Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Started 5 months ago | Questions
OP Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
More SUNNY DAY test photos

Distance: 1,745.00 ft (531.88 m)

Distance: 50 feet, 18m

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Re: More SUNNY DAY test photos

Bassam Guy wrote:

Distance: 50 feet, 18m

Are these the same subject?

No

Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,026

Bassam Guy wrote:

Much better conditions to test a lens - which looks very good ๐Ÿ‘

I have to ask, how did you distance that precisely? Most would have approximated it, like 1/3 of a mile or so ๐Ÿค”

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more

Albert Valentino wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

I have to ask, how did you distance that precisely? Most would have approximated it, like 1/3 of a mile or so ๐Ÿค”

Google maps. Right click one point -> Measure distance ... to the other point. Copy results and paste into DPR MFT forum to impress Albert Valentino .

The first photo, I knew exactly where I was in an above ground park, and the Washington Monument - believe it or not - is somewhat easy to pinpoint.

Bird's nest was a wild guess.

The above is 1km from my home where at a boat landing and directly across the Potomac on the center tree is a slight guess (could have used street view to locate the same tree but too much of a PITA).

Bassam Guy wrote:

Albert Valentino wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

Google maps. Right click one point -> Measure distance ... to the other point. Copy results and paste into DPR MFT forum to impress Albert Valentino .

it workedย 

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
Another try...

Behind my home is one in a series of parks on the Virginia side of the Potomac. The main reason I purchased the OM 300 f4.5 was for occasional bird & wildlife photography.

Well, today, one of those occasions happened. Some good news and some bad news.

Good news is that there was enough light for a good exposure, colors look pretty good, and - to my eyes - significant chroma is absent.

Bad news is that this bird (hawk?) still required significant cropping, and that I am terrible at focusing this lens - I hope practice will help

1/500 f8 ISO 250. PP - Only a diagonal graduated filter to brighten exposure by .5 stops

kohinoor Senior Member • Posts: 1,475
Re: Another try...

Bassam Guy wrote:

Behind my home is one in a series of parks on the Virginia side of the Potomac. The main reason I purchased the OM 300 f4.5 was for occasional bird & wildlife photography.

Good news is that there was enough light for a good exposure, colors look pretty good, and - to my eyes - significant chroma is absent.

Bad news is that this bird (hawk?) still required significant cropping, and that I am terrible at focusing this lens - I hope practice will help

1/500 f8 ISO 250. PP - Only a diagonal graduated filter to brighten exposure by .5 stops

As nothing in that shot is as sharp as your landscape shots I think focus is off here. You're within the range of 'acceptable' focus but the peak of focus isn't on the subject.

And if this pic is only cropped but not downsized for posting then we are looking at an equivalent focal length of 1850mm ... and the subject still fills less than 1000px vertically. -Thats asking much even if the subject was nicely lit from the front (instead of back) and with perfect focus.

Advice: Keep trying!

Do you use magnified view for MF? -Helps a lot!

kohinoor wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

As nothing in that shot is as sharp as your landscape shots I think focus is off here. You're within the range of 'acceptable' focus but the peak of focus isn't on the subject.

I know the focus is bad, that's why I said so (see above). The point of this thread is to figure out if the lens is worth keeping.

And if this pic is only cropped but not downsized for posting then we are looking at an equivalent focal length of 1850mm ... and the subject still fills less than 1000px vertically. -Thats asking much even if the subject was nicely lit from the front (instead of back) and with perfect focus.

It was not downsized and is, indeed a crop

Advice: Keep trying!

Do you use magnified view for MF? -Helps a lot!

Yes, magnify and peaking. Magnify was too shaky, as it was hand held. By the time I took out my tripod, the inconsiderate bird had flown off. I shouted at him to perch on a closer branch but he just flipped me the bird and flew on.

Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,207

Are you using Focus Peaking or Magnified LiveView ?

Also, if your camera has the facility, make sure that  the 300mm focal length has been set in the camera for IBIS

The lens is capable of producing pleasing images  . . .

Peter

Messier Object wrote:

Also, if your camera has the facility, make sure that the 300mm focal length has been set in the camera for IBIS

Important point that is often forgotten when using manual lenses.

The lens is capable of producing pleasing images . . .

Peter

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Messier Object wrote:

Yes. I'm not concerned about focus right now, just lens viability.

Also, if your camera has the facility, make sure that the 300mm focal length has been set in the camera for IBIS

Yes, IBIS is aware of the FL, it is and confirmed with the "300mm" in the EXIF.

I'm not worried about focus, yet. I'll get that nailed sometime after I make a serious attempt to focus.

The lens is capable of producing pleasing images . . .

Peter

Thanks for the pix. They give me a lot more confidence in the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads