Possible to use Fuji Capture One 20 to edit iPhone RAW? Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Possible to use Fuji Capture One 20 to edit iPhone RAW?

Hey all, I currently have an older iPhone model, whose photos look admittedly quite awful. This has not been much of a concern as I usually have my X-H1 along with me. However, I have recently been musing the idea of upgrading my phone and am wondering what new opportunities it might provide for photography.

I have read a bit about Apple's new first party take on native RAW (Pro RAW) and I am now intrigued at the possibility of playing with/editing RAW photos out of an iPhone. From what I can tell, it seems ProRAW is not available just yet, but I know it has been possible to shoot RAW with an iPhone using a third party app for some time. I have a perpetual license of Capture One 20: Fujifilm and I am curious to know if any of you have used this version, or even the full Capture One Pro program to edit RAW files from an iPhone. Thank you for your time

Orbit220's gear list:Orbit220's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,598
Re: Possible to use Fuji Capture One 20 to edit iPhone RAW?

Orbit220 wrote:

Hey all, I currently have an older iPhone model, whose photos look admittedly quite awful. This has not been much of a concern as I usually have my X-H1 along with me. However, I have recently been musing the idea of upgrading my phone and am wondering what new opportunities it might provide for photography.

I have read a bit about Apple's new first party take on native RAW (Pro RAW) and I am now intrigued at the possibility of playing with/editing RAW photos out of an iPhone. From what I can tell, it seems ProRAW is not available just yet, but I know it has been possible to shoot RAW with an iPhone using a third party app for some time. I have a perpetual license of Capture One 20: Fujifilm and I am curious to know if any of you have used this version, or even the full Capture One Pro program to edit RAW files from an iPhone. Thank you for your time

Im assuming if it says Fuji in the software title, it's only for Fujis. But really that's a question for C1.

Bear in mind that Apple Raw is only for the 12 Pro models, not the regular 12.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
OP Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Im assuming if it says Fuji in the software title, it's only for Fujis. But really that's a question for C1.

Thank you for your response. I agree, I am anticipating that it will not be compatible with my software, however, I was hoping someone may, at the least, have experience using the full Capture One Pro program (of any year) and could discuss their findings. I have also read that Pro RAW imports as a completely generic DNG RAW file with no camera or lens profiles and didn't know if that might be compatible with the Fuji C1 software. We may not know the answer to this until ProRAW is used more widespread though

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,598

Orbit220 wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Thank you for your response. I agree, I am anticipating that it will not be compatible with my software, however, I was hoping someone may, at the least, have experience using the full Capture One Pro program (of any year) and could discuss their findings. I have also read that Pro RAW imports as a completely generic DNG RAW file with no camera or lens profiles and didn't know if that might be compatible with the Fuji C1 software. We may not know the answer to this until ProRAW is used more widespread though

Theres bound to be a camera/lens profile since the ultra-wide likely needs different distortion correction compared to the "tele". Regardless, I doubt it works in Fuji-specific software.

Try installing an app that shoots Raw on your current phone and import that into your C1.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,607
This really is OT

I realize that you're trying to reach C1 users here, but this really has nothing to do with Fujifilm cameras, which is the charter of this forum.  Let me suggest that you take the question either directly to C1's site or their support team.  I'll leave the thread open for a short time if others have suggestions for resources that you can use to get answers to your question.  However, this really isn't the place for this discussion.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
OP Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: This really is OT

Understood, thanks Jerry. And thank you for your help, DarnGoodPhotos. You can close the thread

RetiringGuy Regular Member • Posts: 426

Yes it is quite easy to use C1 Pro to edit dng files out of an iPhone.

I use the 645 Pro app on my iPhone 8+ to take the dng images and edit them directly in C1 Pro.

You could try taking a dng image with your phone and see if C1 for Fuji accepts it.

You will probably need to change the 'Make' EXIF tag to read 'Fujifilm' and the 'Model' EXIF tag to read say 'X-H1'. Then try editing it in your Fuji C1.

By doing the EXIF tag changes C1 will (if it accepts dng files) use a colour profile for the Fuji camera who's name you used so the colours might be too far off. If this happens just try using different model names and see if you can get better colour rendition.

RG

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,607
Issue resolved (and OT)... closing down the thread

NT

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads