Canon 5D2 (unmodified) and infrared?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
sensiblename99 Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Canon 5D2 (unmodified) and infrared?

I'm looking to try an IR filter on an unmodified Canon 5D2 and was hoping to hear anyone's experience or suggestions.

I don't want to modify the camera and wonder how well IR filters like the Cokin 007 Infrared 720-89B or Hoya 720nm would work.

It seems everyone modifies their bodies so am I wasting time and money just trying an IR filter alone?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Re: Canon 5D2 (unmodified) and infrared?

sensiblename99 wrote:

I'm looking to try an IR filter on an unmodified Canon 5D2 and was hoping to hear anyone's experience or suggestions.

I don't want to modify the camera and wonder how well IR filters like the Cokin 007 Infrared 720-89B or Hoya 720nm would work.

It seems everyone modifies their bodies so am I wasting time and money just trying an IR filter alone?

The cover glass of the sensor does a pretty good job of blocking IR and UV light.  See http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/filters.htm for a good description of what's involved with camera modification.  I suspect you will be in for extremely long exposures without modifying your camera.

OP sensiblename99 Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Re: Canon 5D2 (unmodified) and infrared?

Sittatunga wrote:

sensiblename99 wrote:

The cover glass of the sensor does a pretty good job of blocking IR and UV light. See http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/filters.htm for a good description of what's involved with camera modification. I suspect you will be in for extremely long exposures without modifying your camera.

Thanks, I'm interested to know of peoples experience with the standard body.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads