Canon MG6650 - difficulty printing on cardstock/photo paper

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
claus10 New Member • Posts: 1
Canon MG6650 - difficulty printing on cardstock/photo paper

Hello!

I have a Canon MG6650 printer which is used occassionally for printing text and very occassionally for printing photos.

I have recently been printing coloured images, photos and invites on cardstock between 160gsm & 300gsm - unfortunately the colour is printing extremely poorly (I have also tested this on normal paper and am finding the same issues).

When I say the colours are printing poorly I mean there are streaks and some colours do not appear to print at all.

The printer is using compatible ink from stinkyink currently. The cartridges are half full.

I am not sure whether this printer is suitable for printing on 300gsm card - although the manual says it is able to do this for photopaper, obviously canons own brand paper only!

Before I go and purchase OEM ink are there any simple things I can consider?

Ideally I do not want to have to go any purchase a new printer if I can avoid it!

Does anyone else have any experience with this printer - what did you find worked well with it? Is this issue most likely to be related to a poor batch of ink?

Many thanks,

Claus

Canaryfan Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: Canon MG6650 - difficulty printing on cardstock/photo paper

I think most Canons have a very similar printer driver interface so yours is probably much the same as my TS9150 driver.

If so, go to the maintenance tab & then the nozzle check tab & follow the instructions.

If that shows any problems, go to the cleaning tab & try that. If still no joy try the deep clean tab &, if necessary & as a last resort, the print head alignment tab.

If none of this works then I would try it all again. If still no joy there may be another problem elsewhere which would be uneconomical to repair & you may need to consider a new printer.

I don't know anything about the ink you are using but, in the past I have used third party inks with no issues. I would be surprised if your troubles were caused by the ink.

I regularly use 300gsm to 315gsm photo papers with no issues other than it is vital that the paper is completely flat when fed into the printer otherwise I get overspray on the papers edges, ruining an outstanding piece of art (!) plus an expensive bit paper covered in expensive Canon ink!!

Good luck.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,542
Re: Canon MG6650 - difficulty printing on cardstock/photo paper

Are you trying to print from the cassette or the rear paper feed?

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,626
Nozzle check? Regular photo paper? Also ...

I have a Canon MG6650 printer which is used occassionally for printing text and very occassionally for printing photos.

I have recently been printing coloured images, photos and invites on cardstock between 160gsm & 300gsm - unfortunately the colour is printing extremely poorly (I have also tested this on normal paper and am finding the same issues).

When I say the colours are printing poorly I mean there are streaks and some colours do not appear to print at all.

For almost any printing problem, the first thing to do is to perform a nozzle check on plain paper (photocopier paper or similar). Are all the colors showing properly where they are supposed to show? If not, then that is the first and main problem. Maybe you have a clogged head, or air in the system, or a bad ink cartridge, or something else. But unless you can get a complete and correct nozzle check, work on that first.

The printer is using compatible ink from stinkyink currently. The cartridges are half full.

There seem to be many more problems with third party cartridges and/or ink than with genuine Canon or Epson ink. However, we don't know whether the third-party ink is the problem here.

I am not sure whether this printer is suitable for printing on 300gsm card - although the manual says it is able to do this for photopaper, obviously canons own brand paper only!

Does the MG6650 have a second, straighter paper feed path for thicker photo papers? Some of these Canons do but some do not. If there is a a second, straighter paper feed path, then use it!

The problem is not really (or at least not mainly) the weight of the paper (300 gsm), but the paper's stiffness. Thicker papers tend to be stiffer than thinner papers. Heavier papers tend to be stiffer than lighter papers. Alpha cellulose papers tend to be stiffer than "resin coated" papers and 100% cotton papers.

Before I go and purchase OEM ink are there any simple things I can consider?

In addition to what I suggested above, you can also try printing on a relatively thin, flexible resin-coated paper, such as regular Canon glossy.

Also, a dye-ink printer like the MG6650 will not print well on some cardstocks.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads