Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,628
Re: Use Adobe DNG converter, free, for D850,D500 ...NEF

dave gaines wrote:

Bernard Delley wrote:

The DNG converter converts to a dng containing identical raw values. I always use lossless compressed 14 bit raw. The DNG file contains some additional, irrelevant ?, exif data. The only loss on DNG is a reduced size, built in thumbnail image. The original raw file has a full size basic quality jpg file built in as as thumb. The can be extracted using dcraw -e. The OOC thumb jpg is often good enough to be used, sometimes with minor PS tweaks. For more extensive editing with CS6, I start from DNG with PS camera raw. For the D850 and D500, I keep the NEF files archived, the dng can be produced when needed.

I've heard about the DNG file format. I heard it creates a lot of large files, maybe double the number, that fills up your remote HD.

DNG files from NEF are a little smaller than NEF, because of the smaller built in thumb image. If you keep both, it doubles HD requirements. I do not keep the DNG.

I don't know what dcraw - e is. I don't save jpg files of my shots. I always use the RAW files for processing and then save them as a jpg for most uses. Yes, save the RAW files and don't change them.

Adobe Camera RAW changes the built in thumb file of the NEF: very convenient for later viewing, if it was too dark or too bright. I still consider the jpg modifed NEF as the original NEF, as the raw data remain unchanged. The jpg changes can be undone or modified in ACR later. The jpg mods go to PS. I only keep successful PS processed jpg for the archive.

google dcraw for details. I also use dcraw for deep image analysis from the untainted original RAW data. Some results of this can be found in my dpreview 'photographic science and technology' forum threads and posts.

dcraw or its follow up libraw underlie most (all ?) of the non proprietary RAW converters !

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,589
Re: Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

My friend used Affinity Photo; he's a casual photographer (kids / vacations). He bought the software a few years back, around this time of the year, for something like $25. Normally, it's maybe $50. Does constant updates (free). He's been able to edit his Nikon Z6-II RAW files soon after he got his camera at the beginning of November.

That software is something you may want to look into.

Cheers

dave gaines wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

Simple answer is, no.

The Nikon D850 requires LR 6.13 / CC 2015.13 or later

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the bottom line.

I have LR 5.0 I believe. I mostly use PS 5.0. I'll check the versions.

Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,595
RPP and Affinity

Regards

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

dave gaines
OP dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,429
Re: RPP and Affinity

Thanks to everyone who responded here. This thread is full of good ideas and options.

No, my D850 NEF files will not open in PS CS5 so I'll be trying one or more of these ideas.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,521

Adobe stopped updating ACR to force owners to buy new versions of photoshop when the bought a new camera. Only option is to use a different company's application to open the NEF and convert it to a 16-bit TIFF file. As TIFF is open domain any application can work with this file format.

The only application that I have found to be able to work with all my old PSD format files with layers is Affinity which is what my company was forced to switch to after Adobe illegally disabled our enterprise license for CS 6 (and they did this to thousands of customers).

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,425

calson wrote:

Adobe stopped updating ACR to force owners to buy new versions of photoshop when the bought a new camera. Only option is to use a different company's application to open the NEF and convert it to a 16-bit TIFF file. As TIFF is open domain any application can work with this file format.

The only application that I have found to be able to work with all my old PSD format files with layers is Affinity which is what my company was forced to switch to after Adobe illegally disabled our enterprise license for CS 6 (and they did this to thousands of customers).

Well said. Affinity is getting more and more polished. It is a matter of using it day in and day out, once the user develops his/her way of using it it is essentially a "Photoshop in Affinity colour". Meaning it does the job like PS.

Now, I still have a working copy of PS6 and keep using it alongside with two other programs as my regular workflow.

My RAW converter is PhotoNinja from PictureCode LLC. I go back a long way with this software and it is second nature for me to process my RAW files with it. Then I am back to PS6 to open the processed TIFF files and do my trickery as I feel appropriate.

My third program is ON1 Photo RAW 2021. I started using this software several versions earlier as a PS plugin. Now it is a mature product, it could be used as a single stand alone suite. However, I prefer my present workflow as is and use ON1 as a very powerful extension of PS6.

The only trouble I foresee with my present setup is OS related. As Apple keeps bringing out new Mac OS X updates they have issues with PS6. So, I stay away from upgrading the OS beyond OS X 10.14.6. I upgraded it further once just to learn about the consequences. It took me quite a struggle to reinstate my system to good working order.

This was a bit wordy but some may find useful bits in it.

Best to all, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,595

Greetings Antal,

I am in the same position with PS6.

For raw processing I use, have always, RawPhotoProcessor and the results have been the best.

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,812

dave gaines wrote:

stretchman wrote:

I'm using Photoshop CC 2021 with my D850. I know the monthly subscription isn't appealing to everyone but it comes with a few new features that may interest you.

I want to avoid paying a monthly fee, as much as $40, on an ongoing basis. That adds up over time. Buying an upgrade every few years was less expensive and if you didn't switch cameras you could keep using it.

Actually, for just PS and LR, it's $10 a month (minimum cloud storage)

And you were

1. paying as much for an update (at $150-180 a pop) every couple of years (though at PS5, you may even have been skipping several updates), and
  2. not getting updates AT ALL until you did update. This is compared to several updates per year, every year, on the subscription model
  3. missing a butt load of advances since CSS, which was released 10 years ago in 2010. You saved a lot of money, but you also went without advanced features, functionality, and bug fixes. 

I understand your misgivings over the subscription. I avoided it for a long time. But when I actually did the math, it wasn't really more expensive.

Or you can live with CS5 another decade, but there's a chance it will just stop running on some future operating system upgrade (or are you on some ancient version of that as well?). They do not guarantee it will run forever.

Just in case it's not mentioned further down in this thread (because I won't check), you can convert your D850 NEFs to DNG with the Adobe DNG converter (free download), and that will probably load into CS5 (since that format was released in 2004).

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
dave gaines
Thanks, cloud based Photoshop for the D850

Thanks Chris,

That's a worthwhile consideration. I could do $10 per month. But if I keep using the D850 for 8 years I'll be at $960 in total subscription costs.

My computer system is fairly new. I upgraded to PS CS5 when I bought the D800E. I think the most likely failure will occur when I replace the computer some day and Adobe will no longer let me reload it from my disc. I think I need to confirm the registration on any new computer through Adobe.

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Re: Thanks, cloud based Photoshop for the D850

dave gaines wrote:

Thanks Chris,

That's a worthwhile consideration. I could do $10 per month. But if I keep using the D850 for 8 years I'll be at $960 in total subscription costs.

Photoshop CS6 (the last full version) retailed for $700 (though you could find a sale)

An upgrade was $150 (conservatively--I think was actually $180 at the end for full product upgrades).

Assuming that non-subscription products and upgrades still existed: If you bought one CS6 retail package and ungraded it every 2 years (this is the only honest way to compare to a subscription product that give you frequent updates), the cost would be $1,300 in 8 years (1 full price, 3 upgrades)

Of course, if you never upgraded, it would be a lot less. I already listed the downsides to never upgrading in my previous post.

Chris

Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
sarayfoto
sarayfoto Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Thanks, cloud based Photoshop for the D850

HI Dave,

I have D850 and am using Affinity photo, which I paid less than $50 I think.
And am using Nikon Capture NX-D and Nikon transfer occasionaly if needed.

Why not use it directly from Nikon, its free and 100% compatible.

sarayfoto's gear list:sarayfoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D850
LostLensCap Regular Member • Posts: 118

I use CS5 and it won't recognize my D850 .nef files.  I convert my .nef files to .dng with the free adobe converter.  These files contain all the uncompressed data just like raw but are a bit smaller as they don't have the imbedded .jpg preview file.  Another option is to use Nikon Capture 1 and convert them to .tif which can be vied and edited in cs5.

LostLensCap's gear list:LostLensCap's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
SG-Photography
SG-Photography Junior Member • Posts: 41

You should upgrade. The photography plan is $10 month. ACR changes frequently. Sometimes the upgrade provides more dynamic range.

if you're serious about photography, spend $10/month.

-- hide signature --
 SG-Photography's gear list:SG-Photography's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED
dave gaines
Nikon ND-X to Photoshop 5.1 for the D850

Well, after many good ideas here, I downloaded the free Nikon ND-X software for opening my D850 RAW files. It has photo editing abilities similar to Adobe Camera RAW, which I don't get to use when opening a D800 file as a TIFF in CS PS5.1 (Photoshop). When I'm done editing in ND-X I save it as a 16 bit TIFF and open it in my free standing CS PS5.1 and get all the usual PS adjustments.

ND-X will also do batch processing which may save time for converting a larger set of NEF RAW files into TIFF files, but I believe I can't do any unique editing specific to an individual photo if I batch process. Is that right?

Next I'm going to investigate Affinity Photo ($50) for one stop editing.

Why isn't anyone talking about Capture One ($300) for image editing?

I've heard that Creative Cloud Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom is now costing about $30 per month. No thanks.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and methods of use for software.

-- hide signature --

Re: Nikon ND-X to Photoshop 5.1 for the D850

Correct, you cannot do batch processing that is different for one image over another.

I keep Capture NX installed on my machine, but only goes so far, not doing layers and masks. However, you can do control point (U-point) technology. Finally, control point processing is available for the DXO NIK plugins that work with Adobe products (NIK was long ago associated more-or-less with the same software team that created Capture NX).

You are just against the Adobe subscription regardless of any attempted convincing by me or anyone else and that's fine, but please don't spread disinformation.

My quick google shows that the price is unchanged ($9.99 a month for LR and PS plus some cloud storage).

Please do your own search rather than posting hearsay. There ARE other plans, which cost more than the basic Photography Plan.

Chris

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,764
Re: Nikon ND-X to Photoshop 5.1 for the D850

There are lots of good software choices nowadays.  Capture One is one of those - I tried the free trial and I didn't get along with it.  But others do and like it.  The same can be said about all software I think.

By the way I still have PS/Lightroom Creative Cloud - I'm in the UK - £9.98 per month.  No change since I started several years ago.

I also have DXO Photolab Elite 4.  It's my main choice now for my 4 Nikon DSLRs RAW processing.  For me it gives outstanding results and I'll be sticking with it.  The results are better than any software I've ever used and tested.

But as I say there are many good choices nowadays - the trick I guess is to find one you like using, that fits the bill on cost and gives great results.  For me the output from DXO is just better than PS/L'room CC although the output from that is still very good.  Good luck with your final choice.

dave gaines
Re: Nikon ND-X and other software

Thanks Chris,

A friend of mine who uses Lightroom and pays the $10 per month told me it was now up to $30 per month. Apparently he had his info wrong. Sill, at $10 per month that's $960 over the life of the camera if I use it for 8 years. That's a lot of dough!

Thanks for the info on processing with Capture NX and DXO NIK. I think I can do all the layers, masks, etc. in Photoshop once I use ND-X to save as a 16 bit TIFF.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines
Re: Nikon ND-X and DXO Photolab Elite 4

Thanks Twamers,

I will take a good look at DXO Photolab Elite 4. I'd prefer one program that can open the D850 NEF RAW files and edit them well, rather than saving 90 MB TIFF files in addition to the finished image. Once I get the hang of ND-X I may just delete the TIFF file when I'm done editing.

I don't know much about Capture One, but I saw the free 30 day trial. I'd need 30 days just to figure it out.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines
Affinity Photo software for D850 files

I got this message from one of our forum members. You may recognize their writing style.

"No, your Photoshop version won't open D850 files.
You could, however, use Adobe's DNG Converter on your files and use your old version of Photoshop. It adds considerably to the workflow though.

Probably the best choice for you is to purchase the low-cost Affinity Photo, which is a pretty darned good Photoshop clone."

-- hide signature --

jaymc
jaymc Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Re: Affinity Photo software for D850 files

Affinity Photo again now on sale! See here for details.

-- hide signature --

Get your Portable ID!

jaymc's gear list:jaymc's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads