannot even "see" the card at all then some attempt to do a quick format on the card via a camera could get it "seen" again to allow the recovery programs to work.

All I know is that Sony cameras destroy the data when they format but most other cameras leave it safe and simply destroy the file references to where the files are.

That is what the recovery programs do, read all sectors and reconstruct any files found and give them new sequential numbering. Some recovery programs are not so clever with video files or with raw files so it may take a few trials to get one to do what you want.

Most have a free trial that may show you what's there but then have to pay to actually get the files safe. There may be free ones that can do the job.

In very early days with my Olympus cameras and those dreadful xD cards I had many problems and the xD cards at times became completely unreadable by camera or computer. They needed to be formatted to recover, and in those days I found that a Fuji compact was the only camera that could format the xD card so it could be used again or recovery attempted.

So somehow getting the card to the state where a camera or a computer can actually "see" that it is a card may be your main problem.

Sometimes tricky things like that can be solved by using the Disk Management program in Windows but I've never had to deal with a bad card for years so don't know what to expect with it.

The usual "too late" advice is never ever trust cards for long term storage, back them up to multiple places each night or end of each session and start again with a camera format of the card. Try to avoid deleting images in the field as it can make the card progressively more messy.

If your card ever does recover, mark it and never use it again as it is always a case of "one strike and you are out" with cards. Maybe if it happily passes a full long slow format where it writes to every sector and wipes out everything then it could be set aside as an emergency spare but never to be trusted again.

I wish you good luck!

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Whatever you decide to do - do not format that card until all data recovery has been tried. And then, throw it away as it's unreliable.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,076

DenverSteve wrote:

Whatever you decide to do - do not format that card until all data recovery has been tried. And then, throw it away as it's unreliable.

No, often a quick format is what sorts out a card and allows recovery to work, but it is definitely the last thing to try after finding out what any camera does on a format.

If at the end of proceedings you either have the files or not, then if the card can be "seen" by Windows next try a long slow full format and it may recover bad blocks and be "reliable" (but untrustworthy) again.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
OP dvennor New Member • Posts: 6

some good advice,i will try it all!thank you

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,704

The best suggestion was probably the commercial company route.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads