Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Started 4 months ago | Questions
excitron Junior Member • Posts: 36
Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

I've been having this problem, intermittently at first, now apparently permanent, in that my E-M10 Mk II blanks out the rear screen of your shooting image and data. Instead, it momentarily displays the Super Control Panel, then blanks out. Doesn't matter what lens either.

When I look in the EVF I can see the image as well as the regular overlays. I can shoot normally through the EVF. I can also shoot blind when pulled away from the EVF.  When I pull straight back from the EVF I can see it turn off and only the Super Control Panel turns back on the rear screen, but not the image or the regular overlays.

Then the rear screen blanks out, and you can't access it, or any menu options, until you first look through the EVF to turn it back on, and then pull away and hit the MENU button while the Super Control Panel is still visible to get into your settings.

Has anyone experienced this? I cleaned the EVF sensor window thinking that may have something to do with it, but of course that wasn't remotely the problem. I'm suspecting this camera is toast, but I figure I'd ask around first to see if there is some simple solution to this. Is there some setting in the camera that shuts the rear screen off save for a momentary display of the Super Control Panel? If so I would have no idea how I would have set the camera into such a mode.

I also wondered if a firmware update would help, I have 1.2, and there is a 1.3 available, although now Olympus annoyingly wants you to install some crappy software on your computer to update the firmware, which just further aggravates the entire situation I'm having with this camera.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this phenomenon and knows the solution, please let me know.

Thanks for any info on this.

ANSWER:
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,566
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

I'm suspecting this camera is toast,

If that's how you feel, you might as well do a factory reset.
Or, download the PDF manual and search it for 'lcd' or 'monitor' to find all the settings that might cause this.

 Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,382
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Danielvr wrote:

I'm suspecting this camera is toast,

If that's how you feel, you might as well do a factory reset.
Or, download the PDF manual and search it for 'lcd' or 'monitor' to find all the settings that might cause this.

Had this problem with my E-M10 II. The cause was dust on the EVF where the sensor reacts to physical proximity.

You can push up the rubber shroud to clean the EVF. Make sure you push the shroud back down properly after cleaning the EVF, so you don't loose it.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

excitron wrote:

I've been having this problem, intermittently at first, now apparently permanent, in that my E-M10 Mk II blanks out the rear screen of your shooting image and data. Instead, it momentarily displays the Super Control Panel, then blanks out. Doesn't matter what lens either.

When I look in the EVF I can see the image as well as the regular overlays. I can shoot normally through the EVF. I can also shoot blind when pulled away from the EVF. When I pull straight back from the EVF I can see it turn off and only the Super Control Panel turns back on the rear screen, but not the image or the regular overlays.

Then the rear screen blanks out, and you can't access it, or any menu options, until you first look through the EVF to turn it back on, and then pull away and hit the MENU button while the Super Control Panel is still visible to get into your settings.

Has anyone experienced this? I cleaned the EVF sensor window thinking that may have something to do with it, but of course that wasn't remotely the problem. I'm suspecting this camera is toast, but I figure I'd ask around first to see if there is some simple solution to this. Is there some setting in the camera that shuts the rear screen off save for a momentary display of the Super Control Panel? If so I would have no idea how I would have set the camera into such a mode.

I also wondered if a firmware update would help, I have 1.2, and there is a 1.3 available, although now Olympus annoyingly wants you to install some crappy software on your computer to update the firmware, which just further aggravates the entire situation I'm having with this camera.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this phenomenon and knows the solution, please let me know.

Thanks for any info on this.

I have a similar, yet different problem with my 10ii... When I turn it on, the screen lights up as usual, but soon switches to the EVF and stays there even if I hold the camera away from me. I can turn on the screen via the Menu button, but as soon as I touch the shutter, it goes back to the EVF. I can also activate the screen by tilting/pulling it out a bit.

So a bit different than yours. Maybe the connection ribbon between the camera and the screen fails, not sure.

I assume you have explored the options in the "J" section of the custom menu, specifically EVF auto switch? When you turn this "off", does anything change? In my case, if I set it to off I can perfectly switch it manually, so definitely "only" a sensor problem (which has been cleaned with various spirits and clothes of course).

Both a complete reset, as well as the firmware update would be worth a try at this point, even though it seems like something is giving way. How old is the camera, shutter count?

You don't HAVE to install the crappy Oly software, as long as you can follow instructions, this may be a better option (also reducing the possibility to brick that thing completely).

 Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,876
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

How does it behave with the EVF proximity sensor disabled ?

-- hide signature --

rd

 RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH +17 more
OP excitron Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Thanks for your replies. Well, with the EVF proximity sensor disabled, the screen came back on. When I turned it back on, I had the same symptom again. I took the rubber eyepiece cushion off and cleaned the entire area, and even with the rubber off it still did the same thing.

Therefore I have to conclude it must me some software glitch. Perhaps updating the firmware may kick the process out, dunno. I hate to have to go through a million menus again to put the machine back in my preferences, but I don't know of any other option I may have.

Strangely enough this is the second E-M10 Mk II body I've had (I lost the first one), and I remember that body occasionally doing the same thing, but usually turning it off and starting it again would remedy the situation (which used to also be the case with this body). I believe that was version 1.1 firmware, I have 1.2 in this camera now, and there is a 1.3 and 1.4, dunno if they need to be installed sequentially or not.

Very strange.

Yar1971 Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank
2

excitron wrote:

Thanks for your replies. Well, with the EVF proximity sensor disabled, the screen came back on. When I turned it back on, I had the same symptom again. I took the rubber eyepiece cushion off and cleaned the entire area, and even with the rubber off it still did the same thing.

Therefore I have to conclude it must me some software glitch. Perhaps updating the firmware may kick the process out, dunno. I hate to have to go through a million menus again to put the machine back in my preferences, but I don't know of any other option I may have.

I doubt it's software. The first thing You should really do is to clean carefully the damned eye proximity sensor on EVF. All what is seriously said in this thread (both by You & others) about symptomes indicates this very frequent problem. I had that too. Fortunately easy to solve. Only if this doesn't help, You should consider other options.

Regards

-J.

OP excitron Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

I guess you didn't read the part about me pulling the rubber off and cleaning the entire area. It's not the proximity sensor.

The fact that the rear screen works OK when I turn that off and then ONLY show me the Super Control Panel when it's on, and not showing me anything at all if it times out, seems to indicate a software glitch, one that i also experienced in my previous E-M10 Mk II, although much less severe.

Yar1971 Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

excitron wrote:

I guess you didn't read the part about me pulling the rubber off and cleaning the entire area. It's not the proximity sensor.

Apologies, that particular sentence I missed in the whole text, even though I 've read the whole thread as carefully, as I could in the morning hurry up.

So we go to the starting point. Unfortunately, I can't help anymore. However, general symptomps are as similar to the typical EVF sensor problem, as possible. Maybe just the sensor is broken in real sense (faulty electronics).

However, I do notice Your point about Your previous camera experience with similar problems. Sometimes is hard to judge who is guilty, hardware or software.

Anyway, I wish You to solve  the problem succesfully.

Regards

-J.

Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,382
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank
1

excitron wrote:

I guess you didn't read the part about me pulling the rubber off and cleaning the entire area. It's not the proximity sensor.

The fact that the rear screen works OK when I turn that off and then ONLY show me the Super Control Panel when it's on, and not showing me anything at all if it times out, seems to indicate a software glitch, one that i also experienced in my previous E-M10 Mk II, although much less severe.

There are two controls that affect how the EVF and the LCD behave.

On my E-M10 Mark II, the button on the right side of the EVF toggles the scene display and the Super Control Panel on the LCD with the EVF Auto Switch set to 'On'.

I had to take this shot about four times until I had managed to brush most of the dust off.

I have to scroll through pages and pages of custom menu to (Custom) 'J. Built-In EVF', then toggle right on the 4-way controller to see the setting.

Then I toggle right once more to actually change the setting  (up and down)

When the EVF auto switch is Off, the physical EVF button only switches the scene display between EVF and LCD.

Can you reproduce this behavior on your E-M10 Mark II?

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP excitron Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Ha, I had forgotten all about that little button on the side of the EVF, that was the problem! Frankly, I don't see the point in that setting tho (when the EVF Auto Switch set to 'On'), being as once the Super Control Panel blanks out, you don't have access to anything until you look through the EVF and activate the cycle all over again.

Anyway, before I read you post I did a firmware update and the problem was gone because all the camera settings were reset.

Thanks for that info!

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,710
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Reminds me of the time when everytime I rotated the camera sideways to take a portrait oriented shot the screen went blank... what the heck is going on I thought for a minute until I clued in that I was wearing my polarized clip-on lenses

-- hide signature --

Roger

 rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,382
Excellent - You Solved the Problem

excitron wrote:

Ha, I had forgotten all about that little button on the side of the EVF, that was the problem! Frankly, I don't see the point in that setting tho (when the EVF Auto Switch set to 'On'), being as once the Super Control Panel blanks out, you don't have access to anything until you look through the EVF and activate the cycle all over again.

I do agree that there is redundant stuff in that bloated menu. But the good thing is - you don't have to throw away your E-M10 II.

Anyway, before I read you post I did a firmware update and the problem was gone because all the camera settings were reset.

I reset mine twice, until I started to understand which settings cause what effect.

Thanks for that info!

Hoo blinking Ray.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
OP excitron Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Oly E-M10 Mk II rear screen remains blank

Lichtspiel wrote:

You don't HAVE to install the crappy Oly software, as long as you can follow instructions, this may be a better option (also reducing the possibility to brick that thing completely).

Hey I tried that and it worked. I put V1.3 in. Strange tho, he lists a V1.4 as well but the official site does not, so I'm gonna leave it at 1.3  and play it safe. It works now, I'm happy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads