Which camera models have a focus issue with the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Street_Photography
Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,702
Which camera models have a focus issue with the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

I am thinking of buying a Sony A6xxx series camera just so I can get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4. But I remember considering it in the past and was thrown off when I saw that there was a problem with focusing, might have been at certain apertures and was a while ago so might have just been with the 30mm.

Please can you tell me which cameras have a problem with the Sigma lenses for autofocus?Quick autofocus is a big deal to me. As I am already on team Fuji I would like to buy the cheapest Sony possible, but the cheapest that focuses fast with the Sigmas. I know the latest Sony cameras have amazing autofocus but I will settles for decent speed i.e. no hunting and speed like you get with the mechanical focusing pancake lenses like the Panasonic 20mm and Fuji 18mm. Won’t be using video. Thanks.

Ps. Before anyone suggests I get the Viltrox lenses instead, I have discounted those because they have bad CA and focusing issues on my generation of Fujis. When I was with M43 I was in love with the Sigmas (16, 30 1.4 and 60), so I would rather go back to what I know as long as the focus speed is good. The 30 and 60 weren’t perfect at focusing on Panasonic cameras, but they were almost there and much faster than the Panasonic 20mm pancake.

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
aerondight Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: Which camera models have a focus issue with the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Street_Photography wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Sony A6xxx series camera just so I can get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4. But I remember considering it in the past and was thrown off when I saw that there was a problem with focusing, might have been at certain apertures and was a while ago so might have just been with the 30mm.

Please can you tell me which cameras have a problem with the Sigma lenses for autofocus?Quick autofocus is a big deal to me. As I am already on team Fuji I would like to buy the cheapest Sony possible, but the cheapest that focuses fast with the Sigmas. I know the latest Sony cameras have amazing autofocus but I will settles for decent speed i.e. no hunting and speed like you get with the mechanical focusing pancake lenses like the Panasonic 20mm and Fuji 18mm. Won’t be using video. Thanks.

Ps. Before anyone suggests I get the Viltrox lenses instead, I have discounted those because they have bad CA and focusing issues on my generation of Fujis. When I was with M43 I was in love with the Sigmas (16, 30 1.4 and 60), so I would rather go back to what I know as long as the focus speed is good. The 30 and 60 weren’t perfect at focusing on Panasonic cameras, but they were almost there and much faster than the Panasonic 20mm pancake.

I heard there were problems with all bodies - not sure how related settings/user error there are. But newer bodies such as the a6100 should be good due to the new AF system.

#2 & 3 search hit on dpreview is the a6500 & a6400..

https://www.google.com/search?q=sigma+30+autofocus+site%3Awww.dpreview.com

I have this on my a6000 & a6400 and the newer body is of course faster.

If you use the updated models and keep the firmware updated, you should be fine.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/lenses/firmware/popups/c_30_14/

aerondight's gear list:aerondight's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a6400 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Street_Photography
OP Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,702

aerondight wrote:

Street_Photography wrote:

I heard there were problems with all bodies - not sure how related settings/user error there are. But newer bodies such as the a6100 should be good due to the new AF system.

#2 & 3 search hit on dpreview is the a6500 & a6400..

https://www.google.com/search?q=sigma+30+autofocus+site%3Awww.dpreview.com

I have this on my a6000 & a6400 and the newer body is of course faster.

If you use the updated models and keep the firmware updated, you should be fine.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/lenses/firmware/popups/c_30_14/

Thanks, that’s exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated 🙏

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,087

It is been an issue with the 16/1.4 and 30/1.4 - focus off every once in a while. Sony said it was Sigma's fault and vice versa. a6000-a6500. Not sure about the newer models. But since Sony never accepted blame, well possible that nothing has changed. You can get around the issue with AF-C or DMF.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +54 more
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Regular Member • Posts: 421

Last year I had a 16 1.4 for my a6400, both recent, and never had any issue, felt like a native lens, for video aswell.

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +7 more
wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

When this was first publicized as an issue I had the A6000 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4.  I tried hard to reproduce it on my copies but could not, although I'm sure, given the reports, it was real for come combo of firmwares on camera and lens.  When I bought an A6600 I also tested and it certainly wasn't there.

I'd say, given the importance of this to you, and that you want to buy at the lowest guaranteed safe price point, that your safest bet is to buy an A6100.

dgsjsj Regular Member • Posts: 289

A good acquaintance, the owner of A6600 and Sigma 30mm 1.4 (16 and 56), shared his opinion that now the thirty does not miss the close plans. But in the distant shots, you need to carefully check the problematic diaphragms, which he had at 6000 and 6300.

My opinion is that the Sigma 30 / 1.4 has a curved focal plane in contrast to the Sigma 30 / 2.8. More experienced users will empirically select an off-center focus area. In this case, it is possible to get a sharp picture with uniform detailing across the frame. For this reason, I did not change the successful specimen of the Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN, sharp from an open aperture.

dgsjsj's gear list:dgsjsj's gear list
Sony a6100 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN +5 more

dgsjsj wrote:

A good acquaintance, the owner of A6600 and Sigma 30mm 1.4 (16 and 56), shared his opinion that now the thirty does not miss the close plans. But in the distant shots, you need to carefully check the problematic diaphragms, which he had at 6000 and 6300.

My opinion is that the Sigma 30 / 1.4 has a curved focal plane in contrast to the Sigma 30 / 2.8. More experienced users will empirically select an off-center focus area. In this case, it is possible to get a sharp picture with uniform detailing across the frame. For this reason, I did not change the successful specimen of the Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN, sharp from an open aperture.

The issue is not field curvature. If the AF fails, it is the center that is not sharp.

Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +54 more

mcslsk wrote:

dgsjsj wrote:

The issue is not field curvature. If the AF fails, it is the center that is not sharp.

You have both sigma in your profile. Take a couple of shots with a tripod on the horizon, focusing at infinity with the same 2.8 aperture

Take a look and rate. At 30 / 1.4, I admit to select the AF-C mode.

If there is no difference in the level of detail along the horizon, then you simply do not see this difference.

Sony a6100 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN +5 more

I am not questioning field curvature of the lens. What I am saying is that the AF issue the Sigma lenses dispaly on Sony cameras is not realted to field curvature. It has something to do with the AF motor and the software driving it.

Kogel
Kogel Regular Member • Posts: 169

mcslsk wrote:

I am not questioning field curvature of the lens. What I am saying is that the AF issue the Sigma lenses dispaly on Sony cameras is not realted to field curvature. It has something to do with the AF motor and the software driving it.

Maybe also related to significant focus breathing of this lens series. In AF-S mode some Sony cameras change aperture to focus and then reset aperture.

Never found the real cause, bought a full-frame camera and sold my Sigma trio.

Kogel's gear list:Kogel's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV GoPro Hero8 Black Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +10 more

mcslsk написал:

Я не сомневаюсь в кривизне поля линзы. Я говорю о том, что проблема автофокуса, которую демонстрируют объективы Sigma на камерах Sony, не связана с кривизной поля. Это как-то связано с мотором автофокусировки и программным обеспечением, управляющим им.

What you are trying to inform me about has been widely discussed and I am well aware. There are also known ways of solving - the choice on problematic apertures instead of single-frame AF-S mode, tracking AF-C focusing mode on a wide area.

My post is addressed to Street_Photography. I do not offer him anything else, why he warned. The essence of the message boils down to the fact that even on the new 6100 and 6600 cameras, the situation with focusing on problematic diaphragms, according to the owners, is not unambiguous. And he added his own argument as to why he did not purchase this lens. The user can change the focusing mode on problematic apertures, and to achieve focusing accuracy even in manual mode due to the curvature of the field is a task of a different level and which must always be remembered when shooting. It is distracting and unnecessary.

A collection of different opinions will help form an independent decision. 

dgsjsj wrote:

mcslsk написал:

Я не сомневаюсь в кривизне поля линзы. Я говорю о том, что проблема автофокуса, которую демонстрируют объективы Sigma на камерах Sony, не связана с кривизной поля. Это как-то связано с мотором автофокусировки и программным обеспечением, управляющим им.

My Russian seems pretty good

What you are trying to inform me about has been widely discussed and I am well aware. There are also known ways of solving - the choice on problematic apertures instead of single-frame AF-S mode, tracking AF-C focusing mode on a wide area.

My post is addressed to Street_Photography. I do not offer him anything else, why he warned. The essence of the message boils down to the fact that even on the new 6100 and 6600 cameras, the situation with focusing on problematic diaphragms, according to the owners, is not unambiguous. And he added his own argument as to why he did not purchase this lens. The user can change the focusing mode on problematic apertures, and to achieve focusing accuracy even in manual mode due to the curvature of the field is a task of a different level and which must always be remembered when shooting. It is distracting and unnecessary.

A collection of different opinions will help form an independent decision.

SIGMA launched the production of Sony E-mount lenses for Sony cameras under the granted license and specifications. There was information about this on the global resource SIGMA. I believe this problem lies in the plane of the relationship between these manufacturers.

mcslsk написал:

Мой русский кажется неплохим По моей просьбе

Google Chrome вес языки считает русским для меня.:-)

Literal text.

*This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads