What are some of the best monitors?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497
What are some of the best monitors?

What are some of the best monitors? I'm due for a new one and there are so many choices. My old monitor is a Dell U3014. I'm getting some eye fatigue fairly quick now which makes it frustrating to work. I have windows to turn on night mode to reduce blue light at 9pm. I don't think it even helps.

I don't have a budget to stick to, I just want something great. Buy once/cry once attitude. I'd rather not spend $6K on an apple monitor, and I don't know if it will solve all my problems if I do, but spending $6K isn't out of the possibility.  I use this for work, and my job will pay for it.

Obviously color accuracy is important and eye fatigue is a big concern. Color accuracy is easy to read the specs. I don't know where to start on solving eye fatigue.

I'm not sure how much resolution matters, I understand it is important, I just don't know what I need.

I do a lot of 3D rendering work, the mass production side of generating tens of thousands of images, not the artistic creation. My input on these renders is crucial when speaking with the artists that make the files I work with so it's crucial to have something good.

I'm also into product photography, and about to get into retail fashion clothing photography.

I'm not a gamer, no intention of gaming on my work PC. I don't mind paying more for a great frame rate if it helps with my eye fatigue.

Thank you for looking!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,457
Re: What are some of the best monitors?

Eizo top monitors are the best a consumer can get. I would think the matte surface helps avoid eyestrain, but I don't know the science of that. The color accuracy can't be beat. You can work at low brightness, say 100 cd/m2, to avoid eyestrain and still have vivid, true image display.

The next level is the NEC PA series monitors. They are good, certainly above most if not all Dell and other mass market monitors. But having been privileged to use both at one time or another, I would not do your job without an Eizo.

dmartin92
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 2,261

https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cs2420/

It’s a good quality monitor. Not cheap, but not astronomical either, 861 Dollars at B and H.

Several of the things you say make me think this is a worth a look for you.

There is a 27 inch version that costs more, and has more pixels, but I am happy with this 24 inch, 1920 by 1200.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,481

If your firm are paying , its dead easy...... Eizo !

Where you go in the range depends on what you want, but the CS2740 is a great place to start. £1300 They go up to several thousand for colour critical production use where high gamut colour accuracy is king. Mind you the 2740 is no slouch, with 27" 4k , wide gamut LED backlight and 99% os Adobe RGB.

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cs2740/#tab02

I would be cautious about NEC, previously makers of amazing screens, but recently sold as a company and will new owners play nicely at the top end ?

If its a flush the account job , and you want the latest , then try looking at Dell UP3221Q

their new 4K 32" with the most amazing hi colour panel and very even backlight... .£4000 ish. If you are working on 4K material and want room for the 4K plus program tools and work areas then have a peek at the Dell 8K UP3218K , great colour with built in LUT and shows your 4K material with room for all the program tools and boxes.

Don't forget if you want to calibrate your monitor and see accurate colour on screen , then budget for an X-Rite Eye One Display calibrator. ... £200,  or for the Wide Gamut screens the Eye One Display Pro £250.

As for eye strain, I think you need to read about rest breaks and looking away from the screen to a different focal distance .... think RSI of the eyeball.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

johnnyandedgar Contributing Member • Posts: 514

Eizo and Dell U series.

johnnyandedgar

I think you will find the better Dell monitors are the UP series.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

OP Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497

My normal supplier can't get Eizo, I'm going to have to go BH or somewhere else. It's not a big deal, I just prefer support my local small business when possible.

They recommend this instead: BenQ SW321C

Is Eizo and BenQ very far apart in quality? I'm still leaning toward Eizo, and I'm not in a hurry. Is Eizo's 31" near the end of life product cycle?

How does Dell's U3014 compare against the BenQ? I'm reading a lot of feedback on the search feature, but there isn't a lot of people that have an opportunity to try different options on the high end. So far, I'm reading Eizo is best, followed by NEC which isn't quite as good if you can see both side by side. Still very good, but we're comparing it against a pricier option.

The BenQ has some interesting features, built in card reader? That's a nice back up option in case I forget my dongles somewhere. It's got some mixed reviews, USB-C cable instead of HDMI and Displayport? If so the card reader doesn't work, and doesn't play well with Mac. It has a very interesting menu puck, while all new monitors have poor menu usability. Refresh rate is a little faster, if that even helps with eye fatigue?

Like I said, I'm leaning Eizo due to it's overwhelming positivity in DP review, I just thought I'd ask.

dmartin92
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 2,261

I worry that in making these comments the BenQ fans are going to come after me, but I researched this quite a lot, and the impression I got was that the BenQ monitors cost less but had more issues with quality control. Problems getting the colors calibrated right, and other stories too.

Any evidence I could present to defend this opinion would be purely anecdotal.

And lots of people get BenQ monitors that are less costly than the Eizo ones, and it all works out great for them. No problems at all.

But Eizo, at a higher cost, is the safer bet.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more

I agree with the Doc. Over a period of time I have come across a few issues with BenQ .. firstly the comparative evenness of the illumination, and secondly the profiling. These comments have been reinforced with reviewers and users.

If you look at Dell, it's either the UP series , and the very top panels in that group, or not at all if your trying to go high end. So UP2720Q £1400 is a good example.

As I mentioned before NEC are very good at the top end, however there have been concerns over their recent sale as a company, and no one is sure what the future holds. A screen purchase might outlast a few computer upgrades, so stability of service etc is important.

Don't know if you have read this review by a user but I think it will aim you well ....

https://www.farsawreylandscape.co.uk/blog/eizo-colouredge-cs2740-an-unbiased-review

or this review of the Dell ....

https://photographylife.com/reviews/dell-up2720q

-- hide signature --

roonsmits Regular Member • Posts: 153

Bang on, I think the same about my CS242o (and SW2462) Eizo monitors.

-- hide signature --

Ron

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,534

Ken60 wrote:

As for eye strain, I think you need to read about rest breaks and looking away from the screen to a different focal distance .... think RSI of the eyeball.

Also read up on Pulse Width Modulation.

Many LCD monitors implement dimming by rapidly turning LED backlighting on and off, instead of by generating a constant, lower level of light.  A low flicker rate can cause headaches in sensitive people – while remaining just high enough that the victims can't consciously perceive the flickering and identify the source of the problem.

www.notebookcheck.net has a more in-depth explanation, plus PWM information for  laptop displays.  TFT Central has information about desktop monitors.  (Check individual reviews, not the no-longer-maintained (???) flicker-free display list.)

Eizo claims to be using a "hybrid" dimming method on some of their monitors.

https://www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/eyestrain/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads