Sony A7 III, or Sony A6600 for first Sony (for action/sport)?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 387
Sony A7 III, or Sony A6600 for first Sony (for action/sport)?

Hi,

I am shooting Fuji (X-T3 firmware V4.00) and Nikon D500, mostly for what I would consider "action/sport" type shooting (stills only), but am curious about Sony.

At the same time, I am also kind of curious about Full frame.

So I am thinking of getting either an A6600 or an A7 III (I would like an A7R III for the more pixels, but seems that the A7 III is better for action/sport, so limiting this question to A6600 vs A7 III).

I am not interested in renting, so this is for a purchase for a new one.

Thoughts/recommendations about which one to get??

Thanks,

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EOS 90D
Nikon D500 Sony a7 Sony a7 III Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,298
Re: Sony A7 III, or Sony A6600 for first Sony (for action/sport)?

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

I am shooting Fuji (X-T3 firmware V4.00) and Nikon D500, mostly for what I would consider "action/sport" type shooting (stills only), but am curious about Sony.

So I am thinking of getting either an A6600 or an A7 III (I would like an A7R III for the more pixels, but seems that the A7 III is better for action/sport, so limiting this question to A6600 vs A7 III).

Thanks,

Jim

I would go for the A7III.  You give up the amazing new Sony AF but get access to a much better affordable lens lineup, higher image quality, better controls, less rolling shutter, a faster card slot, etc.  The A6600 was a weak refresh of an out-of-date lineup.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

What exactly are you shooting?  The A6600, A7RIV and A9ii are supposed to have the best focus tracking but sometimes I think people make too much out of its importance.

Where are your current cameras falling short?  If you are getting good shots with your current gear but want to try full frame I think the A7iii should do even better than what you have now.  If a lot of your current shots are out of focus because the focus system on your current gear can't keep up that might push you towards one of the newer cameras with a better, faster focus system.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +11 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,298

I mean, I've used 2019-era Sony focusing (A6400) and 2017/2018-era Sony focusing (A7RIII/RX100VI).

The new focus system is much easier to use, more accurate, and basically takes away any sort of concern around focus points/modes.  But personally I find the A7RIII "good enough" for my purposes, with benefits to offset the older AF system.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
Raymond L
Raymond L Regular Member • Posts: 264

Understand you have stated you are not interesting in renting.

My suggestion is for you to go to a camera store and try to get your hands to see how it “feels”.

what kind of focal length were you thinking of ?

I also have fujifilm & Nikon... when you look at the lenses available for Sony.. it’s just amazing how much choice there is from different manufacturers 😀

Raymond L's gear list:Raymond L's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Leica M9 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II +24 more
Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 577

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Jim

Have you looked up A7c, which has slightly more AF functions than A7 III but smaller EVF

cyberpi1 Regular Member • Posts: 463

Check cameras with real time tracking AF: A6400, A7C or A7R4.

-- hide signature --
 cyberpi1's gear list:cyberpi1's gear list
NEX-5T Pentax 645Z Sony a7R IV Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +4 more
voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,992

In poor lighting conditions any A6xxx camera quickly reaches its limit, while shooting sports and action at fast shutter. The sensor sensitivity is simply not enough, unless having some crazy fast lens.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +7 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

I've had the A7III now for 2.5 years and love it. The AF is wonderful for wildlife, though not anywhere near the A9/A9II or A7RIV. But still good enough that you will get keepers with enough practice. And the A7III is on sale for $300. off now.

Ziutek-Auto-Photos Forum Member • Posts: 65

cyberpi1 wrote:

Why only A6400? I thought all three (A6100/ A6400/ A6600) have the same AF system.

Z.

Ziutek-Auto-Photos's gear list:Ziutek-Auto-Photos's gear list
Sony a7 II +1 more
cyberpi1 Regular Member • Posts: 463

Ziutek-Auto-Photos wrote:

cyberpi1 wrote:

Why only A6400? I thought all three (A6100/ A6400/ A6600) have the same AF system.

Z.

My bad, you're right

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6975583891/sony-a6000-a6100-a6300-a6400-a6500-a6600-what-s-the-difference-and-which-should-i-buy?slide=3

-- hide signature --
 cyberpi1's gear list:cyberpi1's gear list
NEX-5T Pentax 645Z Sony a7R IV Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +4 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,233

voronspb wrote:

In poor lighting conditions any A6xxx camera quickly reaches its limit, while shooting sports and action at fast shutter.

Not in most cases - actually most camera users do look at the final images on screen or print pretty small, like 20x30 inches and smaller. If so an A6xxx camera can do pretty well.

The sensor sensitivity is simply not enough, unless having some crazy fast lens.

Image sensors have pretty much similar sensitivity. The total area vary between formats.

That crazy fast lens need to be about one stop faster. That is a crazy large number.

Do use FF and APS-C. When compact and handy is wanted give me APS-C any day. There is more to the better camera than noise only. At times small and handy win, other times larger and more bulk win.

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 4,599

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

the a7iii does not have real-time tracking, which can be very helpful for some sports... but it does have a bigger oled panel in the evf.

since you are coming from a d500 tho, and you want to shoot action, i'd suggest an a9... but it really depends on what sports you are shooting.

ohaya
OP ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 387

MILC man wrote:

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

the a7iii does not have real-time tracking, which can be very helpful for some sports... but it does have a bigger oled panel in the evf.

since you are coming from a d500 tho, and you want to shoot action, i'd suggest an a9... but it really depends on what sports you are shooting.

Hi,

Would love to consider an A9, but that is kind of out of the price range that I am interested in.

Re. tracking, yes I did note that that wasn't in the A7 III, but for the shooting I've been doing, I generally try to follow the main subject, either using single point or (in case of D500) group mode, continuous auto-focus, so I don't know how important tracking would be???

ohaya

Hi,

Some have asked, which sports?  I guess that I was being a little vague, because I've had some comments before (on other threads) that what I shoot is either not "sport" or "action"...

But, basically, I have mostly been shooting either surfing (from land, not from in the water) or aviation/planes.

I would LOVE to be able to do BIF, but not many birds around here (esp. now), plus the times that I did try, I felt that it is really hard!!

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

Some have asked, which sports? I guess that I was being a little vague, because I've had some comments before (on other threads) that what I shoot is either not "sport" or "action"...

But, basically, I have mostly been shooting either surfing (from land, not from in the water) or aviation/planes.

I would LOVE to be able to do BIF, but not many birds around here (esp. now), plus the times that I did try, I felt that it is really hard!!

I have just never felt like I needed a picture of a flying bird that I could not find a hundred suitable examples of on the internet. (But that is just me!)

I know nothing about photographing surfing.  I know they move fast but do you use a very shallow depth of field where having the focus spot on is critical?  Or do you use a smaller aperture for a greater depth of field to get the wave and surroundings as part of the photo instead of isolating the subject against a blurred background?

Did anyone take pictures of surfers before Sony came out with their latest focus tracking system?   I can see how technology could make the process easier and result in more keepers but I don't believe it is a requirement to get good photos.  You may find that by relying less on technology that you will fine tune your own skills to a higher degree and be less reliant on the technology as a crutch?

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +11 more
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 2,366

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

Some have asked, which sports? I guess that I was being a little vague, because I've had some comments before (on other threads) that what I shoot is either not "sport" or "action"...

Surfing and planes will often be in very good light, so the benefits of the FF sensor are reduced.  Coming from APS-C you may miss the extra 'reach', and you will need a much more expensive lens to get the same framing.

The a6600 and the new Sigma 100-400 would be a nice option for good light.

For low-light sports at a distance there is no good affordable option, and never will be.

If you really want a 'budget' option for low light surfing, I would be tempted to simply go manual focus with an adapted Canon FD 300 f/2.8, accept you will miss focus on a LOT of shots but with practice be able to get a few keepers.  It weighs 2.35 kg, however.

-- hide signature --

Sharpness scores and other stats for many FE lenses here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4442319
Fairly amateur photography here:
https://www.facebook.com/John-Clark-Photography-1035965476487072/

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 4,599

i shoot surfing, with an a9/200-600, using sony real-time tracking, it works really well.

surfing is now part of the olympic games... as an action sport, it's just as valid as football or basketball.

you'll want the longest possible focal length to shoot it, a ff 600mm equivalent at the minimum, or even 800mm equivalent in some situations.

ohaya

Hi All,

Happy New Year :)!

FYI, here is where I ended up (or didn't end up) with this subject...  I decided to wait for now.

The main reason is that I've seen some rumors about possible A7 iv, with possibly a different sensor and supposed price of $2499 and want to wait and see how that turns out (and also compare to the latest A6xxx at that point).

Thanks,

Jim

adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,312

ohaya wrote:

MILC man wrote:

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

Would love to consider an A9, but that is kind of out of the price range that I am interested in.

Re. tracking, yes I did note that that wasn't in the A7 III, but for the shooting I've been doing, I generally try to follow the main subject, either using single point or (in case of D500) group mode, continuous auto-focus, so I don't know how important tracking would be???

I just got the a6600. Tracking is fun when coming from d7200/d500. The Nikons are quite good but more fun/efficient with the Sony. The focus modes simply work. Sony tracking vs Nikon 3d/group etc is something quite else.

a6600 has good battery. Not as good as Nikon SLR but quite good. I can now handle the Sony with gloves and the Nikons feel clumsy when I take them up. If you have big hands the Sony may be too small.

Sony menu... When I had sorted the buttons, dials and fn I don't see the menu anymore

The Sony APSC can use the same lenses as FF cameras (just like Nikon APSC), so a nice variety of lenses

I have no regrets. Only area where the Nikons are better IMO is battery life but not a dealbreaker with the a6600. I see many talking the a6600 down because it wasn't a big enough improvement from earlier a6xxx. I have no history with earlier a6xxx so I don't care about that

But the A7iv may be worth the wait

adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a6600 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads