Currently Pentax K-7 and few lenses - what now ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Szalik Regular Member • Posts: 131
Currently Pentax K-7 and few lenses - what now ?

Hi everyone

I have a dilemma now.

Many years ago I have bought Pentax K-7 DSLR + with time some Lenses: DA 55-300

Tamron 90mm Macro, Tamron 24-70 and Fish Eye.

Now I have a stinker what to buy. My Pentax is barely coping in low light situations and looks like sensor got old as well I need something with better image quality.

Ideally I would like something small which I could carry with me all the time, maybe even in pocket. This would mean I will have to sell all my lenses and try to go to new system- but what should I buy ? My budget is max 1500 USD plus from lenses maybe I would get 600 USD. So I need a camera with at least one good lens for start for 2000 USD.

Or better option would be to stay with Pentax and just buy the KP model ?

K-1 is to expensive for me and K-3 you can't buy anymore

What do you think ?

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-7 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TBLF Senior Member • Posts: 1,076
Re: Currently Pentax K-7 and few lenses - what now ?

If your most recent Pentax experience is with the K7, which I did own and know what you mean about low light, it was my least favorite of all the Pentax DSLR because of that but you should be delighted with the KP, not only in terms of low light but many other improvements, even in AF as well. Over all handling and speed will be a big boost too. With the small grip and a small prime it probably wont fit into your shirt pocket but will be nice and compact.

-- hide signature --

EricV

TBLF's gear list:TBLF's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +7 more
JeremieB Regular Member • Posts: 363

It's complex because it really depends on what kind of photos you want to take, and you usually take. If the lens you use most of the time is the 55-300, I doubt you will find a pocket camera with such zoom and better IQ (I'm not sure though, maybe there is ?).

But with your budget you almost can buy both a K70 and a Ricoh GRIII. K70 will probably have much better low light capabilities (by cranking ISO up), and the GRIII is supposed to fit in a pocket and has good reputation as street camera - but you have no zoom capability. You could get some money from your K7 also I guess if it's in good shape.

But really, everything is possible, taking into account your budget, dSLR, mirrorless, compacts ... Maybe check what are your own favorite photos and which lens you use most, and maybe with that in mind you could go to a shop and check by yourself what the different cameras are like ?

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
OP Szalik Regular Member • Posts: 131

thanks for the reply.

With going to the shop the problem is that you have very limited choice.

They don't have everything on the display.

Most photos I do are up to 55mm maybe 77mm sometimes.

I have to options only.

1. Buy KP

2. Keep what I have for some tele photos and just buy a good pocket camera for 1500 USD but which one ?

bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,126

Szalik wrote:

thanks for the reply.

With going to the shop the problem is that you have very limited choice.

They don't have everything on the display.

Most photos I do are up to 55mm maybe 77mm sometimes.

I have to options only.

1. Buy KP

2. Keep what I have for some tele photos and just buy a good pocket camera for 1500 USD but which one ?

'Pocketable' is a very strict criteria. You can look at the general current options for 'compact' here

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-fixed-prime-lens-cameras

but few of these are really 'pocketable.' The GRIII is, but it's not going to get you the telephoto end.

Either the KP or K-70 is going to give you a completely new world in terms of low-light capability and IQ at an affordable price.

Depends on what matters the most to you--if there were really a single camera that fit in your pocket and did everything a MILC or DSLR can do, we'd all carry it. But there isn't, so what compromises you want to make really depends on your situation and priorities.

-- hide signature --

bob5050
I just hope that everyone who's complained about the K-3iii delay actually buys one. One wonders, otherwise, about the sincerity of their complaints.

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 379

It would be very surprising if you weren't completely delighted with the capabilities of the Pentax KP.  Your budget would also get you a DA 21 mm Limited lens or, if you prefer a bit longer, a DA 40 mm Limited lens. With either of those on the KP you would have a great set for amazing image quality, and which would fit in a large coat pocket (or a small shoulder bag, along with your DA 55-300, a drink and a packed lunch!).

Philip

OP Szalik Regular Member • Posts: 131

Perhaps your wright.

Especially the KP is such a good deal now.

And maybe later I will add to this something like Fuji X100V when it gets cheaper for every day use.

So KP it is- what a nice Christmas present for myself

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,193

Szalik wrote:

What do you think ?

Do you need SLR? Or can you accept mirrorless?

If you need SLR, get the Pentax KP. I am not sure for how long Nikon and Canon will provide SLR cameras.

If you can accept mirrorless, then there are several other options. Not so cheap maybe.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Emmanuel Diver Contributing Member • Posts: 604

Szalik wrote:

Hi everyone

I have a dilemma now.

Now I have a stinker what to buy. My Pentax is barely coping in low light situations and looks like sensor got old as well I need something with better image quality.

Ideally I would like something small which I could carry with me all the time, maybe even in pocket. This would mean I will have to sell all my lenses and try to go to new system- but what should I buy ? My budget is max 1500 USD plus from lenses maybe I would get 600 USD. So I need a camera with at least one good lens for start for 2000 USD.

What do you think ?

You can look for a used K3 or K3ii anywhere online.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/mannydee
www.pentaxphotogallery.com/emmanuelmdiver

Emmanuel Diver's gear list:Emmanuel Diver's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +2 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,657

Szalik wrote:

Hi everyone

I have a dilemma now.

This post had K-1 written all over it until that last sentece.

The 24-70 (2.8?) is an amazing lens on FF, very practical and with the SR of the K-1, you won't need a tripod until your exposures get longer than a full second.

The Tamron 90 is also FF

As for the 55-300, you can use it in crop mode, not a big deal

So maybe you can stretch for the K1(ii) it really is worth it. Sell the old K7 if you have to.

What do you think ?

In pocket? No system camera fits in pocket any more, woth that the Pentax Q is gone. If you want in pocket, it's either the Ricoh GR or your phone....

If video and AF speed are important to you, you might want to wait for the K3iii.

I you want mirrorless, you'll have to change systems, but with the K1ii currently at 1800 brand new with no need to change lenses, you're not going to get anything better.

Otherwise the KP.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
WRB
WRB Regular Member • Posts: 124

There are many options for good used equipment.  I have bought several lenses and an impressive K1 used.   Explore your options you might find it best to upgrade in that fashion rather than change complete systems and not be satisfied.

WRB's gear list:WRB's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
kh1234567890
kh1234567890 Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Szalik wrote:

I've got a little Panasonic TZ100, well under $1500, and it continually amazes me how good it is ,,,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kh1234567890/albums/72157687585421680

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kh1234567890/albums/72157715187115192

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +15 more
John Cal
John Cal Regular Member • Posts: 384

If you dont mind manual focus a Fujifilm XE3 with an adaptor for k mount works really well. I use my pentax glass on an XE3 and XH-1 and its a lot of fun. Thw XH-1 has the best manual focusing of any camera i have used. It has a dual evf display showing the overal photo with a secondary screen in the evf giving magnified view of the selected focus point with switchable focus peaking. It brilliant the Xtrans sensor gets the most out of my Pentax lenses.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +18 more
Lotz Junior Member • Posts: 33

Hi,

get a KP, enjoy it and be happy. It's that simple.

Markus

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_langlotz/

Lotz's gear list:Lotz's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,733

Clearly KP.   If K-1 is too $$$, K-3III will be too.  KP is a top notch image maker, and very inexpensive for what you can get out of it.  A light-years jump from K-7.
-------------------
"Elegance of operation" -- Pentax
"Heavy for its size" -- DPR

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads