9 year old buy help!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,418
Useful insights

hikerdoc wrote:

My 8 year old grand daughter is asking for a camera, recommendations requested by my daughter in law. I had given an entry level Nikon to the young lady’s then 10 year old seemingly very mature cousin a year back. Seeing how it lasted but a couple months in her hands I suggested a serious but rugged camera for my grand daughter. There are several reasonable options in the DPR buying guide for waterproof cameras. My advice now: 8 or 10 is just too young for an ILC. With lenses on and off the sensor will be dirty and damaged in little time. The camera will be dropped, it will be wet, it will have a dog licking the lens, etc.

These are all very wise comments. To what extent will a child see a camera as a toy rather than an instrument? I suppose children are different though. Decades ago, at the age of 8 years old, I was very careful with my first camera - even cleaned the lens and viewfinder (with surgical spirit) from time to time.

Neil-O Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Re: 9 year old buy help!

hikerdoc wrote:

My 8 year old grand daughter is asking for a camera, recommendations requested by my daughter in law. I had given an entry level Nikon to the young lady’s then 10 year old seemingly very mature cousin a year back. Seeing how it lasted but a couple months in her hands I suggested a serious but rugged camera for my grand daughter. There are several reasonable options in the DPR buying guide for waterproof cameras. My advice now: 8 or 10 is just too young for an ILC. With lenses on and off the sensor will be dirty and damaged in little time. The camera will be dropped, it will be wet, it will have a dog licking the lens, etc.

Ha ha, I'm 64 and that happens to my cameras on a daily basis..:-D

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,179

hikerdoc wrote:

Some good points. . . But it is dependent on the individual child how the camera will be treated. Age doesn't necessarily indicate how well photo gear will be handled. I've known adult photographers who trash their gear. . .

One good thing about using a zoom lens with a relatively wide range is that it doesn't need to be removed in situations where dirt can enter the camera, damage can occur, etc. I've been a fan of zooms for a very long time in part because of their real world utility even in the hands of a "mature" photographer. LOL

Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

For the last few months I've been putting a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot in the hands of my 2.5 year old daughter, she actually surprisingly getting the hang of it, knows how to turn it on and off, take a shot and check /review the image - it's taken a few goes, but she also now goes looking for it and asking where it is...

I think the simplest camera would be smart to start with, plus easier to learn without too much going on - so like many have said  a D3500 or even just a simple point and shoot, where you can change the important things shutter speed, aperture, ISO

Great to hear your 9 year old granddaughter wants to learn, photography is such a brilliant learning process to go though at any age, but at a young age, is heart warming...

I HOPE my daughter continues to want to learn photography

Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,329

In my experience (with a lot of dogs) a lens shade protects the lens from dog licks.  And is useful for mechanical knocks and as an actual sun shade.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
717 Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Andy Currie wrote:

Your thoughts on a buy for a 9 year old...choice is:

D200 with Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OR D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens.

Go!

I vote for the D200 if those are the only two choices. The 200/300/500 series are a LOT easier to control when you want to take charge of some function. The 3xxx series seem to need a lot of menu diving to do the same things.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

Andy Currie wrote:

Your thoughts on a buy for a 9 year old...choice is:

D200 with Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OR D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens.

Go!

Go slow! Hold on to the horses.

My recommendation, is to consider a subcompact (all-in-one) bridge camera.

Such cameras as Canon SX70, Panasonic FZ300, Panasonic FZ80, and others.

These cameras can be setup as a simple point & shoot, not too complicated.

But also have other features can be grown into, and have ample zoom too.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Trash-talker won't rule us! ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads