(SOME) photos won't copy to computer

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,273
(SOME) photos won't copy to computer

Strange.  I took almost 3,000 JPEG photos onto a Lexar 128 GB XQD card and tried to copy them to my computer, but only about half of them show up when I view the card using File Explorer.

But when I put the card back into the camera, ALL the photos ARE visible.  Weird.  I don't think I've ever seen this behavior in the past with my previous cameras.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I just tried deleting the last photo (and also that file that Nikon puts at the end of the list of JPEG's.  I hope deleting that didn't mess things up.)

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +19 more
PerfectPoms
OP PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,273
Re: (SOME) photos won't copy to computer

Well, the solution didn't take long: in fact, after trying to look at the photos several different ways, and exploring all folders on the XQD card, it seems the solution is to simply pull out of the drawer one of my older XQD card reader!

Weird.  I recently stopped using CFExpress cards in my D6 camera because of multiple issues, including the Sandisk 64gb CFExpress card getting SHOCKINGLY hot in only a minute in my Lexar card reader, and then when I bought a different card reader, discovering it works reliably with only 2 of my 3 brands of CFExpress cards - but now that I'm back to using XQD cards, I get this weirdness.

Anybody else ever notice that one XQD card reader doesn't 'see' all the images on your card, whereas another card will?

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +19 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517

PerfectPoms wrote:

Anybody else ever notice that one XQD card reader doesn't 'see' all the images on your card, whereas another card will?

I don't have any other card reader so I can't tell I only have the Sony XQD USB3 Adapter Model QDA-SB1 reader - and it never misses a file.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,745

PerfectPoms wrote:

Well, the solution didn't take long: in fact, after trying to look at the photos several different ways, and exploring all folders on the XQD card, it seems the solution is to simply pull out of the drawer one of my older XQD card reader!

Weird. I recently stopped using CFExpress cards in my D6 camera because of multiple issues, including the Sandisk 64gb CFExpress card getting SHOCKINGLY hot in only a minute in my Lexar card reader, and then when I bought a different card reader, discovering it works reliably with only 2 of my 3 brands of CFExpress cards - but now that I'm back to using XQD cards, I get this weirdness.

I use XQD with my D500 (last 4 years) and D850 more recently.  I have Lexar and Sony cards.  I use the Sony card reader QDASB1 for the Sony cards and always works without issue.  Same can be said for my Lexar reader LRWXQDU.  I have occasionally downloaded to computer direct from camera with the lead and that works too but is slower.

George Angelow New Member • Posts: 1

Hi, Bill ...

Transfer images directly from the camera via cable to the computer ...

Greetings from Sofia

George

George Angelow's gear list:George Angelow's gear list
Nikon D3000 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D3400 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads