What is wrong with AF Area?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 518
What is wrong with AF Area?

Hi,

I noticed some strange focus behaviour on the last few pictures taken by someone else with my Z50. It seems like the camera focuses on a different area that is selected for the focus. Please see two below examples.

AF-C priority is set on the focus (not on release) and AF-S priority is not in the menu of Z50.

Any ideas what could cause such focus problems?

Af area mark over the middle person

and actual focus on the trees behind

Af area marks over the trees

And the actual focus is luckily not that far from the face

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
justcrusin Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: What is wrong with AF Area?

To get more accurate results use subject tracking in Auto AF mode, Small or large wide area AF with face tracking or Dynamic AF.

By the way, in the second pic the boy is in focus.

mrbr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

I noticed some strange focus behaviour on the last few pictures taken by someone else with my Z50. It seems like the camera focuses on a different area that is selected for the focus. Please see two below examples.

AF-C priority is set on the focus (not on release) and AF-S priority is not in the menu of Z50.

Hi,

I don't own a Z50 and I am not certain which AF settings you used for these pictures. I am not a big fan of the AF auto settings, I would use AF-S single point focus mode for such pictures. AF-C Af auto area with face/eye detection is another option.

Best IMO is to take some time to experiment with the different AF possibilities and to study the Z50 user manual in detail if you did not do that yet.

If you want to study all the possibilities of the Z50 in detail ( much more information then is presented in the nikon user manual ) , Thom Hogan's Z50 e-guide may be a solution (Complete Guide to the Nikon Z50 | Thom Hogan (zsystemuser.com)

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

mrbr's gear list:mrbr's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +8 more

justcrusin wrote:

To get more accurate results use subject tracking in Auto AF mode, Small or large wide area AF with face tracking ...

I don't think the Z50 has this option , see Focus (nikonimglib.com)

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +8 more
Re: nikon Z50 digitutor

See also Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | Z 50

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

OP Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 518

Thank you for the links to tutorials. I went thru some of them already - also vide ones. My concern is not that I do not know which mode to use when.

But rather why the camera showed af area in different spots that it actually focused? I could explain it with priority set on release and not on focus but that was not the case unless this setting can be overwritten by SCN presets...

I did not shoot those pictures and I am not sure which settings were selected. Probably some SCN presets.

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Joacim Schwartz
Joacim Schwartz Junior Member • Posts: 27

Qbalion wrote:

Thank you for the links to tutorials. I went thru some of them already - also vide ones. My concern is not that I do not know which mode to use when.

But rather why the camera showed af area in different spots that it actually focused? I could explain it with priority set on release and not on focus but that was not the case unless this setting can be overwritten by SCN presets...

I did not shoot those pictures and I am not sure which settings were selected. Probably some SCN presets.

Could it be that you have set the AF priority to release on focus or button press? I would think if set to shutter release, the camera "finds" a focus point in the viewfinder, but does not move the focus fast enough since Release Priority is set.

See the settings here:
https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z50/en/09_menu_guide_05_a01.html

Joacim Schwartz's gear list:Joacim Schwartz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z6

Qbalion wrote:

See for a quick tour : (267) Z 7/Z 6/Z 5 - AF-Area Mode: Choosing a Mode to Suit the Scene | Nikon Z Series | Digitutor - YouTube

I cannot answer this question.

As I said , I am not a big fan of the full auto AF modes ... the camera does not read the mind of the person using the camera and when taking pictures of busy scenes it can make wrong decisions.

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

Stinson
Stinson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,837

I have a Z5 not a Z50 so I can only guess that you have some setting that is creating a focus lock.  I do agree with the suggestion to use AF-S for people.  You should review your settings and try some shots outside your home.  There are many options.  On the Z5 there is an option to take off the button press focus and use a back button.  I am experimenting with that and enjoy it so far.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Stinson's gear list:Stinson's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7000 +1 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890

It's too bad people don't actually read the post before responding.  I think you clearly said that the photos were taken by someone else.  Although we have to assume that you mean that you handed your camera to someone else to take the photo.  Putting the camera into AF-S single point mode and then handing it to someone not experienced with the camera is not a recipe for a good photo.

The only thing I can think of is that someone did a half-press of the shutter and then re-composed.  However, you also say that the camera was in AF-C mode so that would sort of rule that out too.

Bottom line, given that someone else took the photos I don't know that it's really going to be possible to know what went wrong in these examples.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Nikon Z (at least first gens) LOVE tree branches over people's faces. I can imagine it to be a useful feature for botanists and tree photographers. There should be a setting to "deprioritize" tree branches for others.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

for 1st picture (3 guys) the modes are SCN Autumn with its default AF-A and Auto AF area.

Capture NX info of the first case

For the 2nd it was portrait Scene also with default AF-A and Auto AF

because AF-A is not the same as AF-C I'd suppose that the shoots were re-composed after af focused... or...

there is a bug with showing the selected af area in playback mode of Z50

Qbalion wrote:

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

for 1st picture (3 guys) the modes are SCN Autumn with its default AF-A and Auto AF area.

because AF-A is not the same as AF-C I'd suppose that the shoots were re-composed after af focused... or...

Hi,

To find out , maybe experiment a bit and try to reproduce the problem with the settings mentioned above ?

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,105

Qbalion wrote:

Usually when users have trouble with this, it's due to misunderstanding the camera settings. I don't have a z50, but on the z6 and 7 first you must check the focus point option in the playback display options menu. Then when reviewing images, you must cycle through the various image review screens to find the one that includes the focus point display.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,105

Qbalion wrote:

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

In general, Nikon focus has a bit of a reputation for grabbing onto contrasty backgrounds too readily. That might be what happened in your second photo.

The AF-A and Auto area modes leave a lot to the camera. If you are going to shoot with these settings, you need to keep an eye on where the focus point is landing while shooting. If you find focus is not where you want it, then you have to change out of portrait scene mode and learn to take more control over the focus with other settings.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II

Hi,

To find out , maybe experiment a bit and try to reproduce the problem with the settings mentioned above ?

I'll let you know guys I reproduce such behavior myself. I wondered if anyone else observed similar stuff as well. It seems that not... Interesting.

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

I'll let you know guys I reproduce such behavior myself. I wondered if anyone else observed similar stuff as well. It seems that not... Interesting.

Hi,

IMO most readers of this forum are not interested in using the SCENE modes. Most people on this forum take control over the camera, certainly regarding focus settings.

See also Thom Hogan's opinion about the Z50 scene modes in his review Nikon Z50 Camera Review | Thom Hogan (zsystemuser.com) :

There’s a full range of Scene and Effects modes in the Z50, plus the new Creative Picture Controls. Nikon seems to still insist on the former in their consumer cameras, but frankly, I only see those adding confusion to the user base. That’s because the Scene and Effects modes are nannies: they only let you change some things, and they don’t actually do as much to get their mission accomplished as they should.

UNQUOTE

My suggestion to you would be to save time and put your effort in settings for focus , and picture control yourself.

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

I hear you and I usually shoot with A or with S. Also I am experimenting with customized user settings for portraits, landscapes...

I'd like to replace SCN on the dial with U3 and even add U4!

But that day I wanted to be in some pictures and I passed the camera to my wife. She is more comfortable with SCN ad I do not want to force here to anything else for now

That is exactly what I did. I think that I need to explain it in original post

Thanks

Qbalion wrote:

I hear you and I usually shoot with A or with S. Also I am experimenting with customized user settings for portraits, landscapes...

I'd like to replace SCN on the dial with U3 and even add U4!

But that day I wanted to be in some pictures and I passed the camera to my wife. She is more comfortable with SCN ad I do not want to force here to anything else for now

I understand your problem !

I set the camera myself and learned my wife ( she is not very technical ) to zoom to the desired focal length and set focus with the focuspoint ( AF-S single point ) in base position and then to recompose before taking a picture.

Maybe best thing to do is not to pixelpeep to check focus on the photo's taken in scene mode. When viewed on normal size the results are probably acceptable.

-- hide signature --

Greetings,
Marc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads