Laptops vs pc’s

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Biigdave New Member • Posts: 1
Laptops vs pc’s

What does the majority recommend for photo editing, any certain laptops or pc’s? 
many thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,028
Re: Laptops vs pc’s
2

Biigdave wrote:

What does the majority recommend for photo editing, any certain laptops or pc’s?
many thanks

I'm sure you will get lots of helpful replies, but until then, there are plenty of threads on this topic that you may find useful:

https://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=editing&forum=1004&only-threads=yes&only-titles=yes

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Laptops vs pc’s
2

I'm not exactly up to date with the best technologies, nor the best at photo editing so take this as my best disclaimer.

If you're on the go, and editing photos on a plane, the laptop wins.

But for all other conditions to PC wins. Here is why:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors. That's my first problem. Good monitors are about 99-100% of sRGB and AdobeRGB.

Screen size. A 17" laptop screen is one huge heavy thing to carry around. The toolbars on the left and right side of the screen take up a lot of the screen. Having around 30" is awesome, 27" is still very good, but 17" would be tough.

Speed. My PC is far more powerful than my laptops. I'd say my macbook pro is decent, my alienware isn't very good, but my 4 year old PC is better and more stable than my newer laptops with TOTL decked out specs.

I think you may do ok for casual photo editing with either, a laptop isn't a terrible choice, but if the primary goal is to edit photos on a desk, you're going to want a real computer.

If your primary goal is to view pictures on the go, find a laptop with the color gamut.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,544
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

It's possible to have a laptop, and to have a large external screen to use with it, when you are at home.

This route is generally more expensive than buying a desktop system, but it is an option.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,764
Re: Laptops vs pc’s
2

Thurnau wrote:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors.

Not quite. Certainly there are laptops 70% of sRGB and worse, but it's not difficult to find laptops with near-100% of sRGB, and some UHD laptop screens are considerably wider-gamut.

Unless portability is needed, a desktop is indeed usually the better choice. Easier upgrades and repairs, room for an efficient cooling system, wide choice of displays, etc.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,598
Re: Laptops vs pc’s
1

Biigdave wrote:

What does the majority recommend for photo editing, any certain laptops or pc’s?
many thanks

Both are valid options.   To get any useful recommendations, you are going to need to be more specific with wants, needs, and budget.

Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors.

Not quite. Certainly there are laptops 70% of sRGB and worse, but it's not difficult to find laptops with near-100% of sRGB, and some UHD laptop screens are considerably wider-gamut.

Unless portability is needed, a desktop is indeed usually the better choice. Easier upgrades and repairs, room for an efficient cooling system, wide choice of displays, etc.

Who is on your short list of the better screened laptops for color accuracy that is a windows machine? I'm definately out of touch.

My apple macbook pro hides the specs online. They only say "P3".

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,750
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

For critical image processing the monitor is far more important than silicon driving it or the form factor housing the silicon.

One does not interact with the silicon, one makes decisions based on what one thinks one is looking at on the monitor.

If it takes fractions of a second longer for some silicon to serve up the image than other silicon does that really matter?

 bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,484
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Which is better an adjustable spanner , or a ring spanner ?

If you only have one, the adjustable wins !

For all other uses rings are better as they sit and won't round the edges.

I feel the laptop v desktop issue is the same, as bmoag pointed out we work in a GUI and all interaction is visible. Best to do this on the best screen you can . First and most fundamental issue with a laptop is the screen moves back and forth, causing the image to vary. Many panels are not as good at colour calibration , not sure if there is one with a 16 bit LUT.

Adde to this all the extras that desktops allow , like Wacom tablet ( retouching with a mouse or trackpad is like knitting wearing boxing gloves.  I started with laptops, and carried pads and all the extras to try and retouch onsite for fast editorial ... but it is a pain in the  - - - - ! Now if I need onsite proofing I use a pad , and tether . Do all the previews  and reviews this way. Indoors we have two laptops and they hardly ever get used these days . Pads are more convenient for fast, and Desktops are for more involved or lengthy process.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,764
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Thurnau wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors.

Not quite. Certainly there are laptops 70% of sRGB and worse, but it's not difficult to find laptops with near-100% of sRGB, and some UHD laptop screens are considerably wider-gamut.

Unless portability is needed, a desktop is indeed usually the better choice. Easier upgrades and repairs, room for an efficient cooling system, wide choice of displays, etc.

Who is on your short list of the better screened laptops for color accuracy that is a windows machine? I'm definately out of touch.

See this:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebooks-with-the-Best-Displays.120541.0.html

My apple macbook pro hides the specs online. They only say "P3".

That's DCI-P3; it's a gamut widely used in video. Some recent displays from Apple and Microsoft target it.

https://www.msi.com/blog/why-dci-p3-is-the-new-standard-of-color-gamut

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors.

Not quite. Certainly there are laptops 70% of sRGB and worse, but it's not difficult to find laptops with near-100% of sRGB, and some UHD laptop screens are considerably wider-gamut.

Unless portability is needed, a desktop is indeed usually the better choice. Easier upgrades and repairs, room for an efficient cooling system, wide choice of displays, etc.

Who is on your short list of the better screened laptops for color accuracy that is a windows machine? I'm definately out of touch.

See this:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebooks-with-the-Best-Displays.120541.0.html

My apple macbook pro hides the specs online. They only say "P3".

That's DCI-P3; it's a gamut widely used in video. Some recent displays from Apple and Microsoft target it.

https://www.msi.com/blog/why-dci-p3-is-the-new-standard-of-color-gamut

I'm surprised, many on that resource has excellent RGB. One has 99% of adobe RGB, another has 100%, and the rest are <90%AdobeRGB. I'm pretty impressed that any had adobeRGB that high, and I've learned there are 2! It's too late for me though. I'm stuck with my Alienware for now, but I'll keep this in mind for when I upgrade. I gave up looking for a decent screen after a couple of days of casually looking. I seldom use a laptop anyway, but I may need to rely on one again soon.

Apple specs say P3, it didn't say 100% P3. It's got a decent screen like most things apple.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Both suitably specified machines work well. The main differences are that desktops are cheaper and can hold more storage.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,764
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Thurnau wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Color accuracy. Some of the better laptops have 70% RGB colors.

Not quite. Certainly there are laptops 70% of sRGB and worse, but it's not difficult to find laptops with near-100% of sRGB, and some UHD laptop screens are considerably wider-gamut.

Unless portability is needed, a desktop is indeed usually the better choice. Easier upgrades and repairs, room for an efficient cooling system, wide choice of displays, etc.

Who is on your short list of the better screened laptops for color accuracy that is a windows machine? I'm definately out of touch.

See this:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebooks-with-the-Best-Displays.120541.0.html

My apple macbook pro hides the specs online. They only say "P3".

That's DCI-P3; it's a gamut widely used in video. Some recent displays from Apple and Microsoft target it.

https://www.msi.com/blog/why-dci-p3-is-the-new-standard-of-color-gamut

I'm surprised, many on that resource has excellent RGB. One has 99% of adobe RGB, another has 100%, and the rest are <90%AdobeRGB. I'm pretty impressed that any had adobeRGB that high, and I've learned there are 2! It's too late for me though. I'm stuck with my Alienware for now, but I'll keep this in mind for when I upgrade. I gave up looking for a decent screen after a couple of days of casually looking. I seldom use a laptop anyway, but I may need to rely on one again soon.

Apple specs say P3, it didn't say 100% P3. It's got a decent screen like most things apple.

If you're curious, calibrating and profiling your display with a colorimeter and software like DisplayCAL can tell you what percentage of DCI-P3 it covers, like this:

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,409
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

Biigdave wrote:

What does the majority recommend for photo editing, any certain laptops or pc’s?
many thanks

I do all my photo editing on three desktop PCs that I built.  I also have two laptops for storing images when I'm on the road  but I don't do any editing on them.

I just couldn't see sitting at a desk editing on a laptop.  Why not on a desktop PC?

StarPortraits
StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

In my case I remain loyal to laptops now more than ever. There are reasons for me. For one I have limited data on my phone plan with hotspot so I can take my laptop where there is a wireless connection and download or upload large files. Second, a laptop is one in all solution that keeps the desk space very simple and clean. Third, with exception of MBP they have upgradable ram and storage. Also I am using a laptop that has 95% sRGB gamut coverage and the screen is twice that of a 1080p making details very fine looking. Todays 17 inch laptops are not those of 15 years ago. They are lighter and smaller thank to thin bezels and lighter materials used. I have even put mines into a 15.6 laptop case.

 StarPortraits's gear list:StarPortraits's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,272
Re: Laptops vs pc’s

I do Lightroom on both laptop and PC, both with color calibrated screens.

I only do this on the laptop when I'm on a photo trip, typically a dive trip in the past few years.  I would edit photos each night and make changes as needed for the next day.  I would post some on Facebook as well.

When I got home I would invariably reprocess every shot.   Once I saw them on a proper 4k monitor with a better dynamic range than the laptop screen, I could see that a lot of highlights were too bright, trying to make up for the laptop screen's deficiencies.   Reprocessed, they looked good on the big monitor and the laptop.

Speed - that was always in favor of the desktop, but the gap really reduced when I got a newer laptop with an SSD drive.

At home I use a laptop most of the time, sitting on a couch and watching TV as well.  But never for photo editing when I have a good desktop and dual 4k monitors.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads