Three Lens to take to a wedding - Pro and on a Budget - FX only

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
I am Bowie Forum Member • Posts: 71
Three Lens to take to a wedding - Pro and on a Budget - FX only

Heres the ask - you are limited to 3 lens to use at a wedding.  The wedding will be during the day and outdoors. The reception/party will be indoors and some areas of the hall will be outdoors in the night.

For the Pro - what 3 lens will you pack and for what use:

1)

2)

3)

Pro Extra - You have no assistant and there’s a need for lighting - but you must use battery powered lighting only. What will you bring?

1)

— —

For the enthusiast on a budget - you have $1700USD to buy 3 used lens (on eBay or whatever) - what 3 lens will you buy for this wedding and what will they be used for:

1)

2)

3)

— —

Disaster Strikes Option - you had to fly to the wedding - your carryon camera bag hold the camera and only 2 lens and your luggage with the lights and 3rd lens is delayed. What 2 lens do you feel will get you by and still take shots worth getting paid (any 2 lens regardless or price)

1)

2)

Thanks.

I am Bowie's gear list:I am Bowie's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
Zoran K Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Re: Three Lens to take to a wedding - Pro and on a Budget - FX only

I am Bowie wrote:

Heres the ask - you are limited to 3 lens to use at a wedding. The wedding will be during the day and outdoors. The reception/party will be indoors and some areas of the hall will be outdoors in the night.

1) Nikon 14-24/2.8 , Tamron 15-30/2.8 or similar

2) Nikon/Tamron 24-70/2.8 or similar

3) Nikon/Tamron 70-200/2.8 or similar

Pro Extra - You have no assistant and there’s a need for lighting - but you must use battery powered lighting only. What will you bring?

1) Same as previous + flash & other necessary lights.

— — If I have to use only one lens - 24-120/4 or similar

For the enthusiast on a budget - you have $1700USD to buy 3 used lens (on eBay or whatever) - what 3 lens will you buy for this wedding and what will they be used for:

1) 20/2.8 or similar

2) 24-120/4 or similar

3) 70-200/4 or similar

— —

Disaster Strikes Option - you had to fly to the wedding - your carryon camera bag hold the camera and only 2 lens and your luggage with the lights and 3rd lens is delayed. What 2 lens do you feel will get you by and still take shots worth getting paid (any 2 lens regardless or price)

1) 24-70/2.8

2) 70-200/2.8

3) If I have to go with only one lens i will go with 24-120/4.

Thanks.

OP I am Bowie Forum Member • Posts: 71

Zoran K wrote:

3) If I have to go with only one lens i will go with 24-120/4

Zoran - I have the old 24-120 AF-D and it an inconsistent lens that I only use in manual (which then is okay).  I put up with it because i love the zoom range and manual is not a bother.  I’ll look into this version - seems very inexpensive and I would like an inexpensive replacement for the older lens.

Thanks.

Nikon D3S Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,307

24-70 2.8, 50 1.4, 105 macro

If I sit and think about it more I might sub in the 85 for the 50.

If I were shooting two bodies and primes only, I'd go 28 1.4, 50 1.4, 105 macro.

If I had a limited budget? 28-105 3.5-4.5 (IIRC), 50 1.8, 105 macro.

Lighting is a no-brainer: Godox AD200Pro round head with a full set of mods. Ideally two or three of them. 2x batteries for each light.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

I am Bowie wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

3) If I have to go with only one lens i will go with 24-120/4

Zoran - I have the old 24-120 AF-D and it an inconsistent lens that I only use in manual (which then is okay). I put up with it because i love the zoom range and manual is not a bother. I’ll look into this version - seems very inexpensive and I would like an inexpensive replacement for the older lens.

Thanks.

The new version is better (depends on copy). My copy is as good as my Nikon 24-70/2.8 at the middle of the frame. Since that is the most important part for wedding photography (usually we blur or vignette the rest of the frame) this zoom is pretty handy for that kind of photography. For critical editing I use DXO Photolab + Topaz Sharpen and the final image is done in Photoshop. With careful editing the final version is virtually indistinguishable from one done with 24-70/2.8. Therefore I sold the 24-70/2.8 for that reason.

— —

1)

2)

Thanks.

There is another options to cover everything with only 2 lenses:

Tamron 15-30/2.8

Tamron 35-150/2.8

I have both. They are excellent and nowadays they are my preferred 2 lens set.

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,115

For the wedding itself- 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 will cover it.  If you are going to do any portraits after the event then 85 f1.8 might be useful.  Some photographers also use a small macro for photos of rings and things like that before the event.

For an outdoor event, or if you have flash, then you could use f4 lenses instead of the f2.8 lenses.

Stujomo
Stujomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,779

I am Bowie wrote:

Heres the ask - you are limited to 3 lens to use at a wedding. The wedding will be during the day and outdoors. The reception/party will be indoors and some areas of the hall will be outdoors in the night.

1) 24-70 F2.8

2) 34mm f1.4

3) 70-200 f2.8

1) Don't know probably multiple speed lights. Or portable elinchrom units

— —

1) Same as above maybe 3 party to keep on budget

2) Same as above 3 party to keep on budget

3) 80-200 f2.8 D

— —

1) 24-70 f2.8

2) 70-200 f2.8

Thanks.

Stujomo's gear list:Stujomo's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,257

I am Bowie wrote:

1) 24-70 F2.8 misc

2) 70-200 F2.8 anything from a feet back

3) 84f1.4 (maybe 105f1.4) - portraits, low light. Was tempted for a 105vr here for ring shots, but 24-70 will do.

1) my three speedlites with Pocket Wizards

— —

1)

As close as I could get to the above. Depends on what's available at the moment. Might be older 70-200 or 80-200 AF-D versions.  (24-70g, 70-200 vr i or II or 80-200, 85f1.4AF-D)

2)

3)

— —

1) 24-70

2) 70-200

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more

Zoran K wrote:

There is another options to cover everything with only 2 lenses:

Tamron 15-30/2.8

Tamron 35-150/2.8

I have both. They are excellent and nowadays they are my preferred 2 lens set.

Zoran - I only have 1 Tamron (90mm VC SP) and I did not know about this 35-150mm/2.8 offering.

I like my 90mm and from what is on YouTube, the 35-150 is an outstanding lens - at its price, I would seriously consider it.

Thanks for telling me about it - I never considered a Tamron zoom before.

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

1) my three speedlites with Pocket Wizards

— —

Craig,

I mostly shoot macro and i used constant LED lighting.  Thanks for tip on the Pocket Wizards.  I have spare SB600 speedlights that are havent been used in a decade - hope they still work for me to try these.

richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,382

I am Bowie wrote:

I wouldn't go near a wedding as a photographer or as a guest, but I do shoot professionally, including events.

1) 24-70 f/2.8 for wide shots

2) 70-200 f/2.8 for telephoto shots

3) 35mm f/1.4 for specialized shots.

1) Godox AD200's (I have four)

— —

No clue.  I wouldn't do this.

1)

2)

3)

— —

1) 24-70 f/2.8

2) 70-200 f/2.8

Thanks.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +16 more
Tizzio
Tizzio Senior Member • Posts: 2,155

35,85 and 70-200

Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 871

Boring answers, I'm afraid, but there's a reason that these are popular lenses.

1) 24-70/2.8 for external posed shots

2) 70-200/2.8 for shots of the speech and reception

3) 35/1.4 for the evening

1) Speedlights

— —

1) 24-70/2.8 as above

2) 70-200/2.8 as above

3) 35/1.8 as above

— —

1) 24-70/2.8

2) 70-200/2.8

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +8 more
kayaker353 Senior Member • Posts: 1,151

If battery driven light is needed, I use flash on camera with a simple bounce diffuser attached to the flash.  Simple, but effective.  Can be a bit  awkward, especially for verticals.

kayaker353's gear list:kayaker353's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,257

When I got my D850 I had to install a beta firmware on the pocketwizards for a couple of years I think, before they came out with a non-beta version.  Worked fine for the basic stuff I do.

I've also got old SB-24 and SB-26 speedlites, which when I've felt ambitious I'd trigger off the rest in SU4 mode.   Of course then I'd have to trigger them all in SU4 mode so I didn't do it much.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
mek42 Regular Member • Posts: 174

I've never shot a wedding but I am on a more limited budget and have been scouring the used markets to get an idea what is out there.

An f/2.8 70-210 zoom with VR / equivalent.

An f/2.8 24-85 zoom with VR.

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 prime (mine *might* arrive tomorrow).

Now I'm going to read everyone else's ideas and hopefully do some learning.

mek42's gear list:mek42's gear list
Nikon D2Hs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads