Entry lever interchangeable lens cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Aldone Forum Member • Posts: 78
Entry lever interchangeable lens cameras

Hi! A friend of mine as come up to me, asking for some advice about wanting to get an interchangeable lens camera. He wants something quite cheap, and is mostly looking at the used market. Being in Nikon land myself I suggested a d3x00 series body, but I would like to be able to offer advice also on other brands, so he as more option on eBay. Could you share some suggestions? Any brand is welcome of course

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
Re: Entry lever interchangeable lens cameras

If your friend has little knowledge on camera or photographing, a mirrorless might fit your friend more.

IMHO the Live View, which give direct feedback to the shooter on every parameter setting in real time, plus a lot of real time assisting tools could help a beginner to pick up the basic in very short time.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
MPrince Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

What do you mean by "cheap"?

Knowing your friend's budget would make it a lot easier (and useful to you) to make suggestions.

Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

Aldone wrote:

Could you share some suggestions? Any brand is welcome of course

Used Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR Camera Body Excelent condition $129.20

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-40d-10-1-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html

One of these Lenses to start with.

Used Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM EF-Mount Lens $115 excellent plus condition. Good for indoor no flash allowed Museums Ect.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-50-mm-f-1-8-fixed-focal-length-lens-for-canon-ef.html

Used Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO $264 Excellent plus condition Good all around nice zoom range.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-nano-usm-ef-s-mount-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-67.html

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D
Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,030

Aldone wrote:

Hi! A friend of mine as come up to me, asking for some advice about wanting to get an interchangeable lens camera. He wants something quite cheap, and is mostly looking at the used market. Being in Nikon land myself I suggested a d3x00 series body, but I would like to be able to offer advice also on other brands, so he as more option on eBay. Could you share some suggestions? Any brand is welcome of course

To even begin to answer with any sanity:

• What does your friend want to take pictures of. 
  • How large does your friend want to view these photos or print. 
  • Where and on what will they be viewed or displayed. 
  • What is cheap. A number?
  • Does your friend want to post process photos or use them straight from the camera. 
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,751

Aldone wrote:

On the lowest-end, I'm a fan of the D3300 since it has the accessory port that was dropped from newer models in the series.  Match that up with the 18-55 and 55-200 AF-S VRii lenses, they'll have a versatile system for cheap that gets them shooting practically any subject right away.

Any of the D5xxx series cameras are good for beginners, even the original D5000if budget overrides image quality.  The picture quality is fine, if you refrain from comparing it side-by-side with the new 24mp sensors. 

If your friend plans to be rather serious, starting with the D7xxx is a wise move.  You get more features, a more rugged camera body, ergonomics to better fit an adult's hands, more compatibility with older lenses, and more physical controls for faster response to changing conditions.  They do cost a bit more, always a trade-off.

Look at the entry-level APS-C mirrorless cameras from Canon.  If he's accustomed to cell phone photos, he'll do fine with the onscreen menus and touch screen features.

I'm also a big fan of Pentax.  You can pick up some used ones for reasonable.  You get dual wheels even on their entry-level models, and a brand known for ruggedness and weather-resistance.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
OP Aldone Forum Member • Posts: 78

Aldone wrote:

To answer a few questions:

I did not share my friends budget as used prices vary greatly, and what I was looking for are more suggestions as to which models from each of the major brands are roughly equivalent to the Nikon d3x00 series, so as to have more options. I guess a good estimate however would be around 350€ tops.

He would be of course open to mirror less, so if anyone can suggest an inexpensive mirror less body (maybe Sony or Fuji?) I’d love to hear about them. 
the main point of my asking is that I can only recommend Nikon cameras, since I have never tried anything else, but of course entry level cameras are basically the same across the board, so I would like to know which model names I should be looking at on Amazon and eBay, and if there are particular models which are best avoided (I have heard that older Sony bodies had issues for example, but I don’t know enough about it to know which models are badly affected and if it even is an actual problem).

Bobthearch

It's perfectly reasonable for your friend to get a Nikon if that's what you happen to use.  By having the same camera brand, it'll be much easier for you to help them, especially with camera features and software processing.  You'll even be able to share accessories and maybe lenses.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

Aldone wrote:

Any brand is welcome of course

If you go with the 40D you will also need a memory card

$29.5

https://www.keh.com/shop/sandisk-32gb-120-mb-second-udma-7-extreme-compact-flash-cf-memory-card.html

$15.79

https://www.keh.com/shop/sandisk-8gb-60-mb-second-extreme-udma-compact-flash-cf-memory-card-712453.html

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,419

Aldone wrote:

Aldone wrote:

To answer a few questions:

I did not share my friends budget as used prices vary greatly, and what I was looking for are more suggestions as to which models from each of the major brands are roughly equivalent to the Nikon d3x00 series, so as to have more options.

As it happens the D3xxx series is just about the basement level for interchangeable lens cameras, so the cheapest from any maker will be as good. DSLRs are still - at entry level - cheaper than mirrorless models. There are three makers left in that field: Nikon, Canon and Pentax.

DSLRs use optical viewfinders that use a mirror to reflect light away from the sensor into their viewfinder; the viewfinder can be either a fairly small, dim pentamirror system or a (slightly) bigger sand brighter pentaprism system. Canon sand Nikon use the pentamirror system in their cheapest models, with the pentaprisms only in the more expensive versions. Penta uses pentaprisms throughout.

It seems to me that as you know Nikon you can be most help to your friend if he goes the same way; but I think it would be much better to spend the money on an older, higher grade model in the D7xxx series (and to be clear, I'm saying this as a long time Pentax user).

I guess a good estimate however would be around 350€ tops.

He would be of course open to mirror less, so if anyone can suggest an inexpensive mirror less body (maybe Sony or Fuji?) I’d love to hear about them.
the main point of my asking is that I can only recommend Nikon cameras, since I have never tried anything else, but of course entry level cameras are basically the same across the board, so I would like to know which model names I should be looking at on Amazon and eBay, and if there are particular models which are best avoided (I have heard that older Sony bodies had issues for example, but I don’t know enough about it to know which models are badly affected and if it even is an actual problem).

See above. You won't find a poor camera from any maker but in the specific circumstance where you can coach your friend and loan lenses I think it would be a bad move to go away from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825

One of the things this site and similar ones have is "history."  There will be reviews and threads covering almost all of the various digital camera offerings going way, way, back.  So if you find a camera offered, Google (etc.) searching on that camera model especially with "review" could likely turn up reviews from when they were new.  Handy if looking to older models.  While not all cameras were reviewed everywhere, it's not unusual to get information on related cameras, like the comparable competitive offerings or what was improved (or not) from the preceding models.

Something else to glean from reviews, either of the "camera" or the lenses, is the quality of the lenses that might be included.  Some of the kit lenses were optically rather unimpressive, some quite favorably commented on, etc.

It might be faster to do a search versus asking on a forum camera A or B?

"Entry-level" is often a factor of the controls and features suite than the actual picture taking capability of the camera, many contemporary cameras sharing the same or very similar sensors.  The differences  might be the speed of the processor,memory, the quality of the focus system and the greater or fewer external controls - how much is controlled by external buttons and wheels versus menu selections.   Nikon, for example, the D3xxx versus the D5xxx and D7xxx lines.

Getting a feel for the subject matter interests can help.  Interests in landscapes, architecture, might allow for a "slower" camera, the subjects not over stressing a focus systems because they don't move around much.  If interested in nature, or sports, children, then a system with more focus points or higher frame rates might be a better choice.  Likewise how much they are willing to leave to the camera (although thinking of interchangeable lens suggests at least some interest in doing at least some of the thinking/controlling)

I'd avoid cameras using older "cards" like the Compact Flash (CF) or SmartMedia, they can be hard to find, rather slow, or expensive, or all three.  I think I'd stick to something greater than 16 Megapixel.

PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490

Aldone wrote:

Hi! A friend of mine as come up to me, asking for some advice about wanting to get an interchangeable lens camera.

Why specifically a Interchangeable-Lens-Camera (ILC), if he can get a fixed lens that is wider/longer/faster than typical kit lenses ???

Also with a "leaf" shutter that can allow SUN-light fill-flash up to 20'+, (compared to only 4-6' with FP shutters in all ILC's).

He wants something quite cheap, and is mostly looking at the used market.

The FZ-1000 is available for <500 new (used cheaper).

It has many-many options/features not even possible on dSLR's and easily best "value" on the market.

Being in Nikon land myself I suggested a d3x00

I never recommend D3xxx unless budget is "only" priority (and satisfied w/ only basic features).

series body, but I would like to be able to offer advice also on other brands, so he as more option on eBay. Could you share some suggestions? Any brand is welcome of course

Bobthearch

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

I never recommend D3xxx unless budget is "only" priority (and satisfied w/ only basic features).

My kid has the D3300, brand new with two lenses for $299. The feature list may be budget, but there's nothing wrong with the photos:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9202664723/nikon-d3300-sample-images

The biggest drawback is that it lacks dual wheels, which are critical for convenient use of manual mode. And there is no bracketing function. I'd guess few first-time photographers need to bother with either of these anyway.

The CIPA rating is excellent for a small battery, 700 shots. The camera and lenses are very lightweight and compact, great for travel and backpacking. The interchangeable lenses make it possible to custom-tailor a kit for each person's needs depending on their desired focal length, size and weight, lens quality, and of course price.

The ergonomics are a bit cramped for me, especially compared to the D7100 I'm accustomed to. And the lack of physical buttons (again, compared to the D7100) means that using the rear LCD info screen and some menu-diving are unavoidable even during the most casual shooting.

The lack of a proper Nikon accessory port puts me off the D3400 and D3500, although the image quality of these models is also excellent.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9111488384/nikon-d3500-sample-gallery/8588626651

Frankly, I cannot tell the difference in image quality between any of the modern 24mp APS-C sensor cameras.  D3300, D3400, D3500, D5500, D5600, D7100, D7200...

-- hide signature --

Bobthearch wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

My kid has the D3300, brand new with two lenses for $299. The feature list may be budget, but there's nothing wrong with the photos:

I fully agree there is nothing wrong with the "images". The image IQ is fully equal to any other APS size sensor camera, provided one has the time and skill to produce it within the constraints of its limited options/features.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9202664723/nikon-d3300-sample-images

The biggest drawback is that it lacks dual wheels, which are critical for convenient use of manual mode.

Bridge cameras can be controlled by one thumb-wheel that can alternate between A/P/EV faster than accessing separate wheels and never moving hands/fingers.

And there is no bracketing function.

They have "auto" bracketing, (@ almost instanteous 12/20fps), since bracketing can be very problematic w/ moving subjects.

I'd guess few first-time photographers need to bother with either of these anyway.

Why not ... (if quick and easy) ... they can make the difference between good/bad/GREAT image.

The CIPA rating is excellent for a small battery, 700 shots. The camera and lenses are very lightweight and compact, great for travel and backpacking. The interchangeable lenses make it possible to custom-tailor a kit for each person's needs depending on their desired focal length, size and weight, lens quality, and of course price.

Is 24 to 400/600mm-e @ f/2.4-4 not enough, (and you can get both UWA & MACRO w/ adapters.

The only thing missing is indeed a faster prime.

The ergonomics are a bit cramped for me, especially compared to the D7100 I'm accustomed to. And the lack of physical buttons (again, compared to the D7100) means that using the rear LCD info screen and some menu-diving are unavoidable even during the most casual shooting.

The lack of a proper Nikon accessory port puts me off the D3400 and D3500, although the image quality of these models is also excellent.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9111488384/nikon-d3500-sample-gallery/8588626651

Frankly, I cannot tell the difference in image quality between any of the modern 24mp APS-C sensor cameras. D3300, D3400, D3500, D5500, D5600, D7100, D7200...

Exactly my above point.

The difference is the speed & convenience and additional options/features of a "bridge" camera that allow faster and more accurate exposure/focusing in a (10X) greater variety of situations. Thus more shooting opportunities.

All of these lead to more "FUN" and satisfaction.

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,825

I'd consider an interchangeable lens camera because that's what he's interested in.  I suppose one might question the way to something else but maybe get what he wants "just because" and work around/learn from mistakes if needed.

Craig Gillette wrote:

I'd consider an interchangeable lens camera because that's what he's interested in. I suppose one might question the way to something else but maybe get what he wants "just because" and work around/learn from mistakes if needed.

I cant question the validity of that ... he certainly may not be happy w/ anything he considers "lesser".

All I know is after my experience with "bridge", I will never go back to ILC unless for a specific purpose, (maybe an A9).

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,105

Used instead of new?  Anyways, over the years there have been lots of threads on entry level cameras -

First camera for $500 (with kit lens)

Sony vs Olympus vs Panasonic vs Fujifilm

What is the Best camera for an ameture photographer??

Recommendation entry level mirrorless system

Kelly Cook
(Olympus E-PL2 and Sony A200 survivor)

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,072

Canon 100d or 200d.

Similar camera in many ways to the d3300 etc but more APSC specific lenses that have excellent IQ and are affordable too

The wonderful ef-s 10-18mm, efs 24mm f2.8 stm pancake, the 35mm f2.8 macro, 40mm Ff f2.8 pancake etc.

I find due to Canon's highlight tone priority they blow highlights less than Nikon cameras and the colours are 2nd to none. I found AF to be more reliable than Nikon if not as good for sports tracking, the 100d ain't good over ISO 3200 but up to that has wonderful output and the 200d is as good a sensor as my X-t2 IMHO and fine at ISO 6400 and both have amazing auto wb and smashing JPEG as well as RAW files.

100d is fixed screen 200d is fully articulated touchscreen

I had a d5300 which is a better action camera but if you're not doing fast tracking, I prefer the Canons due to WB, colour and lens selection.

If you want entry level for tracking the d5300 is barely bettered in the essentials than a newer incremental update and can be had used at a great price also. Sensor as good as 200d sensor. Just poor selection of dedicated APSC lenses so you have to go zoom, third party or huge expensive FF lenses.

The Canon ef-s lenses are a credit to the company

If he chooses either brand and wants a really good midrange zoom lens instead of primes the Sigma 17-50mm ex DC OS HSM f2.8 is a stellar lens and at mint condition used prices is a steal.  Lightning fast Af and near prime quality IQ and reviews better optically than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8.  I owned it and would comfortably call it a bag of primes (except at 17mm)

Cheers

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads