9 year old buy help!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Andy Currie
Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 411
9 year old buy help!

Your thoughts on a buy for a 9 year old...choice is:

D200 with Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OR D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens.

Go!

-- hide signature --

Andy.

Nikon D200 Nikon D3500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Re: 9 year old buy help!

Hook em' with the new stuff ... all one brand, more user friendly, less confusion.  The D500 and 70-200 2.8 E-FL can come later ...

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
Forum GAS Junior Member • Posts: 40

Neither.  I would get a Fujifilm x100 camera.  Why?

1.  I'm a Fujifilm owner.

2.  It is small and light.  It is quite easy to have it on you in your book bag.

3.  It will teach the child the exposure triangle better I think.  It doesn't have a PASM dial.  You have to put either the aperture, shutter speed or ISO into an automatic mode.

4.  It only has one focal length (35mm  FF FOV) which can be used for a lot of things.  This will get the child to think of how a single focal length behaves.  It simplifies things in that you can't change the focal length.  One has to see with that focal length and work out a composition.  Now, it could be argued that a mid-range zoom gives the child the chance to see how different focal lengths perform.  In that case, I would give the child one of the Fujifilm X-T series cameras with two prime lenses.  Maybe one lens is a 23mm and the other a 50mm giving a FF FOV of 35mm and 75mm.  These would cover a wide range of compositions and could handle portraits well too.

5.  The X100 model of Fujifilm camera is one they can use throughout their photographic journey.  It is pretty much a timeless classic.

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,450

Andy Currie wrote:

Your thoughts on a buy for a 9 year old...choice is:

D200 with Sigma 24-70 f2.8 OR D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens.

Go!

How experienced is that 9 years old? Has he already tried any photography? Anyways, I would go for the D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens, there is time enough to learn the more complicated stuff.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

D3500 kit!

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Nikon D4S Sony a77 II +3 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,418
Kodak Brownie 127

n057 wrote:

How experienced is that 9 years old? Has he already tried any photography? Anyways, I would go for the D3500 with AF-P VR kit lens, there is time enough to learn the more complicated stuff.

I was 8 years old when I acquired my first camera, a Kodak Brownie 127. A birthday present from my Dad - a hell of a long while ago that was but the start of a life-long hobby.

@OP: D3500 + kit lens

Rosember Senior Member • Posts: 2,040

Protect him from the weight, especially that of a D200 plus 24-70 2.8. You don't want to cripple him.

So buy a light weight camera (mirror less) with a light lens.

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
Andy Currie
OP Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 411

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

I see that several people have commented on the D3500 kit, but I can find very few reviews of it and the lens. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

-- hide signature --

Andy.

N"Andy Currie wrote:

I see that several people have commented on the D3500 kit, but I can find very few reviews of it and the lens. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

You are not getting elaborate replies here because most cameras discussed here have a steep learning curve and you are asking about usage by a 9 year old. You are asking about a D200 on the one hand (heavy, steep learning curve) and about a D3500 on the other hand, which is lighter, and also has a guided mode to let one learn about photography. The D200 would require much higher motivation to use.

Try here.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3500-review

One other thing, in this forum, the cameras discussed are in the advanced category, and require advanced knowledge of photography. You are talking about a 9 year old. The D3500 you are interested in is a fairly entry-level camera, but still requires skills and understanding higher than a smartphone. Which makes me wonder about the interest level of your 9 year old. You will need to do lots of handholding and encouragement

Maybe you should ask for advice about that camera in the "Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7500) Talk Forum ", which does cover usage and experience of that particular model

JC

Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Re: 9 year old buy help! - DPR review

Andy Currie wrote:

Andy, have you seen the DPR review here:

Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
Re: Kodak Brownie 127

David Lal wrote:

n057 wrote:

I was 8 years old when I acquired my first camera, a Kodak Brownie 127. A birthday present from my Dad - a hell of a long while ago that was but the start of a life-long hobby.

@OP: D3500 + kit lens

And no doubt it was a mirrorless camera.  The first camera I personally owned in the 1950s (rather than using Dad's camera) was also mirrorless.

Andy Currie
OP Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 411

n057 wrote:

N"Andy Currie wrote:

You are not getting elaborate replies here because most cameras discussed here have a steep learning curve and you are asking about usage by a 9 year old. You are asking about a D200 on the one hand (heavy, steep learning curve) and about a D3500 on the other hand, which is lighter, and also has a guided mode to let one learn about photography. The D200 would require much higher motivation to use.

Try here.

One other thing, in this forum, the cameras discussed are in the advanced category, and require advanced knowledge of photography. You are talking about a 9 year old. The D3500 you are interested in is a fairly entry-level camera, but still requires skills and understanding higher than a smartphone. Which makes me wonder about the interest level of your 9 year old. You will need to do lots of handholding and encouragement

Thanks - the idea was that it was for my grand-daughter for her Xmas. She has already used a D750 of mine for a day and loved it and I have an old D200 and lens in the cupboard which I thought of giving her, but then the idea of the new kit came on me.

Maybe you should ask for advice about that camera in the "Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7500) Talk Forum ", which does cover usage and experience of that particular model

I'll do that - sounds sensible!

JC

-- hide signature --

Andy.

Andy Currie wrote:

Thanks - the idea was that it was for my grand-daughter for her Xmas. She has already used a D750 of mine for a day and loved it and I have an old D200 and lens in the cupboard which I thought of giving her, but then the idea of the new kit came on me.

Ah! She is already a "pro" then, like GrandPa

Well, maybe she will be able to master the D200, but sometime ago I gave an extra D200 to a 12 year old  niece, for her photography classes. She likes it but with the weight it is not a camera she carries spontaneously

JC

Already pretty competent!

Andy Currie wrote:

Andy, your niece sounds like a wonderful little girl. I'm sure she's going to love her uncle. More power to her elbow! Hmmm... try not to buy her a Nikon 200-500mm though: it is more like an anti-tank weapon than a lens.

Re: Already pretty competent!

David Lal wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

Andy, your niece sounds like a wonderful little girl. I'm sure she's going to love her uncle. More power to her elbow! Hmmm... try not to buy her a Nikon 200-500mm though: it is more like an anti-tank weapon than a lens.

On the contrary! Buy "her" any lens "you" would like, and then you can borrow it

JC

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

D3500 all the way. The D200 is ancient.

Neil-O Contributing Member • Posts: 593

Guid mornin Andy - I'm intrigued that your grand-daughter took to the D750 and I wonder what it is about that camera that she particularly liked?

If it was the fact that the D750 is a "proper" camera with all the controls up front etc. then your old D200 isn't going to disappoint.  The only drawback is that not only the 200 quite a heavy beast, - 200g more than the D750 - it feels heavy, if you know what I mean.  But it is a "proper" camera... if that's what she wants.

OTOH if what appeals most about the D750 is say the low light performance or the autofocus capabilities, then she'll be frustrated by the D200 and a more modern camera would be more suitable.  And there's no doubt the dinky Nikons are much more child friendly, size wise.

Whatever you do, just don't introduce her to the issue of CCD and CMOS sensors. Not yet anyway...

Iain G Foulds
Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 4,526

... The D200 is in every way a professional Nikon body- originally $1700 $US in 2005. The D3500- with a lens- was $500. It is a cheap, beginner camera.

... But, it might be best for a nine year old child. It’s CMOS sensor excellent for capturing the colours of balloons and crayons. Only a more mature artist could appreciate the greater and more authentic images of the D200.

-- hide signature --

... “I wander, and I follow my eyes, and the light tells me where to go.”
.......... Douglas A. Yates.

Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +1 more
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,090

Andy Currie wrote:

The D200 was my second DSLR and I still enjoy using it a lot. . . But I think that a D3500 is a better choice for a child as small as a 9 year old. It's small enough to fit in a tiny fanny pack and certainly a child's daypack. Your kid can simply select P and have a blast, saving the other modes for learning purposes. No Way would I saddle a young beginner with a single prime lens. The 18-55 kit lens has all of the basic starter DX focal lengths including a wide-angle range that I loved exploring as a young beginner.

This blog articleabout the D3500 and 18-55 zoom by Ming Thein is one of my all-time favorite photo gear "reviews." Don't let its tongue-in-cheek title throw you off. . . The reader comments are also worth perusing. Ming only paid $300 for his brand new kit from a reputable eBay seller.

hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

My 8 year old grand daughter is asking for a camera, recommendations requested by my daughter in law. I had given an entry level Nikon to the young lady’s then 10 year old seemingly very mature cousin a year back. Seeing how it lasted but a couple months in her hands I suggested a serious but rugged camera for my grand daughter. There are several reasonable options in the DPR buying guide for waterproof cameras. My advice now: 8 or 10 is just too young for an ILC. With lenses on and off the sensor will be dirty and damaged in little time. The camera will be dropped, it will be wet, it will have a dog licking the lens, etc.

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads