When amateur is gear-haunted

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Kanashi
Kanashi Forum Member • Posts: 62
When amateur is gear-haunted

I wanted to share with you my (horribly written) story about how I got like 6 different cameras in two years, because I was obsessed with getting the camera that would take me to the pro level of photography.

There you can read it

I was also on this website so much during that time, asking for help when I did every choice, it must have been so much annoying. So thanks to all people that helped me.

Kanashi's gear list:Kanashi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324
Re: When amateur is gear-haunted

Kanashi wrote:

I wanted to share with you my (horribly written) story about how I got like 6 different cameras in two years, because I was obsessed with getting the camera that would take me to the pro level of photography.

There you can read it

I was also on this website so much during that time, asking for help when I did every choice, it must have been so much annoying. So thanks to all people that helped me.

Gear doesn't get you to pro level, only skill and talent can do that.

Kanashi
OP Kanashi Forum Member • Posts: 62

Yes, that's exactly why I sold all at the end and get some cheap old Canon cameras and lenses:) I was taking photos with 40D & 50/1.8 for two years and this year finally allowed myself to get some new pieces.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,594

Sadly this phenomenon is driven by a lot of advice given in these fora and similar.

Tuition or books would go well into the mix.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Kanashi

Yeah, but it's everywhere. Not just there.

And mostly at places, where people do not totally understand photography and are just laughing at your gear that is old/cheap/small (literally, would you trust more a photographer with little camera or with big bulky lens?! but at least that is now getting better, with mirrorless cameras gaining on popularity).

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,594

Occasionally on here people do wonder if they will get more work if they have a bigger camera.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
theworstphotographerontheinternet Regular Member • Posts: 181

Kanashi wrote:

It's so easy to get hung-up over what your using when you're new to photography. Whenever I feel the pull of new gear, I make a point of looking at sample images taken using the camera/lenses I currently own. That helps to remind me of exactly what my current set-up is able to achieve in the right hands (i.e. someone else's!).

All Bushs Fault Regular Member • Posts: 254

Phil A Martin wrote:

Kanashi wrote:

There you can read it

There are professional photographers who have neither.

All Bushs Fault's gear list:All Bushs Fault's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,404

All Bushs Fault wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

There are professional photographers who have neither.

The art of photography is not the same thing as the art of selling photographic services.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

I enjoyed reading your story.  Although i don't own one for my current camera brand, Nikon, the 70-200 2.8 was my favorite lens when I was doing livestock portraits with Pentax.

Work with what you have now and keep at it. But seek out some instruction/guidance from people whose photography you admire and respect. Never stop learning.

Best of luck.

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 +12 more
Kanashi

They do have a skill to sell their photos

Kanashi

Yeh! That's what I'm doing too. I'm now ok with my gear (I just needed something over 10mpix for microstocks, but that's somehow reasonable).

Kanashi

Thanks so much for reading it!
I'm learning every day my whole life, at everything I'm doing. And I started taking photos  for myself/others but not in a way ,,I would like to get 100 likes" but in a way "I would like to please pet owners/people that will my photo actually use but I don't care if it wouldn't get enough exposure".

cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

Kanashi wrote:

Thanks so much for reading it!
I'm learning every day my whole life, at everything I'm doing. And I started taking photos for myself/others but not in a way ,,I would like to get 100 likes" but in a way "I would like to please pet owners/people that will my photo actually use but I don't care if it wouldn't get enough exposure".

From what I have seen, pet photography is either saturated or has been replaced by owners doing it themselves with cell phones.  Around me the market is also heavy with folks doing horse photography.  I carved out my spot by catering to small farmers and 4-H kids and specialize in livestock portraits of  chickens, cattle, swine.

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 +12 more
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,556

We recently upgraded all our gear. The motive to buy was driven by taking our old stuff all over the country and the camera body and our main lens quite literally falling apart. Cosmetic mostly, but just the same.  Rubber grips coming off.  That kind of thing.

I will say the new gear (mirrorless full frame) has made things easier to understand and execute vs our old entry level DSLR.  Also, the additional funds spent on a couple decent primes have improved portraits of kids. But fast primes would’ve helped with our old body too.

Most of my improvements this year have come from reading and understanding more about what I want to do in certain situations with particular subjects.

What I really need to work on (and where the pros have a significant edge) is composition and understanding how to pose subjects.  I also want to understand light  better.  I have a speed light that does okay with bounce and fill. I don’t need a big studio set. But I would like to get a decent reflector to use outdoors to fill a bit with natural light shots.  I wouldn’t know what to do with it if I had one right now.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934

Kanashi wrote:

There you can read it

The moral of this story: don't sell your gear.  You'll just wind up buying it back again.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Kanashi

To be honest, I'm glad I did it all. Because now I know, what I do like and what is the camera I'm enjoying. It was my pricy lesson (but I sold most of the gear for a good price, most of the time the same as I bought it).

Kanashi

That's so cool! Yes, pet and horses photography is oversaturated where I live too, on the other hand, people are still looking for new photographers to get new photos. I'm thinking about do more rodents and cats, as they are not portrayed that much as dogs and horses. But I want to keep this as a hobby - I'm not able to promote myself and talk to people that well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads