A pitch-black Friday purchase

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
otumay
otumay Contributing Member • Posts: 578
A pitch-black Friday purchase

I'd long decided that I have more than enough of lenses, Art or otherwise, but was tricked into ordering the 85mm Art, yesterday. You all know the quickened heartbeat, the frequent checking of the door, etc. I read some serious reviews about this lens and my expectations are higher than ever. I shall start with the sdQH, then move on to SD1M, SD15, 14 and 10. I read that peak performance in terms of crispness is at f/4. Any suggestions are most welcome. But be quick please, the doorbell may ring any minute!

-- hide signature --
 otumay's gear list:otumay's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD10 +18 more
Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,937
Re: A pitch-black Friday purchase

I used to own it but sold it. It's a very heavy lens but razor sharp center to corner at f5.6. It also has noticeable Longitudinal CA that's not too bad by f5.6 but doesn't fully go away until f11. I don't do portraits so I didn't need the f1.4 aperture and traded it for the 70mm A macro which is much lighter, smaller and of even higher IQ.

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,428

Nice! Congratulations Osman! I've been thinking about getting that lens too, but I've been thinking it's too close to 70mm, so I should just get the longer 135mm f1.8 Art instead, and I can fill in the gap between 70mm and 135mm with a 105mm macro. Can you please post a set of photos shot at both f4 and f5.6 (and maybe a higher f-stop, like f6.3 or f7.1), using the SD Quattro H with minimal processing and little or no sharpening? Since I imagine you'll be testing your new beast extensively, I'd love to see test photos shot from a sturdy tripod, with a stationary subject that has fine details in at least one of the corners too.

I look forward to seeing some of your test photos Osman.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
otumay
OP otumay Contributing Member • Posts: 578

Scottelly wrote:

Nice! Congratulations Osman! I've been thinking about getting that lens too, but I've been thinking it's too close to 70mm, so I should just get the longer 135mm f1.8 Art instead, and I can fill in the gap between 70mm and 135mm with a 105mm macro. Can you please post a set of photos shot at both f4 and f5.6 (and maybe a higher f-stop, like f6.3 or f7.1), using the SD Quattro H with minimal processing and little or no sharpening? Since I imagine you'll be testing your new beast extensively, I'd love to see test photos shot from a sturdy tripod, with a stationary subject that has fine details in at least one of the corners too.

I look forward to seeing some of your test photos Osman.

Thanks Scott, as Mike put it, the lens is very heavy indeed. It is unbelievably sharp and as written by some critics, will show its best at f/4. I had the same reservation with you regarding this lens being close to 70mm, but they are totally different creations I think; although 70mm is one of my favourites. I have the 135mm as well, but that is also a different story; a truly magnificent telephoto lens.

Regarding test samples, I no longer shoot them: there are many experts around who are much better at that. Instead, I will test this lens the way I normally shoot; rarely with a tripod and catching instances as we both move. I normally do not apply any correction except for tilting and removing dust. I shall post links here whenever they are ready.

-- hide signature --
 otumay's gear list:otumay's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD10 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads