Beginner M-series Advice

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Nickay New Member • Posts: 1
Beginner M-series Advice

Hi!

I just bought the M50 and I like it lot! I only got the kit lens with it.

However, I have this deal to buy the EF-M 55-200m lens for $200. Do you think it's worth it? At first, I wasn't even going to buy any further EF-M lenses because the system seems so up in the air - depending who you ask. I was thinking I would probably just invest in a pancake lens and then EF lenses here on out.

What are you thoughts? I'm new to photography so I don't know how useful the 55-200m lens would be? But I am also feeling a little bit of FOMO because what if I find myself in a situation where that is a really useful lens? Like - maybe post quarantine while I'm traveling?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,196
Re: Beginner M-series Advice

Nickay wrote:

Hi!

However, I have this deal to buy the EF-M 55-200m lens for $200. Do you think it's worth it? At first, I wasn't even going to buy any further EF-M lenses because the system seems so up in the air - depending who you ask. I was thinking I would probably just invest in a pancake lens and then EF lenses here on out.

What are you thoughts? I'm new to photography so I don't know how useful the 55-200m lens would be? But I am also feeling a little bit of FOMO because what if I find myself in a situation where that is a really useful lens? Like - maybe post quarantine while I'm traveling?

Welcome to the forum.

This would probably be better in the M forum as this lens forum seems to be mostly about EF and EF-S lenses with a bit of traffic around EF-M and now RF.

I would suggest the first ting to do is to thoroughly test your EF-M 15-45mm because it is almost certainly the worst and most (copy to copy) variable lens currently made by Canon. The chances of getting a poor one is pretty good. Many are decentred or just plain soft.

Based on the result of the tests above, you can then consider whether you are going to keep it or dump it and get something else. Generally both the 18-55mm (now discontinued) and the 18-150mm are better lenses in this focal length range.

It also depends on what you shoot. If you are specifically looking for a native EF-M Canon mount lens with some reach, then your choices are really the 18-150mm or the 55-200mm, with the former obviously having a more versatile range. If you are just looking for one or more lenses to cover a wider range than 15-150mm, perhaps consider the 18-150mm as a single lens (for now) solution ?

Another option might be an adapted EF-S 55-250mm, but obviously bigger.

IMO 200mm is not really long enough to be a useful telephoto, but it is obviously better than 45mm.

The 11-22mm is probably the best EF-M zoom available if you want something wider. The advantage of 11-22mm + 18-150mm is that they are the only EF-M lenses to share a 55mm filter thread, so good if you want CPL or ND filters.

A good cheap and compact fast prime is the 22mm. It is so small and cheap (and produces good images) that most M users end up with one.

My M5 system is really my backup and compact carry system since I generally use my FF 6D ii and L series lenses, but I have 11-22mm (with hood), 18-150mm (with hood) & 22mm with a 270 EX ii flash, CPL filter, ND filter, Manfrotto compact tripod and obviously spare batteries, LensPen etc. That all fits nicely in a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 25i bag that is about the same size as my 6d ii with EF 24-105L ii fitted. I have found that this M kit can cover most things except wildlife, sports, birds etc, but it wasn't bought for that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
mstMuc
mstMuc Junior Member • Posts: 44

Andy01 wrote:

IMO 200mm is not really long enough to be a useful telephoto, but it is obviously better than 45mm.

that‘s nonsense. 200mm on a M camera is comparable to 300mm on Fullframe so this lens provides a little bit more range of the best selled 70-200 telephoto lenses for Full Frame.
If you want more focal length you have to pay a lot of more money and can’t expect the lens to be compact.

Usually you don’t want a tiny camera when carrying a heavy and big telephoto lens ...

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,196

mstMuc wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

that‘s nonsense. 200mm on a M camera is comparable to 300mm on Fullframe so this lens provides a little bit more range of the best selled 70-200 telephoto lenses for Full Frame.

Um, not really nonsense at all. A 70-200mm zoom on FF (or even APS-C) is often used as a general purpose lens with a "bit" of reach, often for things like portraits or indoor events (especially the f2.8 versions). A very common use is weddings.

As I said, it depends entirely on what the OP wants to do with it. If he is thinking that it may allow typical telephoto shots like wildlife, birds or open field sports, then there is likely to be some disappointment. For these tasks the 300mm (or 320mm if you shoot Canon, not Nikon or Sony) FF equivalent FoV is pretty inadequate too.

I moved to FF a couple of years ago, and even 400mm (EF 100-400L ii) is somewhat inadequate - especially after the same lens on APS-C (70D) gave me an effective 640mm FoV.

I stand by my comment - the 55-200mm is a useful focal length lens but not really a proper telephoto zoom. There have been many threads over the years in the M forum asking about 55-200mm vs 18-150mm, and often the 18-150mm is preferred because it is closer to a one lens solution, and the extra 50mm provided by the 55-200mm is not a lot.

If you want more focal length you have to pay a lot of more money and can’t expect the lens to be compact.

That seems fairly obvious, although I think that there is a 3rd party EF-M mount 100-400mm that are a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Canon L series, and the 55-250mm and EF 70-300mm are neither terribly costly or huge.

Usually you don’t want a tiny camera when carrying a heavy and big telephoto lens ...

I agree with you 100%, but plenty of people in the M forum use their M bodies (smaller bodies than M50) with large lenses like 100-400L ii, even with teleconvertors fitted. This is especially true since the M6 ii seems to be quite capable at even tracking birds, so people are using it as a BIF camera (with an appropriate BIF lens attached).

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
joseph07081 Junior Member • Posts: 36

Nickay wrote:

Hi!

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good advice (along with a wide variety or opinions) here, but I consider it a valuable resource.

I recently purchased an M6ii as my introduction to mirrorless cameras. I already have several full frame bodies and some really nice L series lenses. My thought was to try out the M6 using my existing lenses with an adapter as an inexpensive way to dip my toe into the water. Once I received my M6ii kit, I was amazed how small and light the camera was, and how many features were packed into that small package. So contrary to my original intentions, I started purchasing other EF-M lenses to complement the camera. Along with the included 15-45 (which is not too bad), I now have the 11-22 zoom, a 22mm pancake, and a 55-200 zoom that I purchased refurbished from Canon. I am impressed with the image quality on each of these lenses and I am very happy to have them. Instead of having a camera to test the mirrorless waters, I now have a full system that I am keeping as a travel kit or something when I want to travel light locally.

To answer your question about the 55-200. I am very happy with my copy. It is small, light and fits the ergonomics of the camera very well. The image quality is very good and it serves my intended needs very well. For the price of the lens you are considering, I do not think you would lose very much if you decided it did not work for you and resold it.

joseph07081's gear list:joseph07081's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads