Effect of speck in lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
grandeson10 New Member • Posts: 10
Effect of speck in lens?

Hey all, been a long time but picked up a compact (Zs100) and want to fiddle around again.  So I started with a like new Amazon warehouse deal but it came with what seems like a speck within the lens.  Will this have any affect at all on the end result?  I am most concerned of it moving to a position where it might make things worse.  Camera came with 43 shutter count. And it looks like its in real good shape

Would love to hear your thoughts.  And thank you.

Panasonic ZS100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 726
Re: Effect of speck in lens?

This speck will have very little effect on images from this lens or camera. If you happen to place the sun or a point source of light exactly where it is in the frame you may see more flare than usual.

P.S.  As for it moving, I don't think it will.  Even if it does it will only have an effect as above.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,285

grandeson10 wrote:

Hey all, been a long time but picked up a compact (Zs100) and want to fiddle around again. So I started with a like new Amazon warehouse deal but it came with what seems like a speck within the lens. Will this have any affect at all on the end result? I am most concerned of it moving to a position where it might make things worse. Camera came with 43 shutter count. And it looks like its in real good shape

Would love to hear your thoughts. And thank you.

IMHO this speck will have negligible if any effect on the quality of the end result. And what effect it does have, will be negated as soon as you stop down the lens.

Phil A Martin

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

Hey all, been a long time but picked up a compact (Zs100) and want to fiddle around again. So I started with a like new Amazon warehouse deal but it came with what seems like a speck within the lens. Will this have any affect at all on the end result? I am most concerned of it moving to a position where it might make things worse. Camera came with 43 shutter count. And it looks like its in real good shape

IMHO this speck will have negligible if any effect on the quality of the end result. And what effect it does have, will be negated as soon as you stop down the lens.

Although unless it was pointed out before the sale, I'm still not sure I'd accept this from the supplier and would ask for a replacement.

OP grandeson10 New Member • Posts: 10

Thank you so much for your quick and fair responses.  It was an amazon warehouse deal marked "like new" with only mention of the box having been damaged, (which it was fine).  And again , it only had 43 on the shutter count.

And really guys,  thanks for the manner in which you respond.  I just purchased a new truck and posted a question on a forum and couldn't believe the manner in which people replied.  The old being a tough guy know it all on the internet.  I'm glad this is how it is here.

Thank you

Phil A Martin

grandeson10 wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick and fair responses. It was an amazon warehouse deal marked "like new" with only mention of the box having been damaged, (which it was fine). And again , it only had 43 on the shutter count.

43 on the shutter would probably have occurred during testing at the factory but as it was sold as new, I would ask for a replacement, as you don't know the source of the dust, perhaps there's more you cannot see deeper inside the camera?

And really guys, thanks for the manner in which you respond. I just purchased a new truck and posted a question on a forum and couldn't believe the manner in which people replied. The old being a tough guy know it all on the internet. I'm glad this is how it is here.

But no worries, only glad to be of some help.

Thank you

I'm a little confused. Maybe I mis typed, it actually was labeled as "like new"  does that mean new but open box sort of? It's in fantastic shape, and it could officially be sold as new.  I actually ordered another "like new" to see what I get.  I never do the warehouse stuff, but a few people have suggested it, so im giving it a whirl.  Im guessing there are some bumps along the way of getting something a true bargain that works as it should.

You guys/gals ever do the warehouse pre owned market?

mdmarqphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick and fair responses. It was an amazon warehouse deal marked "like new" with only mention of the box having been damaged, (which it was fine). And again , it only had 43 on the shutter count.

43 on the shutter would probably have occurred during testing at the factory but as it was sold as new, I would ask for a replacement, as you don't know the source of the

It wasn't sold "as new" - it was sold by Amazon Warehouse, which are usually returned items that have been checked out.  As the OP mentioned, it was described as "like new".

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,388

You might be interested in this DPReview-produced video that is relevant to your issue --particularly beginning at the 2:00 minute point.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4128862298/dpreview-tv-how-much-do-scratches-dust-and-fingerprints-affect-lens-image-quality

Phil A Martin

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

43 on the shutter would probably have occurred during testing at the factory but as it was sold as new, I would ask for a replacement, as you don't know the source of the

It wasn't sold "as new" - it was sold by Amazon Warehouse, which are usually returned items that have been checked out. As the OP mentioned, it was described as "like new".

Am I missing something here? I thought if something was "like" something else, it meant they were the same? So that a camera that was described as "like" a new camera, would appear the same as a new camera.

Phil A Martin wrote:

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

It wasn't sold "as new" - it was sold by Amazon Warehouse, which are usually returned items that have been checked out. As the OP mentioned, it was described as "like new".

Am I missing something here? I thought if something was "like" something else, it meant they were the same? So that a camera that was described as "like" a new camera, would appear the same as a new camera.

No, it usually means "close" to the same.  I buy used books on Amazon that are described as in "like new" condition, but they are indeed used.

In the OPs case, it was likely a return/open box that may or may not have been actually used and would appear and function as "new" to most people, but it is NOT being sold as a "new" and unused item.  That piece of dust could have been in the lens originally and the reason for the return, which is why it could be described as "like new".

Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Phil A Martin

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

No, it usually means "close" to the same. I buy used books on Amazon that are described as in "like new" condition, but they are indeed used.

In the OPs case, it was likely a return/open box that may or may not have been actually used and would appear and function as "new" to most people, but it is NOT being sold as a "new" and unused item. That piece of dust could have been in the lens originally and the reason for the return, which is why it could be described as "like new".

Either way whatever, he still has a case for returning it.

Phil A Martin wrote:

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

mdmarqphoto wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

grandeson10 wrote:

No, it usually means "close" to the same. I buy used books on Amazon that are described as in "like new" condition, but they are indeed used.

In the OPs case, it was likely a return/open box that may or may not have been actually used and would appear and function as "new" to most people, but it is NOT being sold as a "new" and unused item. That piece of dust could have been in the lens originally and the reason for the return, which is why it could be described as "like new".

Either way whatever, he still has a case for returning it.

Indeed he does.

Doug Haag wrote:

You might be interested in this DPReview-produced video that is relevant to your issue --particularly beginning at the 2:00 minute point.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4128862298/dpreview-tv-how-much-do-scratches-dust-and-fingerprints-affect-lens-image-quality

Thank you!  Very interesting indeed.  I'll tell you what. This camera is small!! I'm not sure i can get used to the size.!! Thanks guys for your feedback.  Look forward to hearing from you in the future.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,183

grandeson10 wrote:

If you need to shoot into the mouth of a dark cave and want to photograph what's inside of it, and the sun is shining directly on the lens, the flare will be a little worse than if the speck wasn't there.  If you shoot OOF points of light and turn them into out-of-focus big disks, and then sharpen the heck out of them, you might see slightly darker spots corresponding to the speck in the bokeh disks.  Or, you might not even see that.

I'd take a sharp lens with 20 specs that size and that far from the center of the lens than a perfectly clean cheap lens design.  I'd just be careful about out-of-frame light hitting the front of the lens, which is good policy, even with a lens without an obvious or known speck.  If the lens doesn't take a hood, you can use a free hand as a makeshift hood; just make sure that it doesn't show in the frame.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,460

If it were me, I'd send it back for a refund. Although I doubt the dirt will have an effect on the image quality, I would always know it is there and always wonder and worry about it. Since the camera is not rare, you can always try to find another.  (By the way, you will most likely get used to the smallness of the camera. I did and I've been using pro-sized DSLRs for decades.)

Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah, I doubt the spec will ever render a problem for me, but I do wonder where it came from or a sign if its been dropped or mishandled.  I received another and it doesn't have a visible problem.  To be honest,  for some reason the older discontinued  olympus stylus 1 really interests me.  I think the form factor with the bigger viewfinder and the look of the ergonomics intrigues me, even though the zs100 has better specs, for the most part.  Looking for used ones of that too.  I had an olympus evolt 510 for a while and was very happy with its results, moreso than the penny mirrorless I had, so im leaning towards finding another oly.  Its a shame they are out of the camera market, limits our choices.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads