Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

Started 5 months ago | Polls
OP phouphou Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

Graham Meale wrote:

Yet another poll to which my response is "none of the above".

I keep all my raws (excluding those I delete in the field) as .CR2 and .DNG. (I have to convert to DNG as my Adobe software predates my camera.) Then those that I process I keep as 16-bit TIFFs. I never use JPEGs unless I'm preparing to upload to the web, which I do very rarely.

yeah i wanted to make a poll but then realized it's impossible to cover all the options.

I'm not so much interested in how the workflow works, but if people pile up RAW files without trying to save disk space.

Apparently many do keep everything, which would mean from a session with 100 (keeper) photos = 2,5GB of RAW files (in my 24MP case) many seem to store everything as raw image files. While i try to save diskspace by only keeping a few RAWs (few percent) and the rest as compressed/retouched JPG so maybe 0,5GB instead of 2,5GB.

I'm not sure if i'll ever regret this. Probably in a few cases i will.

But then it means i can live with a 1TB HDD where others need 5TB, which admittedly is not a huge deal with current prices of $20/TB. But with online cloud prices of anual $50/TB it's still a different story. Anyway i'm more concerned of handling 5TB of data, which is not fun.

phouphou's gear list:phouphou's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a7 II Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +12 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,550

phouphou wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

I keep all my raws (excluding those I delete in the field) as .CR2 and .DNG. (I have to convert to DNG as my Adobe software predates my camera.) Then those that I process I keep as 16-bit TIFFs. I never use JPEGs unless I'm preparing to upload to the web, which I do very rarely.

yeah i wanted to make a poll but then realized it's impossible to cover all the options.

I'm not so much interested in how the workflow works, but if people pile up RAW files without trying to save disk space.

Apparently many do keep everything, which would mean from a session with 100 (keeper) photos = 2,5GB of RAW files (in my 24MP case) many seem to store everything as raw image files. While i try to save diskspace by only keeping a few RAWs (few percent) and the rest as compressed/retouched JPG so maybe 0,5GB instead of 2,5GB.

But then it means i can live with a 1TB HDD where others need 5TB, which admittedly is not a huge deal with current prices of $20/TB. But with online cloud prices of anual $50/TB it's still a different story. Anyway i'm more concerned of handling 5TB of data, which is not fun.

Yes, but all those photos don't have to live in the same place.

If you use Lightroom (it's just the software I know and use) it would be perfectly viable to have, say, your most recent photos on internal disk (maybe an ssd), and the rest on an external drive.  You could also use a single Catalogue. Lightroom is quite happy with photos in a Catalogue in multiple locations, and the Catalogue itself is not size sensitive.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892

phouphou wrote:

But then it means i can live with a 1TB HDD where others need 5TB, which admittedly is not a huge deal with current prices of $20/TB.

When I had a 1TB internal I threw my raw files on a handy external and forgot about them.

Now I have a 4TB internal, I can keep them online, but if I ever do get short of space, they'll be evicted and only on externals. There's so much information in a raw file, it's not worth taking the chance and not keeping them. My only regret in photography is not starting shooting raw earlier.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,279

davidedric wrote:

phouphou wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

Yes, but all those photos don't have to live in the same place.

If you use Lightroom (it's just the software I know and use) it would be perfectly viable to have, say, your most recent photos on internal disk (maybe an ssd), and the rest on an external drive. You could also use a single Catalogue. Lightroom is quite happy with photos in a Catalogue in multiple locations, and the Catalogue itself is not size sensitive.

Recent on internal and rest on external is what I do. One catalogue is best IMO. Multiple defeats the all the capabilities a catalogue has to offer. Even separating business and play I'd have one root source with two subfolders named for both categories. There is no known limit to its size. I know of one catalogue that contained data for 13 million files.

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,643

I keep my original raw files in their original raw format. I will cull any that have obvious issues with composition/exposure/shake/etc. I discard about 10-20%.

Then I go into DxO PhotoLab (which applies my default settings) and I adjust each of them further if required. I'll then process my favourites from any given set, which could be 30 or may be none. Unless they're going somewhere specific I generally only store processed images when a) I'm happy with them, and b) if they required significant pixel level work.

kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042

phouphou wrote:

Storage space is not free but has become quite cheap.

So, do you keep all your RAWs or select a few? Or do you store your photos only as JPGs and with what compression?

I usually keep 10% of the photos from a shoot, edit them, keep those 10% as full-res (after crop) JPGs (75% compression) and 0-1% of the RAWs.

Since i find it hard to put all this in a poll, please comment.

I voted for "keep all", but am actually somewhere in between.

For once in a lifetime experiences, I keep all the RAWs except for the most miserable failures -- inadvertent shots of my feet, shots that are *totally* out of focus, and such. I edit/export (as JPG) about 10% of them, maybe a bit more.

For everyday shots close to home, I am much more ruthless about culling RAWs.  I might keep about 10% of them, and the vast majority of survivors get edited/exported.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +17 more
paure1 Regular Member • Posts: 218

Hi,
I store all my raws (less the ones with technical errors) along with a processed ~3MB jpg - processed in LR.
With 30 - 40MB raws the additional jpg's are a very small overhead.

I also tag/keyword all my pictures in LR so that the relevant data stays with the individual pictures. I still use Picasa 3 (shows my age!) and can usually retrieve any picture in 10 - 20 secs. I would like a replacement for Picasa but have not found a suitable replacement.

I currently have 7.5TB photo data - ~300k pictures.
Just another viewpoint.

Allan

paure1's gear list:paure1's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS R +10 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,092

dj_paige wrote:

phouphou wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Lightroom Classic (and other similar editors work), you do need the original, and there's really no point usually to keep long-term the JPG created from the edited original.

I'm not sure if i understood correctly, so you rely on LR to save your edits to save 5MB diskspace per JPG?

No. This isn't really about disk space. I rely on Lightroom Classic to save my edits because that's where my organization is. If I want to find photos from my trip to Chicago, I find them in Lightroom Classic. I don't want to have to find a JPG in some folder organization.

And its also about effort and my time. Why would I want to export all of my photos to JPG, just to save the edits? That takes effort and time that I don't care to spend, when I only need a few of them as JPG.

To add to this, in case the OP isn't aware, Lr Classic only saves the instructions on how an original is to be edited and adjusted, not a file itself. So all those exposure and  color changes, crops, etc are stored as parameters in a database. Not as separate files. I have maybe 4 or 5 versions of the same original depending on what I'm going to do with it, and yet I only have the original photo, not 4-5 jpegs or tiffs. That's non destructive ediing.

And it does mean less stuff to keep track of. To me that's more important than the disk space; I can look at one original and deal with it's BW, print, and Flickr variants in one place.

What if your LR catalog gets corrupted?

That's why you make regular and automated backups. No different than if you save JPGs, you lose them if something bad happens to your hard disk, unless you have backups.

What if your JPEGs get corrupted? it's easier to backup the Lr Catalog than a bunch of jpegs. And not only that, but a database saves changes as they're made.

And in addition Lr Classic can even manage some images you DO export via publishing services. I can change any of the images I've already exported to Flickr from right within Lr, and the changes get sent to Flickr. Or say a bunch of JPEGs I exported to a family member's thumb drive he uses with his photo frame.

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,954

I use Lightroom, and normally shoot raw (except for jpegs from my phone). I always keep the originals of keepers. After initial processing, all keepers get at least 1 star rating. After a few months, I go through, check my ratings, and delete all no-stars. That means culling between 10% (only technical defectives) and 90%, depending on the nature of the shoot.

If I need to edit in Photoshop, then I will also keep the result - generally TIFF. If I'm sure I won't need to edit the TIFF again I might flatten layers to reduce size (unless an awful lot of work went into the TIFF), as I can always recreate again from the original.

If I export to jpeg, for exmaple to send to someone else or to the web, I delete the jpeg when I've sent/uploaded it; I can always export again.

The reason for keeping only the original plus edits is not to save space (which is cheap enough): it's for version control. The more copies of an image I have, the harder it becomes to keep track.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads