Eye autofocus

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
echodoc Junior Member • Posts: 39
Eye autofocus

This weekend was my grandson first birthday.  I was elected photographer.  I brought my XT-4 and 16-55 f2.8 and my Sony A7RIV.  My intention was to use the Fuji so I wouldn't have to postprocess. The Fuji jpegs are great. I am mainly a landscape photographer.  I had to abandone the Fuji because the eye autofocus was all over the place.  Not even close to the Sony.  Are there settings I can tweak to make it better. I really love my Fuji cameras. The image stabilization on the XT-4 is amazing and leaves Sony in the dust, but the eye autofocus is disappointing.

E

echodoc's gear list:echodoc's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-T30 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +13 more
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
Re: Eye autofocus

Were you using AF-S or AF-C?

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
OP echodoc Junior Member • Posts: 39

AF-C

Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-T30 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +13 more
OP echodoc Junior Member • Posts: 39

The eye autofocus square was on the forehead, the pillow behind. Just crazy and unreliable.

Bolothegreat Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Yes the face / eye AF is a bit behind the best Sony/Canon unfortunately. If you're used to that sticky AF it can be frustrating trying to use the Fuji in the same way. It's annoying when someone moves their head a bit or looks away & the face detection loses it...

I really hope Fuji can improve in this area as other than this XT4 is the perfect camera for me.

In the meantime I'm learning to adapt...sometimes it's just easier to turn eye af off. You might wanna try the wide / tracking too, it seems to work well enough.

Fuji's Eye-AF seems to see dead people too quite often (seeing faces where there isn't one). For portraits I usually find it quite usable though. The screen overlay also seems to lag a bit & jumpy / nervous while the actual pic might be in focus.

Hope they can improve on it via firmware but not holding my breath. Maybe with the next sensor / processor they may have a breakthrough...XH2?

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,604

Despite improvement with  FW4 (did you upgrade ??) it is not enterely dependable

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads