Gray market Sigma - 3rd party seller "6ave" on Amazon?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
wigoe1984 New Member • Posts: 3
Gray market Sigma - 3rd party seller "6ave" on Amazon?

Is it Amazon's policy to explicitly state whether a lens is gray market? If so, should I be able to return it to the seller without a restocking fee?

I recently purchased a new new Sigma 135mm 1.8  (click on link for listing) from a 3rd party Amazon seller "6ave" for $1,147.85.  The item is fulfilled by Amazon. It is currently in transit.

The price was a little lower than others. After some research I learned that Sigma does not honor warranty repairs for non-dealership lens sales. 6ave is not listed as an authorized Sigma dealer.

The listing does not specifically say whether it is an international/domestic lens. The seller's listing has a link to Sigma's policy for warranty in  the warranty section.  Does the seller have to disclose this information?  I also feel that this information was implied by linking Sigma's warranty information.  But, I may be naïve.

This my fault for not being more careful!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Dana F Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: Gray market Sigma - 3rd party seller "6ave" on Amazon?

Amazon has a lot of  3rd party sellers and they're real good about saying that.

I bought the SD Q from amazon, search for after market and never found anything. Stated it was 'Fulfilled' by Amazon.

It was from Canada, grey market in USA. It had a problem 7 months later.Filed for Warranty and Sigma said NO, GREY Market. 250usd would be added to the repair bill.

No help from Amazon, Seller offered to try to get it repaired  in Canada if I shipped it back, Fortunately I bought the extended warranty I filed my claim and the warranty repaired my camera. Precision  Camera Repair, thru Sigma repair.

If it was me I'd send it back during the 30day return period, Amazon guarantees that.

I'd buy from a camera dealer. They will tell you up front if it's Grey Market.

I now only buy  small items from  amazon and the expensive item from retailers that don't use 3rd. party fill ins.

Good Luck.

Dana F's gear list:Dana F's gear list
Pentax *ist D Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sigma sd Quattro Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +3 more
mdmarqphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

wigoe1984 wrote:

Is it Amazon's policy to explicitly state whether a lens is gray market? If so, should I be able to return it to the seller without a restocking fee?

I'm not sure if it's actually a policy to state that, but many do.

I recently purchased a new new Sigma 135mm 1.8 (click on link for listing) from a 3rd party Amazon seller "6ave" for $1,147.85. The item is fulfilled by Amazon. It is currently in transit.

The price was a little lower than others. After some research I learned that Sigma does not honor warranty repairs for non-dealership lens sales. 6ave is not listed as an authorized Sigma dealer.

As soon as you see the price lower than others, it's time to do your research about the possibility of gray market before making the purchase.

The listing does not specifically say whether it is an international/domestic lens. The seller's listing has a link to Sigma's policy for warranty in the warranty section. Does the seller have to disclose this information? I also feel that this information was implied by linking Sigma's warranty information. But, I may be naïve.

That listing is not unique to the seller, there is an option to purchase it from many other vendors from the same listing.  I believe that link to Sigma's warranty policy was added by Amazon or another vendor, so it doesn't imply anything from any one vendor.

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,608
Your responsibility...

wigoe1984 wrote:

I recently purchased a new new Sigma 135mm 1.8 (click on link for listing) from a 3rd party Amazon seller "6ave" for $1,147.85. The item is fulfilled by Amazon. It is currently in transit.

The listing does not specifically say whether it is an international/domestic lens. The seller's listing has a link to Sigma's policy for warranty in the warranty section. Does the seller have to disclose this information? I also feel that this information was implied by linking Sigma's warranty information. But, I may be naïve.

This is why I always advocate caution when buying from Marketplace Sellers on Amazon; it's no better than buying on ebay.  No, it's not Amazon's responsibility to state that something is grey market, or if a seller is an authorized dealer for the products they are selling.  The Marketplace is the digital equivalent of renting a table at the local Farmer's Market.

Mark

OP wigoe1984 New Member • Posts: 3

Yes, this is what I thought. Lesson learned. The money saved by the lens could be eclipsed by repair bills. Thank you for all of the responses.

OP wigoe1984 New Member • Posts: 3

Yes, I read your thread when I was doing my research. This inspired me to question my purchase. Thank you for the reply. I am glad the issue got resolved.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads