Photographing with Higher MP bodies

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
EricTheAstroJunkie Contributing Member • Posts: 815
Re: More pixels = good even with bad lenses

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

EricTheAstroJunkie wrote:

Without looking at any specific lens/camera combo and what exact numbers it'd produce (like a highly resolving 85mm lens on a 24mp Z6 vs 45mgp Z7) I'd still call 20% a much greater degree.

20% can be the difference between a 30 inch wide print and a 36 inch wide print of similar detail quality when both are viewed from the same specific distance.

If viewed from further away than when the human eyes resolving power is less than the detail in a 30 or 36 inch wide print - there is no discernible difference.

Obviously the needs of any one photographer have to be weighed, 20% more resolution/resolving power could mean A LOT for me (as an astrophotographer trying to resolve specific details within, say, a nebula or galaxy) vs maybe not a lot for someone doing portrait photography.

I presume for this you use a Barlow lens to increase subject magnification, an equatorial telescope, stacking of numerous images and shooting when the atmosphere is clear and ideally no moon to get a decent result. 20% is useful - though the usual Barlow lens is 5 times "better".

Actually I never use barlow lenses for my specific type of astrophotography (namely DSO/galaxies), the increase in magnification is often accompanied by a decrease in image quality as well as an equivalent loss in aperture (so a 2x barlow would double the mag, but halve the aperture, which would be a deal breaker for any kind of astro except planetary/lunar/solar where you can get away with "slow" optical systems that are usually f10 or slower). When it comes to real deep space astrophotography specialized telescopes and cameras are necessary, you need long focal lengths with large apertures and highly corrected glass paired with a sensor with specific pixel sizes to account for atmospheric conditions at the imaging location (calculating a pixel scale resolution that allows for proper sampling given the "seeing" conditions).

In any case, an increase in 20% for resolving power with my Z7 would be gladly accepted, that'd mean much sharper stars and of smaller magnitude, more detail, etc. The better "data" that one can start out with the better the final product/image you'll get downstream.

EricTheAstroJunkie's gear list:EricTheAstroJunkie's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D5300 Sony a7S +14 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,982
Re: More pixels = good even with bad lenses

EricTheAstroJunkie wrote:

I guess the "require" part is more so important for any specific type of photography being done, as I should have included that disclaimer. If you WANT to take advantage of the smaller pixels and higher resolution 45mp camera to the highest degree possible then you will require better lens optics. There's obviously a huge list of factors that anyone needs to consider when buying a camera and lens for their specific needs, this is just one of them.

Maybe Leonard would have been happier if you had said "full advantage" instead of just "advantage".

From what I have read over the years, ANY lens (within reason) will perform better on a higher resolution sensor.  A better lens will show a greater improvement than a lesser lens.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Franka T.L.
Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,161
Re: Photographing with Higher MP bodies

first off, yes there are more restriction when using a high MP sensor equipped camera if you want to get the most out of it , but that had been the case since film days and won't likely change any time soon , you learn to love your tripod, you learn to love slow lens , you learn not always try to open up the aperture and you learn  to love F/8.0, you learn to lve the lens hood ALWAYS, you learn to ............ well ........... the motto is while the sensor ( or the film ) give you the utmost in quality , it also amplify any of your carelessness and any fault incurred.

ut for the part, PRINTING ... oh printing .. so much myth about it , I print large myself , A2 / A3 is the start of it all and goes all the way up to B0 and more , for a start , large print do not always require a high MP count image , I've been printing large since the less than 10MP days and while I would agree high MP capture do provide usually more to play with its also meaning a more demanding and well executed work flow. If you are just thinking about printing large but not actually printing it yourself , then think about the preparation and the capture, you want the white balance as spot on as possible. You want to ask your printer what kind of file format and file size / resolution they would need or preferred for the job. You want to also be light handed on the processing , all of them. If on the other hand you are looking at printing yourself, I direct you to the Printers and Printing section on this forum instead.

-- hide signature --

..... ^.^ .....

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Thanks Everyone! Lens Quality

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

bernardlang wrote:

The Z glass is outstanding and more than capable to resolving the sensor of the Z7II.

This second part of this comment is unfortunately factually wrong

No sensor out resolves any lens, and no lens out resolves any sensor.

Increasing the resolving ability of a sensor or lens (measured in isolation) increases image resolution.

If you mean generally Z lenses rather than F help achieve more image resolution - than yes.

However even with Z lenses, a Z7 helps achieve higher image resolution than with a Z6.

Yes, you are correct my wording wasn't accurate enough.

I indeed meant that the resolving power of Z lenses is high enough not to be limiting the resolution potential of the imaging sensor of the Z7II, at least not more than any other lens currently available.

Cheers,
Bernard

goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,977
Re: Photographing with Higher MP bodies

You can crop is a massive about with the Z6 files size. We were doing it with the old D700 12mp cameras years ago.

I can crop out 75% of the image with no problem we do it every week for weddings and portrait sessions we do.

I would never buy a Z7 myself as I would never need that size file for anything we shoot for any customer that pays us. We do on average around 130 jobs a year.

We printed 24x36s from cropped in 12mp D700 files with zero problems now with the Z6 at 24mp that is overkill I wish it was only 16 to 18M.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads