Costco Photo Uploader Color Issues

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
IlliniBobbiP New Member • Posts: 5
Costco Photo Uploader Color Issues

Hi Everyone,

I print my own work often at Costco and know about the "ignore color correction" setting when you go to order your prints, but this is a different problem.

I have had my daughter's senior photos taken by 2 different professional photographers and have full digital printing rights assigned by the photographers. I was going to upload and begin designing a photo book for the grandparents tonight, but the colors on the professional photos were way off upon upload. I can't see any settings prior to upload.

One photographer's release actually mentions/suggests Costco, so it's not me trying to circumvent any copyrights. Here's a screenshot of the uploaded photo side by side with the photo as it appears when I open it directly from the thumb drive:

Photo on right was uploaded into Costco album and color is horrible as in left. (https://www.facebook.com/Carmenjacobsonphotography)

Likewise:  Costco upload on left of photo from thumb drive on the right.  (http://www.davidjensenphotography.com)

Can anyone humor me and see if the Costco website is having issues, or if it's me, or if it's something imbedded in the photographers' files? (Strange for me that both photographers' photos upload with bad coloration.)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! (And of course it's after hours for Costco technical support.)

IlliniBobbiP's gear list:IlliniBobbiP's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 19,363
Re: Costco Photo Uploader Color Issues

I suspect a color space issue. Do you know how to examine the color space and convert it if necessary? Your photographers should know what I'm talking about. Describe the problem to them and ask them if they're giving you files in the sRGB color space.

OP IlliniBobbiP New Member • Posts: 5

I know I save all mine as RGB.  I'll have to contact the photographers.  Thx.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Walter Sudetic Junior Member • Posts: 38

It's a colour space mismatch issue.

Download specific Costco printer profile(s) from DryCreekPhoto.com. They have them for each Costco location.

Save/copy/import it in proper directory for your OS

In Lightroom export the image using this printer profile instead of sRGB one.

Upload to Costco and select "no adjustments" box.

Else, upload the file to Costco as is, but let them do all the auto adjustments. May not get perfect colours, but perhaps a bit better.

OP IlliniBobbiP New Member • Posts: 5

I checked and one photographer is Adobe RGB (which is what I do and it seems to be fine at Costco) and the other is ProPhotoRGB.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 19,363

IlliniBobbiP wrote:

I checked and one photographer is Adobe RGB (which is what I do and it seems to be fine at Costco) and the other is ProPhotoRGB.

My guess is the one with the horse is ProPhoto because it looks way off, and the other one that's not as bad is Adobe.

Anyway, I always submit sRGB to Costco, so I can't offer any further help.

Bernie3 Regular Member • Posts: 181

The ProPhotoRGB image needs to be converted to sRGB color space.

Here are instructions How to use profiles for printing http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

Overview

Edit the image to your taste

Download & install Costco printer profile, windows 10.

View/Proof Colors to proof the image in the printers profile

If the image that you are Soft Proofing looks greatly different from the original, a slight boost to saturation and/ or a minor curves or color balance adjustments are often all that are needed to bring things into line. If your shadow details disappear, selective dodging can bring them back.

Resize the image to 300 ppi and the resolution according to Costco image size / resolution suggestions for optimum printing http://www.costcophotocenter.com/Help/#/topic/product-information---prints

Optional - Costco crops off the edges. If that's not acceptable add pixels to the canvas for the small area that Costco crops off

Convert the image to the appropriate printer profile (Edit/Convert to Profile)

Click File Save As, select Jpeg, save at maximum quality, use the "Baseline - Optimized" format option

Upload the jpeg image to Costco and during the ordering process select "do not apply automated image enhancement or adjustments"

Before closing the photoshop image, Undo convert profile in the History tab.

Bernie

Bernie3's gear list:Bernie3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,342

IlliniBobbiP wrote:

Since you sound familiar with color space you might try simply converting the files to sRGB, tweaking color and contrast if needed, and see how that works. If you still have problems then you could move to the more elaborate method with profiles.

Or if you do a lot of printing through Costco it could be worth the time to master the use of profiles anyhow.

Gato

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads