Are we not expecting a Black Friday sale for EF lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
wzhang
wzhang Regular Member • Posts: 310
Are we not expecting a Black Friday sale for EF lenses?

Just saw the sale for RF bodies and lenses.  I'm guess we won't see something similar for the EF counterparts?  I was hoping that some of the good EF primes (e.g. 300mm f/2.8) would become more affordable.

When do you think such discounts would happen?

-- hide signature --

A scientist with an art-loving heart.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153974059@N02/

wzhang's gear list:wzhang's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Senior Member • Posts: 3,229
Re: Are we not expecting a Black Friday sale for EF lenses?

wzhang wrote:

Just saw the sale for RF bodies and lenses. I'm guess we won't see something similar for the EF counterparts? I was hoping that some of the good EF primes (e.g. 300mm f/2.8) would become more affordable.

When do you think such discounts would happen?

... just checked B&H - a few 3% - 10 % deals but no price movement onold faves

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/SLR-Camera-Lenses/ci/274/N/4288584247?filters=fct_brand_name%3Acanon%2Cfct_lens-format-coverage_3332%3Afull-frame-lenses

- Tilt shifts, 100 - 400 II and 70 - 200 F$ IS for example - no break even on the original 24 - 105 IS.

Canada's Canon estore is worse - zippo, nyet, non, kaput for any lens deals - same as last year.

https://estore.canon.ca/en-CA/catalog/lenses-flashes

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, Rodger
Save Lives - Be an Organ or Stem Cell Donor.
Quaecumque vera

cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,373

I don’t think we will see much except for stuff they can’t get rid of. You might see $100 off on some higher demand/desired lenses.

mstMuc
mstMuc Junior Member • Posts: 44

You can expect massive discounts when their rf counterparts are available, the ef lenses are out of production and then they keep being on stock for several years

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,707

mstMuc wrote:

You can expect massive discounts when their rf counterparts are available, the ef lenses are out of production and then they keep being on stock for several years

Where did that come from? I know Canon said a couple of years ago that they were concentrating on RF mount, but I don't remember any announcement that they were stopping making EF mount. No massive price drops yet on EF lenses where RF versions are available either.  I can't think of anybody who stocks stuff with electronics inside for years.

Right now, Canon are offering £125 cashback on the RF 15-35mm and EF 16-35mm f/2.8 lenses, £200 on the RF 85mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF 85mm f/1.2, but £90 on the EF 85mm f/1.4), £180 on the RF 50mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF equivalent), £125 on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8, and £150 each on the EF 24mm and 35mm f/1.4s.  Don't hold your breath for a massive EF lens clear out.

Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Senior Member • Posts: 3,229

Sittatunga wrote:

mstMuc wrote:

Where did that come from? I know Canon said a couple of years ago that they were concentrating on RF mount, but I don't remember any announcement that they were stopping making EF mount. No massive price drops yet on EF lenses where RF versions are available either. I can't think of anybody who stocks stuff with electronics inside for years.

Right now, Canon are offering £125 cashback on the RF 15-35mm and EF 16-35mm f/2.8 lenses, £200 on the RF 85mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF 85mm f/1.2, but £90 on the EF 85mm f/1.4), £180 on the RF 50mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF equivalent), £125 on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8, and £150 each on the EF 24mm and 35mm f/1.4s. Don't hold your breath for a massive EF lens clear out.

They want to cattle chute everyone into the RF corral asap.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, Rodger
Save Lives - Be an Organ or Stem Cell Donor.
Quaecumque vera

wzhang
OP wzhang Regular Member • Posts: 310

Rather disappointing, isn't it?  I guess they know their good EF products are indeed good and can still sell without discounted prices.  I'm eyeing their super telephoto primes.

-- hide signature --

A scientist with an art-loving heart.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153974059@N02/

wzhang's gear list:wzhang's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +2 more
TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 373

I've been hoping for a discount on the 100-400L II.  I rented the lens back in August for my annual Yellowstone trip and absolutely fell in love with it.  My CFO (wife) gave me the go-ahead to get the lens, but was hoping for some Black Friday deals as well.

I was considering getting the Tamron 150-600 G2 as it's on sale, along with either a Canon 70-200 f4 IS II or the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2, but I really love the Canon.  We'll see...

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,283

mstMuc wrote:

While Canon will (¿may?) not be DESIGNING new EF lenses, there are still years of manufacture of EF lenses yet to take place.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Maverick07 Regular Member • Posts: 247

Was hoping for the same. Would have liked to purchase a news lens. Will have to be content on what I have until Canon remembers their customers. Will invest in software this year and wait it out.

1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,412

Rodger in Edmonton wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

mstMuc wrote:

Where did that come from? I know Canon said a couple of years ago that they were concentrating on RF mount, but I don't remember any announcement that they were stopping making EF mount. No massive price drops yet on EF lenses where RF versions are available either. I can't think of anybody who stocks stuff with electronics inside for years.

Right now, Canon are offering £125 cashback on the RF 15-35mm and EF 16-35mm f/2.8 lenses, £200 on the RF 85mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF 85mm f/1.2, but £90 on the EF 85mm f/1.4), £180 on the RF 50mm f/1.2 (nothing on the EF equivalent), £125 on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8, and £150 each on the EF 24mm and 35mm f/1.4s. Don't hold your breath for a massive EF lens clear out.

good, now we can get those excellent EF "L" lenses at bargain prices

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

1Dx4me wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

mstMuc wrote:

You reckon?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,583

1Dx4me wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

mstMuc wrote:

Not holding my breath, but wouldn't complain.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +10 more
Dave

wzhang wrote:

Rather disappointing, isn't it? I guess they know their good EF products are indeed good and can still sell without discounted prices. I'm eyeing their super telephoto primes.

Me, too.  I'm probably holding out for unreasonably good deals, though.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +10 more
Dave

Maverick07 wrote:

Was hoping for the same. Would have liked to purchase a news lens. Will have to be content on what I have until Canon remembers their customers. Will invest in software this year and wait it out.

Are you saying Canon needs to come out with new lenses or needs to offer better deals on existing lenses?

Yeah, I am not chomping on the bit. Let the next gen run with the RF stuff.

gaul Senior Member • Posts: 1,122
Price of EF lenses is actually higher than before the R5/R6 launch..

Canon has been very clear that 100% of R&D would go to the new RF mount

Clearly, it must show in the production lines at Canon

Clearly, it shows in retailer's pricing as if they were showing to us they make us a favour of stocking "old lenses"

Re: Price of EF lenses is actually higher than before the R5/R6 launch..

gaul wrote:

I think they added something like "for the time being".

How?  You don't need R&D to keep a production line going, just to set up a new one.

Clearly, it shows in retailer's pricing as if they were showing to us they make us a favour of stocking "old lenses"

The retailer's expenses will have increased substantially because of the expense of reorganising to maintain social distancing, extra sanitising, providing face masks and gloves, complying with national lockdowns for COVID 19, reduced availablity of stock, expanding their internet sales capacity etc.  They aren't out to get you, they're much more worried about their own survival.

Dave
Re: Price of EF lenses is actually higher than before the R5/R6 launch..

Sittatunga wrote:

gaul wrote:

I think they added something like "for the time being".

How? You don't need R&D to keep a production line going, just to set up a new one.

The retailer's expenses will have increased substantially because of the expense of reorganising to maintain social distancing, extra sanitising, providing face masks and gloves, complying with national lockdowns for COVID 19, reduced availablity of stock, expanding their internet sales capacity etc. They aren't out to get you, they're much more worried about their own survival.

Also possible supply chain interruptions.

As with any product a vendor wants to make a profit. A typical consumer is looking for price, performance, need. Paying >$2k for a lens is off the charts for me. However if one specializes in one area this may work for them.  However the typical shooter would be better off leasing the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads