Which small all-weather holster case for the R5+RF 24-70?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
xtam667 Forum Member • Posts: 92
Which small all-weather holster case for the R5+RF 24-70?

There are several large enough options but I want the smallest possible that still works, which is difficult to figure out without actually trying a few. I do not plan to carry anything else in it. Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,118
Re: Which small all-weather holster case for the R5+RF 24-70?

My fav for that combo is and always has been the Lowepro. They have a series of "Toploader Zoom" type bags. I chose the 75AW II because I have a grip on mine and have plans of not only using my 24-70 f2.8 but also the 100-500 both of which will be accommodated by the 75. They have some smaller if you're not using a grip. Just check on B&H for the Lowepro Toploader Zoom AWII Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW II (Black) LP36702 B&H Photo Video

-- hide signature --

I bet that one would be just the ticket.

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 746

ProDude wrote:

My fav for that combo is and always has been the Lowepro. They have a series of "Toploader Zoom" type bags. I chose the 75AW II because I have a grip on mine and have plans of not only using my 24-70 f2.8 but also the 100-500 both of which will be accommodated by the 75. They have some smaller if you're not using a grip. Just check on B&H for the Lowepro Toploader Zoom AWII Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW II (Black) LP36702 B&H Photo Video

I have the 50 AWII and I've never really actually noticed it which I take as a good sign. It just does what it's supposed too.

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
ProfPS Regular Member • Posts: 412

Shimoda has a really cool one - it extends just like the old Mindshift holsters, but less likely to be confused with a firearm holster (i.e. also useable outside of Texas)

Swerky Regular Member • Posts: 346

xtam667 wrote:

There are several large enough options but I want the smallest possible that still works, which is difficult to figure out without actually trying a few. I do not plan to carry anything else in it. Thanks!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077485-REG/lowepro_lp36773_toploader_pro_70_aw.html

I own this one. It is perfect. Very comfortable to carry over the shoulder for hours. Includes a waist belt for better stability. Although even without it the bag is designed in a way that it remains close to the body. Doesn't wobble. But it does hold up to a dslr with grip as body goes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1590905-REG/lowepro_lp37346_photo_active_tlz_50.html

Then there is this new one in the lowepro collection. Smaller and lighter. Although I don't know how it looks like from the inside. Photos don't show how the camera hangs. May not have as good weight distribution as the first holster as the R5 and 24-70 aren't exactly  light. I would go for the first one if you carry your bag and camera for extended periods even if you have extra space in camera length for a battery grip.

People would think buying a bag isn't an issue. But there are details to look for such as wether the camera and lens slide comfortably in the bag if you have the lens hood on, etc.

Swerky's gear list:Swerky's gear list
Canon G1 X III Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,160

I found a F.64 holster bag in the closet and it fits my R5 with the 24-240mm lens without the battery grip. There is a zippered pouch on the front for batteries and other accessories. I checked B&H and they are still made and cost about $34.00 US.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +58 more

ProfPS wrote:

Shimoda has a really cool one - it extends just like the old Mindshift holsters, but less likely to be confused with a firearm holster (i.e. also useable outside of Texas)

I tried the Mindshift recently. It went back. The camera slops around all over the inside. In the Lowepro it fits like a glove and moves nowhere. Better padding as well as a far better carry strap

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more

Swerky wrote:

xtam667 wrote:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077485-REG/lowepro_lp36773_toploader_pro_70_aw.html

I own this one. It is perfect. Very comfortable to carry over the shoulder for hours. Includes a waist belt for better stability. Although even without it the bag is designed in a way that it remains close to the body. Doesn't wobble. But it does hold up to a dslr with grip as body goes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1590905-REG/lowepro_lp37346_photo_active_tlz_50.html

Then there is this new one in the lowepro collection. Smaller and lighter. Although I don't know how it looks like from the inside. Photos don't show how the camera hangs. May not have as good weight distribution as the first holster as the R5 and 24-70 aren't exactly light. I would go for the first one if you carry your bag and camera for extended periods even if you have extra space in camera length for a battery grip.

People would think buying a bag isn't an issue. But there are details to look for such as wether the camera and lens slide comfortably in the bag if you have the lens hood on, etc.

Just so you know since I've recently dealt with this, the newer Active version won't accommodate a PRO or Gripped body well. It's fine if you're using just the R5 or R6 body alone. Also I didn't care for the extension idea also used but another company since it compromises the protection at the end of the lens as there is no padding at that point. Stick with the Toploader Pro 70 or 75 if you're going to use a 100-500.

-- hide signature --

OP xtam667 Forum Member • Posts: 92

Thanks for the great suggestions. Went over B&H and looked at them. I like the Lowepro Photo Active TLZ 45 AW the best. There is a picture with it and a Sony body with the 24-70/2,8 GM mounted and it's a tight fit. So the R5 and RF24-70 should fit more or less the same.

xtam667 wrote:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Went over B&H and looked at them. I like the Lowepro Photo Active TLZ 45 AW the best. There is a picture with it and a Sony body with the 24-70/2,8 GM mounted and it's a tight fit. So the R5 and RF24-70 should fit more or less the same.

I got the 75AWII from Lowepro today. Guess what. With a grip on a R5 it won't fit. Well if you want to really try to stuff it in, but I don't. So I've ordered a Think Tank Digital Holster 50 V2. It seems as though it would have a bit more generous room to get the body in. I happened to add the Kirk Arca Swiss bracket at the bottom of the grip. It's a sweet fit and curved fit is just right. But it adds another bit of space to the bottom. I sure hope this Think Tank works or I'm done. I would imagine the Lowepro on your non gripped body will accommodate your need. That bag you chose would not work with a grip.

-- hide signature --

ProDude wrote:

xtam667 wrote:

I got the 75AWII from Lowepro today. Guess what. With a grip on a R5 it won't fit. Well if you want to really try to stuff it in, but I don't. So I've ordered a Think Tank Digital Holster 50 V2. It seems as though it would have a bit more generous room to get the body in. I happened to add the Kirk Arca Swiss bracket at the bottom of the grip. It's a sweet fit and curved fit is just right. But it adds another bit of space to the bottom. I sure hope this Think Tank works or I'm done. I would imagine the Lowepro on your non gripped body will accommodate your need. That bag you chose would not work with a grip.

That's right. With this bag the grip stays home.

xtam667 wrote:

I hear ya, but I decided when I ordered the grip it was going to be a permanent part of the camera. Indeed it turns it into a real pro animal. Yeah I get it the size can be an issue for some. But I feel the extra space to grab allows me to provide another element of steadiness too. It's certainly a boon with a RF14-70 f2.8L IS USM on the end as that lens is a beast. The RF100-500 on it's way to me will be even MORE so, so I need all the real estate to hang onto I can get. LOL. Besides, as I happen to have another battery and charger on it's way as well, it will allow me to march outside with careless abandon regarding the battery power.

-- hide signature --

ProDude wrote:

xtam667 wrote:

I hear ya, but I decided when I ordered the grip it was going to be a permanent part of the camera. Indeed it turns it into a real pro animal. Yeah I get it the size can be an issue for some. But I feel the extra space to grab allows me to provide another element of steadiness too. It's certainly a boon with a RF14-70 f2.8L IS USM on the end as that lens is a beast. The RF100-500 on it's way to me will be even MORE so, so I need all the real estate to hang onto I can get. LOL. Besides, as I happen to have another battery and charger on it's way as well, it will allow me to march outside with careless abandon regarding the battery power.

I agree, the grip is really useful, even with the funny button layout. The threshold for me to put it on is a long outing with the 100-400 or larger lens. Below that I just enjoy the small size and light weight, coming from the 1DX.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads