ZWO ASIair Pro

Started 4 months ago | Questions
User8692945365 New Member • Posts: 3
ZWO ASIair Pro

The ZWO ASIair Pro seems like a practical way to automate a shooting session, and appears to have been tested with various Nikon and Canon cameras. I’m wondering if anyone has experience to confirm that it will or will not function as well with Olympus OMD cameras such as my E-M1ii?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,327
Re: ZWO ASIair Pro

What mount will it be controlling?

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
burning1rr Contributing Member • Posts: 658

User8692945365 wrote:

The ZWO ASIair Pro seems like a practical way to automate a shooting session, and appears to have been tested with various Nikon and Canon cameras. I’m wondering if anyone has experience to confirm that it will or will not function as well with Olympus OMD cameras such as my E-M1ii?

If no one chimes in with an answer, consider buying one from a shop with a return policy. I've heard that it uses INDI, but it's not clear whether that's just for the mount, or if it's for the camera and other devices as well.

Stellarmate is a viable alternative to the ASIair. It's an open source solution; you can license it and install it on your own hardware if you like.

Internally, it's KStars, EKOS, and INDI. It uses GPhoto for camera control, so it should support your Olympus bodies. You can test how it works with your mount, camera, and accessories using the desktop version of KStars.

The gotcha is that Stellarmate isn't nearly as user friendly as the ASIAir. The phone app isn't as full featured as EKOS, and controlling it with VNC isn't as simple as using an app.

burning1rr's gear list:burning1rr's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D200 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +16 more
Aaron@Utah Senior Member • Posts: 1,629

The manual only shows support for canon and nikon cameras

every camera that I have tried that isn't on the list of supported cameras hasn't worked

I know it will not work with sony cameras which are not on the list of compatible cameras so I could only assume that the olympus isn't going to work either

you can still use the camera you just can't control it from the ASIAIR Pro which kinda defeats the purpose

-- hide signature --

Mac OS X: Because making UNIX user friendly was easier than fixing Windows.

Aaron@Utah's gear list:Aaron@Utah's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a6100 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +16 more
burning1rr Contributing Member • Posts: 658

Aaron@Utah wrote:

The manual only shows support for canon and nikon cameras

every camera that I have tried that isn't on the list of supported cameras hasn't worked

I know it will not work with sony cameras which are not on the list of compatible cameras so I could only assume that the olympus isn't going to work either

you can still use the camera you just can't control it from the ASIAIR Pro which kinda defeats the purpose

Thanks for answering.

When I looked at the ASIAir, I was considering running my Sony bodies with a remote release cable. Glad I didn't; plate solving with my main camera has been invaluable.

burning1rr's gear list:burning1rr's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D200 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +16 more
Otakar34 New Member • Posts: 1

ASI AIR Only supports Canon and Nikon SLR cameras and cameras manufactured by ZWO. However an an alternative is Primaluce lab "core). see the link https://www.primalucelab.com/. This product supports Olympus as well as Sony

Clear skies

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads