X-T40 with IBIS?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Kyle Logan Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
X-T40 with IBIS?

What do you think the likelihood is that Fuji will release an X-T40 with IBIS? I love the form factor of my X-T10 and can’t imagine shooting anything larger. And I could care less about a bigger grip. I’d  upgrade for IBIS though. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Kyle Logan's gear list:Kyle Logan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Fujifilm X-T10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,594
Re: X-T40 with IBIS?

Kyle Logan wrote:

What do you think the likelihood is that Fuji will release an X-T40 with IBIS? I love the form factor of my X-T10 and can’t imagine shooting anything larger. And I could care less about a bigger grip. I’d upgrade for IBIS though. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Every camera (Fuji, Sony, etc) that gets IBIS increases in size, even if it's the thickness, and gets heavier so we can expect that X-T4 to be a little thicker and a little heavier, not to mention more expensive, to accommodate it. Personally I think the X-S10 is the X-T40; I think they had to move the battery to the grip because IBIS occupied the space the battery would normally be in the body.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,717

Agreed. It seems that Fuji has turned a corner and their cameras are getting bigger because of IBIS. Sony did a great job marketing IBIS and keeping their full frames small.

Will the X-T40 show up at some point. Who knows.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
AndyH44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,297

A   B I G   Z e r o !  They made the X-S10 instead!  

-- hide signature --

"True craftsmen never blame their tools, but strive to use them properly"

AndyH44's gear list:AndyH44's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2S Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 III +1 more
OP Kyle Logan Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

Although I think you’re right, I hope that’s not the case

Kyle Logan's gear list:Kyle Logan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more

MrSee wrote:

Agreed. It seems that Fuji has turned a corner and their cameras are getting bigger because of IBIS. Sony did a great job marketing IBIS and keeping their full frames small.

Fuji's cameras are getting larger for the same reason that Sony's IBIS A7-3 is thicker and heaver than the IBIS A7-1.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
KneeConWon Contributing Member • Posts: 803

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

MrSee wrote:

Fuji's cameras are getting larger for the same reason that Sony's IBIS A7-3 is thicker and heaver than the IBIS A7-1.

It should be noted that the Sony A7 II has IBIS and is smaller than the A7 III.

So the A7 III didn't grow in size from its previous model in order to add IBIS.

-- hide signature --

Follow my street-photo project on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/couplesoftraversecity/

KneeConWon's gear list:KneeConWon's gear list
Sony a7 II Nikon D7500 Fujifilm X-T100
forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Lightweight body with IBIS

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Kyle Logan wrote:

What do you think the likelihood is that Fuji will release an X-T40 with IBIS? I love the form factor of my X-T10 and can’t imagine shooting anything larger. And I could care less about a bigger grip. I’d upgrade for IBIS though. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Every camera (Fuji, Sony, etc) that gets IBIS increases in size, even if it's the thickness, and gets heavier so we can expect that X-T4 to be a little thicker and a little heavier, not to mention more expensive, to accommodate it. Personally I think the X-S10 is the X-T40; I think they had to move the battery to the grip because IBIS occupied the space the battery would normally be in the body.

Camera can reduce weight if use carbon fibres as body material.

Examples

The DJI Ronin S2 Gimbal features carbon fibre construction, allowing it to manage huge 4.5KG payloads, despite its own relative lightweight of just 1.3​KG.

KneeConWon wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

MrSee wrote:

The A7-2, not the A7-3, was the first one to get IBIS, and the A7-2's body (ignoring the grip) is thicker and heavier than the A7-1 because of IBIS.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

holashobby Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

Kyle Logan wrote:

At this point, very low, with x-s10's release, I think it has been quietly dropped and the X-E4 given a reprieve to soldier on as the midrange flag bearer of classic Fuji X controls. Markets realities such as the inclusion of IBIS and 4K video, suggest that no future x-Txx  nor x-Ex will be as small as the x-t10.

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405

Can’t see it happening.  Essentially the only difference over the XS10 would be the dials (the body would likely have to change in the same way to accommodate the IBIS) - I can’t see their being enough differentiation to justify an XT40 as well.  Basically the XS10 is it.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR

Threaded wrote:

Can’t see it happening. Essentially the only difference over the XS10 would be the dials (the body would likely have to change in the same way to accommodate the IBIS) - I can’t see their being enough differentiation to justify an XT40 as well. Basically the XS10 is it.

Dials and I think Fuji would keep the tilt screen on the XT40.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Threaded wrote:

Can’t see it happening. Essentially the only difference over the XS10 would be the dials (the body would likely have to change in the same way to accommodate the IBIS) - I can’t see their being enough differentiation to justify an XT40 as well. Basically the XS10 is it.

Would they though?  The XTx0 has always been the mini XTx, and a mini XT4 ought really to have the selfie screen along with IBIS, two boxes ticked by the XS10.

I see the XS10 as a hybrid between what the XT40 and XT300 would have been - they’ve just brought the low and mid range together into one.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR

Threaded wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Threaded wrote:

Would they though? The XTx0 has always been the mini XTx, and a mini XT4 ought really to have the selfie screen along with IBIS, two boxes ticked by the XS10.

I see the XS10 as a hybrid between what the XT40 and XT300 would have been - they’ve just brought the low and mid range together into one.

The X-Pro has always been a maxi X100 but they now have different screen designs. The XT40 could be stills focused, maybe give it the X-T3's 3-way screen, and keep the X-S10 as the video focused camera with its articulating screen. But really I think that the X-T40 has been replaced by the X-S10.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Zinch Regular Member • Posts: 289

I don't think it would be wise to release a new midrange camera with the same sensor generation. Today you have the X-S10, X-T30 and X-T3 (and soon you'll have the X-E4) fighting in the same price range with only minor differences between them.

Maybe, half a year after a new X-H2 with a new sensor is released, you see a new X-T40, but I'm not positive about it. I think that the S and E lines are enough for the midrange bodies and the Txx is the line that can steal more sales from the Tx that I guess are more profitable

Zinch's gear list:Zinch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288

KneeConWon wrote:

What was your experience like with IBIS on the II? From what I heard it's not nearly as effective as the one on the III, so while it might not have grown in size to "add" IBIS, it could have grown in size to make IBIS "more effective".

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +13 more
KneeConWon Contributing Member • Posts: 803

wy2lam wrote:

KneeConWon wrote:

What was your experience like with IBIS on the II? From what I heard it's not nearly as effective as the one on the III, so while it might not have grown in size to "add" IBIS, it could have grown in size to make IBIS "more effective".

Sure, that's completely possible.

The A7 II is the only camera I've ever used with IBIS, so I can only compare its effectiveness to in-lens stabilization (in a variety of lenses on a variety of cameras).

In any case, I find the A7 II IBIS to be excellent. Below are two shots taken handheld with an 85mm lens on my A7 II at 1/15 second and 1/10 second shutter speed (respectively) using IBIS. I'd call that effective — what say you?

-- hide signature --

Follow my street-photo project on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/couplesoftraversecity/

KneeConWon's gear list:KneeConWon's gear list
Sony a7 II Nikon D7500 Fujifilm X-T100
wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288

Looks pretty good at 85mm - how well do you handheld at 85mm usually without the IBIS?

I've seen people who can produce sharp pictures at 180mm, 1/20s without IBIS, and people who cannot make it sharp at 40mm with IBIS, 1/30s, so it's important to know the amount of improvement to judge whether that IS is effective enough.

KneeConWon wrote:

wy2lam wrote:

KneeConWon wrote:

Sure, that's completely possible.

The A7 II is the only camera I've ever used with IBIS, so I can only compare its effectiveness to in-lens stabilization (in a variety of lenses on a variety of cameras).

In any case, I find the A7 II IBIS to be excellent. Below are two shots taken handheld with an 85mm lens on my A7 II at 1/15 second and 1/10 second shutter speed (respectively) using IBIS. I'd call that effective — what say you?

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads