GH5 Scratched Sensor?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
GH5 Scratched Sensor?
1

Hello DPReview users,

I have a GH5 that I bought on eBay and recently discovered that the seller forgot to mention that when shooting above f/5 there are two big marks visible on the sensor.

So I bought a sensor cleaning kit on Amazon and tried carefully to clean the sensor myself, with no luck. Then I decided to take my camera to a professional camera shop in my city. They said they would certainly be able to clean this dirt off the sensor and charged me 29EUR for a 7 day wait. But when I went back to collect my camera today they told me that the sensor is actually scratched and there is no way to repair it.

I accepted this and walked away feeling disappointed. But the more I think about it the more I think it cant be the sensor which is scratched because when I look closely at some shots I can see the dirt/scratches move around when the camera is moving a lot.

Here is a cropped view of one of the the marks (no post effects or stabilisation is applied to this video, just a crop). Surely this means that the scratch/dirt must be on some piece of glass not touching the sensor since presumably this wobble is coming from the IBIS?

To make matters more confusing: on some shots with slightly less erratic camera movement (but still a lot of hand held camera wobble) the mark does no move at all, this is with IBIS enabled still:

Really struggling to understand exactly what is going on here and how much it will cost to repair since if a professional camera repair shop cant do it, then who can? and for how much money?

Kind regards,

Felix

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
4

Looks more like apiece of lint or hair, like an eye lash, than a scratch. Get out a good  magnifying glass to get a direct look

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
OP felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

I dont have a magnifying glass, but i can certainly see something on there when i look really closely in the right light. impossible to tell if its on the glass thats covering the sensor (low pass filter?!?) does GH5 have anything protecting the sensor from being directly scratched? Its hard to find any diagrams or specific information about the GH5 sensor housing and what its constructed of.

JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
2

All sensors have a cover glass epoxied in place.

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
Phocal
Phocal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,231
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
1

felixgeen wrote:

Hello DPReview users,

I have a GH5 that I bought on eBay and recently discovered that the seller forgot to mention that when shooting above f/5 there are two big marks visible on the sensor.

So I bought a sensor cleaning kit on Amazon and tried carefully to clean the sensor myself, with no luck. Then I decided to take my camera to a professional camera shop in my city. They said they would certainly be able to clean this dirt off the sensor and charged me 29EUR for a 7 day wait. But when I went back to collect my camera today they told me that the sensor is actually scratched and there is no way to repair it.

I accepted this and walked away feeling disappointed. But the more I think about it the more I think it cant be the sensor which is scratched because when I look closely at some shots I can see the dirt/scratches move around when the camera is moving a lot.

Here is a cropped view of one of the the marks (no post effects or stabilisation is applied to this video, just a crop). Surely this means that the scratch/dirt must be on some piece of glass not touching the sensor since presumably this wobble is coming from the IBIS?

To make matters more confusing: on some shots with slightly less erratic camera movement (but still a lot of hand held camera wobble) the mark does no move at all, this is with IBIS enabled still:

Really struggling to understand exactly what is going on here and how much it will cost to repair since if a professional camera repair shop cant do it, then who can?

I would find a different shop

and for how much money?

Kind regards,

Felix

 Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

felixgeen wrote:

I dont have a magnifying glass, but i can certainly see something on there when i look really closely in the right light. impossible to tell if its on the glass thats covering the sensor (low pass filter?!?)

GH5 belonging to the generation of Panny camera having the AA filter removed. There should only be the SSWF (SuperSonic Wave Filter stacked on top of the sensor for dust prevention and removal (upon power on of the camera or activate it through Menu option).

does GH5 have anything protecting the sensor from being directly scratched?

AFAIK the SSWF only... falling/dispose of foreign particles on the sensor should not scratch the sensor. And in reality it shouldn't have a chance to cause direct damage to the sensor (save for a few reports that dust did find a way getting in between the SSWF & sensor, likely out of factory QC issue)... Unless we intentionally touch the sensor, so far can't imagine how the sensor could be scratched.

Its hard to find any diagrams or specific information about the GH5 sensor housing and what its constructed of.

I don't have the Service manual of GH5. But as per that of GX85, the following should be the best I could find on the sensor unit, which is a 5-axis floating sensor similar to the one used by GH5:

Since GH5 should has a Sony 20Mp sensor, you might try to google it for further info.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

 alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
OP felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
1

Thanks for these helpful replies guys.

I got in touch with the shop again and told them that I suspected it was dirt and not a scratch on the sensor and they've offered to have another look at it with their in-house sensor cleaning employee, rather than the person they sent it away for 7 days to who I guess was out-sourced. And they've offered to take another look for free which is great too. So ill take it in tomorrow and report back what ever I find.

I think this is quite a good and well-respected camera repair shop so i don't think they're intentionally messing me around, i reckon its just the person they out-sourced it do wrote "scratched sensor" and they took his word for it.

Fingers crossed they can fix this. It would be soooo nice to be able to take dirt free images and video again

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

felixgeen wrote:

Thanks for these helpful replies guys.

I got in touch with the shop again and told them that I suspected it was dirt and not a scratch on the sensor and they've offered to have another look at it with their in-house sensor cleaning employee, rather than the person they sent it away for 7 days to who I guess was out-sourced. And they've offered to take another look for free which is great too. So ill take it in tomorrow and report back what ever I find.

I think this is quite a good and well-respected camera repair shop so i don't think they're intentionally messing me around, i reckon its just the person they out-sourced it do wrote "scratched sensor" and they took his word for it.

Fingers crossed they can fix this. It would be soooo nice to be able to take dirt free images and video again

Wishing they could sort it out for you.

I could be wrong but to my feeling, Panny might have different policy than other brands. It seems that in some regions Panny might not wish to supply parts to non related shops and so, Panny cameras might not be easy to repair by any shops on high street...

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

 alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

felixgeen wrote:

Thanks for these helpful replies guys.

I got in touch with the shop again and told them that I suspected it was dirt and not a scratch on the sensor and they've offered to have another look at it with their in-house sensor cleaning employee, rather than the person they sent it away for 7 days to who I guess was out-sourced. And they've offered to take another look for free which is great too. So ill take it in tomorrow and report back what ever I find.

I think this is quite a good and well-respected camera repair shop so i don't think they're intentionally messing me around, i reckon its just the person they out-sourced it do wrote "scratched sensor" and they took his word for it.

Fingers crossed they can fix this. It would be soooo nice to be able to take dirt free images and video again

Hope it works out. Keep us posted. You might want to invest in a rocket blower. One burst of air would let you know if the artifact moves. If it moves, it is not a scratch.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

 Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,576
For the curious ones...
6

Here is a photo I just took of the IR filter removed from my old epm1 converted to full spectrum. Look how thick this piece of glass is. Note that I had to replace this glass with a clear glass in order to get infinity focus. So basically all micro43 cameras have such a thick piece of glass in front of the sensor. Since I discovered this, I am much more confident when cleaning my sensors 😀

 photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Vale46
Vale46 Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: For the curious ones...
1

That the scratch seems to move could also be because of the working IBIS, couldn't it?

Did you try to turn IBS off and check if the scratch still moves around?

 Vale46's gear list:Vale46's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
OP felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

Update: The shop tried again to fix it but now they tell me the dirt is behind the glass that is covering the sensor. so somewhere between the sensor and the protective glass.

I guess I need to get this repaired, or try and do it myself. Could anyone give me some clues as to how to dismantle the GH5 and clean behind this piece of glass? Its really hard to find any information on this since google is just full of the same tutorial for cleaning the front side of the sensor glass.

OP felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
Re: For the curious ones...

Vale46 wrote:

That the scratch seems to move could also be because of the working IBIS, couldn't it?

Did you try to turn IBS off and check if the scratch still moves around?

Yeah it actually behaves very strangely. I only see the dirt moving sometimes and only with specific lens and IBIS settings. It only moves when I shoot with my old Fujinon-TV lens with IBIS turned on. It doesn't move with my other OIS lenses with any combination of IBIS settings turned on/off.

jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,712
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
2

If I recall, the only solution to this is sensor/stack replacement, at least it was in the GM5 and other models that have had this issue.

I think you need to return it, if you still can, as that's not an inexpensive repair.

-J

kalisti
kalisti Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?
2

felixgeen wrote:

Could anyone give me some clues as to how to dismantle the GH5 and clean behind this piece of glass? Its really hard to find any information on this since google is just full of the same tutorial for cleaning the front side of the sensor glass.

honestly get a pro to do it, unless you want more headache and cost.

 kalisti's gear list:kalisti's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 II ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads