Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,329
Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

What Post Processing software are you using for the D850 RAW files (NEF)?

I've been using Photoshop 5.0 with my D800E RAW files for a few years now, since the camera was released. I can't tell whether it accepts RAW files from the D850. I own the software and I'd rather keep using it instead of signing up for Adobe Cloud based photoshop and pay monthly fees forever.

Does anyone else process D850 files in Photoshop 5.0? Is Adobe Cloud the only way I can continue to use Photoshop? What other programs are people using for D850 RAW files with similar creative control to Photoshop?

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Nikon D800E Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,042
Re: Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

Loads of threads on this ps5 was the last standalone  version of the software. The threads giveyou ways round it. I didn't bother but then I still use my D800. I use NXD

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,118

dave gaines wrote:

I've been using Photoshop 5.0 with my D800E RAW files for a few years now, since the camera was released. I can't tell whether it accepts RAW files from the D850. I own the software and I'd rather keep using it instead of signing up for Adobe Cloud based photoshop and pay monthly fees forever.

Does anyone else process D850 files in Photoshop 5.0? Is Adobe Cloud the only way I can continue to use Photoshop? What other programs are people using for D850 RAW files with similar creative control to Photoshop?

I'm using Photoshop CC 2021 with my D850. I know the monthly subscription isn't appealing to everyone but it comes with a few new features that may interest you.

stretchman's gear list:stretchman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D800E
dave gaines
OP dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,329

romfordbluenose wrote:

Loads of threads on this ps5 was the last standalone version of the software. The threads giveyou ways round it. I didn't bother but then I still use my D800. I use NXD

Thanks, I found one thread so far and it had only one sketchy description from a guy who upgraded his whole computer system to handle the larger files.  It wasn't what I need to know, Can Photoshop 5.0 handle the D850 RAW files?

I'll keep searching.

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Use Adobe DNG converter, free, for D850,D500 ...NEF

The DNG converter converts to a dng containing identical raw values. I always use lossless compressed 14 bit raw. The DNG file contains some additional, irrelevant ?, exif data. The only loss on DNG is a reduced size, built in thumbnail image. The original raw file has a full size basic quality jpg file built in as as thumb. The can be extracted using dcraw -e. The OOC thumb jpg is often good enough to be used, sometimes with minor PS  tweaks. For more extensive editing with CS6, I start from DNG with PS camera raw. For the D850 and D500, I keep the NEF files archived, the dng can be produced when needed.

dave gaines
Re: Use Adobe DNG converter, free, for D850,D500 ...NEF

Very good. Thanks. I will try converting to DNG.

-- hide signature --

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,740

dave gaines wrote:

Very good. Thanks. I will try converting to DNG.

Check out this link and see if it helps.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9956874836/adobe-update-brings-nikon-d850-support-for-camera-raw-and-dng-converter

Whilst I have Photoshop CC I find that I prefer DXO Photolab 4 for my processing now.

Reggie Stration
Reggie Stration Contributing Member • Posts: 594

romfordbluenose wrote:

Loads of threads on this ps5 was the last standalone version of the software. The threads giveyou ways round it. I didn't bother but then I still use my D800. I use NXD

Actually CS6 was the last stand alone version. That's what I'm using. I also use NXD to process the D850 raw files then save as a 16 bit tiff which can then be further edited in the Photoshop version of your choice (or other software).

dave gaines

I accidentally saved TIFF half of my files on a trip to Joshua Tree National Park a week ago. They don't open in Camera Raw but they do open in Photoshop where I can do the same adjustments. So I can see how your method of saving TIFF files would work. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

jaymc
jaymc Senior Member • Posts: 1,008

Using Affinity Photo for my D850 and love it. Dropped Photoshop after CS6.

-- hide signature --

Get your Portable ID!

jaymc's gear list:jaymc's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Reggie Stration
Reggie Stration Contributing Member • Posts: 594

dave gaines wrote:

I accidentally saved TIFF half of my files on a trip to Joshua Tree National Park a week ago. They don't open in Camera Raw but they do open in Photoshop where I can do the same adjustments. So I can see how your method of saving TIFF files would work. Thanks.

Are you saying that you saved your image files directly as tiffs from your camera? Though an option, I wouldn’t recommend that as the files are massive and you miss out on the advantages of having an intermediary raw file where you can adjust white balance, exposure, lens distortion corrections, etc before outputting to a tiff.

Capture NXD is a free download from Nikon and does the best raw conversions of your D850 nefs. Once you’ve done all your initial processing of your raw file there, then output to a 16 (14) bit tiff to carry on in Photoshop for more extensive editing if required.

Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,361

dave gaines wrote:

I use PhotoNinja as my standard RAW converter. Great program, not hard to get comfortable with it. Below is the download link. You can get a 14 day trial license for no cost. I have other converters too but prefer PhotoNinja.

https://picturecode.com/download.php

Once you saved the processed RAW image in TIFF you can use your PS 5 as long as your operating software is compatible with it.

I have PS 6 Extended but screwed things up when I upgraded my Mac OS X . Now I am subscribing for the least expensive PS so that I can use it on my Mac.

I still have a Power Mac on which I can use the whole CS6 Extended Suite. However, that machine feels a bit slow now for editing large numbers of images, especially from the D850.

Best regards, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
dave gaines

Thanks Reggie,

I accidentally hit the Quality button on the top left and turned the dial, trying to adjust ISO. I didn't see I was shooting in TIFF files. I didn't get a file that would open in Camera RAW where I like to adjust exposure, WB, blacks and add saturation when needed. I had to do all that in PS.

The Nikon NXD sounds great, like it could replace Camera Raw.

-- hide signature --

hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,539

Simple answer is, no.

The Nikon D850 requires LR 6.13 / CC 2015.13 or later

Hope that helps.

Cheers

dave gaines wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

Thanks, I found one thread so far and it had only one sketchy description from a guy who upgraded his whole computer system to handle the larger files. It wasn't what I need to know, Can Photoshop 5.0 handle the D850 RAW files?

I'll keep searching.

dave gaines

stretchman wrote:

I'm using Photoshop CC 2021 with my D850. I know the monthly subscription isn't appealing to everyone but it comes with a few new features that may interest you.

I want to avoid paying a monthly fee, as much as $40, on an ongoing basis. That adds up over time. Buying an upgrade every few years was less expensive and if you didn't switch cameras you could keep using it.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines

Bernard Delley wrote:

The DNG converter converts to a dng containing identical raw values. I always use lossless compressed 14 bit raw. The DNG file contains some additional, irrelevant ?, exif data. The only loss on DNG is a reduced size, built in thumbnail image. The original raw file has a full size basic quality jpg file built in as as thumb. The can be extracted using dcraw -e. The OOC thumb jpg is often good enough to be used, sometimes with minor PS tweaks. For more extensive editing with CS6, I start from DNG with PS camera raw. For the D850 and D500, I keep the NEF files archived, the dng can be produced when needed.

Thanks Bernard,

I've heard about the DNG file format. I heard it creates a lot of large files, maybe double the number, that fills up your remote HD.

I don't know what dcraw - e is. I don't save jpg files of my shots. I always use the RAW files for processing and then save them as a jpg for most uses. Yes, save the RAW files and don't change them.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines

hypercore360 wrote:

Simple answer is, no.

The Nikon D850 requires LR 6.13 / CC 2015.13 or later

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the bottom line.

I have LR 5.0 I believe. I mostly use PS 5.0. I'll check the versions.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines

twamers wrote:

Check out this link and see if it helps.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9956874836/adobe-update-brings-nikon-d850-support-for-camera-raw-and-dng-converter

Whilst I have Photoshop CC I find that I prefer DXO Photolab 4 for my processing now.

Thanks. I think that could work for me. I'll look at DXO Photolab 4.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines

jaymc wrote:

Using Affinity Photo for my D850 and love it. Dropped Photoshop after CS6.

Thanks Jay,

I'll look at that.

-- hide signature --

dave gaines

Antal I Kozma wrote:

I use PhotoNinja as my standard RAW converter. Great program, not hard to get comfortable with it. Below is the download link. You can get a 14 day trial license for no cost. I have other converters too but prefer PhotoNinja.

https://picturecode.com/download.php

Once you saved the processed RAW image in TIFF you can use your PS 5 as long as your operating software is compatible with it.

I have PS 6 Extended but screwed things up when I upgraded my Mac OS X . Now I am subscribing for the least expensive PS so that I can use it on my Mac.

I still have a Power Mac on which I can use the whole CS6 Extended Suite. However, that machine feels a bit slow now for editing large numbers of images, especially from the D850.

Best regards, AIK

Thanks Antal,

I'm going to look at PhotoNinja and try the free trial. my PS 5 should handle the larger TIFF files. It is working for my D800e files now.

I'm a Microsoft PC user. As an engineer we use that almost exclusively.

Sorry you lost your CS6 when you upgraded the computer. With a PC I would just upgrade the RAM and the HD capacity. Those two things make a computer run faster. Maybe you an do that with your Power Mac?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads