A Modest Proposal About X100-Series Cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
robnich
robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 737
A Modest Proposal About X100-Series Cameras

I believe there must be many owners of Fujifilm X100-series cameras who might like to see a separate forum for these cameras. I am probably not alone in having selected my current X100V and my previous X100S specifically because I was tired of carrying around what I often referred to a one metric ton of lenses and accessories in my days as a Canon beast-of-burden. I welcomed the challenge of using a light, beautiful and capable fixed lens camera of high quality.

In the current forum, X100-series camera posts are buried in an avalanche of DSLR and lens posts and are a bit hard to locate. Search by Product simply does not work, usually coming up with only a very few posts that are not days or even weeks old, even for "hot" recent cameras such as the X100V.

Anyone else who has had these thoughts?

Robert N.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100V Canon Pixma Pro-100
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,238
Re: A Modest Proposal About X100-Series Cameras
 Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,626

robnich wrote:

I believe there must be many owners of Fujifilm X100-series cameras who might like to see a separate forum for these cameras. I am probably not alone in having selected my current X100V and my previous X100S specifically because I was tired of carrying around what I often referred to a one metric ton of lenses and accessories in my days as a Canon beast-of-burden. I welcomed the challenge of using a light, beautiful and capable fixed lens camera of high quality.

In the current forum, X-series camera posts are buried in an avalanche of DSLR and lens posts and are a bit hard to locate. Search by Product simply does not work, usually coming up with only a very few posts that are not days or even weeks old, even for "hot" recent cameras such as the X100V.

Robert N.

Just to be clear, Fuji’s crop line contains X-series cameras, as in X-H1, X-T4, etc., all of which are represented within this forum. The notable exception is the MF line, which is not a part of the charter for this particular discussion group within DPR and is arguably a different class of products. The X-H1, X-Tn lines, etc. are not defined as DSLRs. Bottom line, I believe DPR is not particularly interested in proliferating more specialized forums, thus generating potentially a host of new forums (since a similar request could easily apply to smaller groups of products within other brands as well).

So, I wouldn’t personally be particularly supportive of this request and I seriously doubt that DPR would be inclined to further break up this forum. Just my opinion... not speaking for DPR here.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
robnich
OP robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 737

Jerry-astro wrote:

The X-H1, X-Tn lines, etc. are not defined as DSLRs.

Yes, you're right, a sloppy error on my part -- I should have written interchangeable lens cameras.

Robert N.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,178

Truth be told, the X100 discussion should be in the Finepix forum, since the official name of the camera is "Finepix". Just saying...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
jaberg
jaberg Forum Member • Posts: 80

Fujifilm USA doesn’t categorize or identify the X100V as a “Finepix” model, nor do I find any such reference on the camera or in the camera manual. The “100” is clearly associated with the X Series. 
I wouldn’t mind seeing the X “premium compact’ cameras broken off into their own forum section because so much of the conversation here pertains to lenses I can’t (yet?) use. However, I can understand DPRs reluctance to micro-categorize the forums.

jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Apple iPad Pro
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,610

jaberg wrote:

Fujifilm USA doesn’t categorize or identify the X100V as a “Finepix” model, nor do I find any such reference on the camera or in the camera manual. The “100” is clearly associated with the X Series.
I wouldn’t mind seeing the X “premium compact’ cameras broken off into their own forum section because so much of the conversation here pertains to lenses I can’t (yet?) use. However, I can understand DPRs reluctance to micro-categorize the forums.

The first X100 was called a Finepix because there was not X-Mount system then.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more

robnich wrote:

In the current forum, X100-series camera posts are buried in an avalanche of DSLR and lens posts and are a bit hard to locate. Search by Product simply does not work, usually coming up with only a very few posts that are not days or even weeks old, even for "hot" recent cameras such as the X100V.

Robert N.

I would agree if the X100V were fundamentally different, but many questions about the X-Pro3, for example, are applicable to the X100V.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,956
In the meanwhile. . .

It might not be quite as fulfilling as having it's own forum, but have you tried the Filter By Product forum feature?

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,365
Re: In the meanwhile. . .

Bob Tullis wrote:

It might not be quite as fulfilling as having it's own forum, but have you tried the Filter By Product forum feature?

I may not have done it like it should be done [first time I used it], but it seems there is no way to filter all X100 models in one go?

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR

robert1955 wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I may not have done it like it should be done [first time I used it], but it seems there is no way to filter all X100 models in one go?

Add the cameras you want to the filter url.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1020?view=list&products=fujifilm_x100,fujifilm_x100s,fujifilm_x100t,fujifilm_x100f,fujifilm_x100v

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

jaberg

Thanks for that. I’d forgotten (if in fact I’d ever known). To re-establish a modicum of Fuji cred I’ll state that my S2 is a Finepix.

Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Apple iPad Pro
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,178

Indeed, only the original X100 was a Finepix.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,956

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

robert1955 wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Add the cameras you want to the filter url.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1020?view=list&products=fujifilm_x100,fujifilm_x100s,fujifilm_x100t,fujifilm_x100f,fujifilm_x100v

Indeed - and then one can save that as a browser bookmark for returnable convenience.  

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,155

There was a big push recently for DPR to start a forum for fixed prime lens camera that would have, naturally, included the X100 series along with other cameras like the Sony RX1 series, Leica Q, Ricoh GR series, and others that would even include older cameras like the Nikon Coolpix A.

I think the original thread was posted in the Sony forum and there was also a thread posted in the Site Feedback and Help forum.

Long story short is that after more than 140 comments every one supported the idea with the exception of one or two Mods.

DPR never responded and for the most part, the idea/suggestion was ignored.
Two things were obvious from these threads.

First, some mods didn't like the possibility that their precious forums might lose traffic because these cameras were being talked about in another forum.

Second, it proved, without a doubt, that DPR doesn't care one bit about what their forum members want.

Such is life.

surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 493

robnich wrote:

Robert N.

I think it's a great idea. I don't buy the "forum proliferation" argument, as forums only proliferate as camera types do. While this is obviously an X series camera with it's sensor and construction, the fixed-lens premium camera also obviously a very cool, very popular and very discussable niche.

If it's not up to the mods, I wonder how such a change would be proposed to the forum runners. Whoever they might be...

This can't be a static thing, new cameras and new lines come out all the time. Someone's paying attention.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
jaberg

I’m going to toss in my rather jaded view that a forum dedicated to the X100 (or even to premium compact cameras as a whole) is just another place for people to swing by and tell the fans and users of those cameras why they’re doing it wrong.

This is just off the top of my head from this mornings readings (here and elsewhere)

Leica Q2 Monochrom — Why would anybody want one when they could use [camera] and [software] to make better monochrome images. Leicas are just status symbols anyway.

iPhone 12 Max — my [phone, or camera, often full frame] takes better images. I’ll bet you won’t find professionals shooting the olympics using their phones. (Yes, that last one is real.)

Apple ProRAW — It’s not real raw. And… and… Android did it first. Plus my [real camera] does it better.

Apple M1 Chip — I bet it won’t run [obscure specialized software] plus this [workstation chip] is faster. Why did Apple bother. (Seriously, I wonder if the engineers there sometimes ask themselves this very question.)

To be clear I don’t object to, and even enjoy, honest debate. It’s the whataboutism and I have to impose my thoughts on everythingism that gets to me.

The Internet. Raining on parades since—USENET. I’ve started to become what I detest: An old (56) man shouting at The Cloud.

/rant off.

Back to x100 cameras. Which I’m happy to discuss, even debate, here there or anywhere.

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,626

Ed B wrote:

There was a big push recently for DPR to start a forum for fixed prime lens camera that would have, naturally, included the X100 series along with other cameras like the Sony RX1 series, Leica Q, Ricoh GR series, and others that would even include older cameras like the Nikon Coolpix A.

I think the original thread was posted in the Sony forum and there was also a thread posted in the Site Feedback and Help forum.

Long story short is that after more than 140 comments every one supported the idea with the exception of one or two Mods.

DPR never responded and for the most part, the idea/suggestion was ignored.
Two things were obvious from these threads.

First, some mods didn't like the possibility that their precious forums might lose traffic because these cameras were being talked about in another forum.

Second, it proved, without a doubt, that DPR doesn't care one bit about what their forum members want.

Such is life.

I won’t try to speak for other Mods here... this is just my own view of your comments.  First of all, just because DPR disagrees with a suggestion in no way suggests that they don’t care about what forum members want.  Proliferating specialized forums is something that needs to be carefully considered, and simply because a group (even 140) of DPR members wants to see something like this does not necessarily mean that it’s a no brainer to make it happen or that it even makes sense when considering the broader range of forums that DPR already has.  What’s more, you seem to assume that individual Mods have a strong say in this.  Decisions like this one are made by DPR staff, not Mods.  Individual Mods might have opinions, but we have little more say in the process than DPR members do.  Your suggestion that a Mod might oppose this idea because of a loss of traffic in their forums is also simply ridiculous.  We don’t get measured on volumes of posts.

So, bottom line, I’m sorry that you didn’t achieve what you wanted, and I’m sure you’re looking for people to blame for this.  Consider the possibility that your idea was considered but didn’t work within the framework that DPR has in mind for their forums.  In other words, just because a group of forum members agrees on a direction does not necessarily mean that it fits well with DPR’s plans for forum organization or that it’s necessarily the right thing to do.  As you said, such is life.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
robnich
OP robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 737

Bob Tullis wrote:

As I mentioned in my original post I have found that searching (filtering) by product is not effective, as it yields only a very few posts and misses many. For example, my post on this topic is not found by entering X100V or X100. Apparently the Filter by Product only works if a tag for the product is selected.

Robert N.

Don Davis
Don Davis Contributing Member • Posts: 773

Just my personal opinion, but I like having all the X100 series and the X-mount interchangeable lens cameras in one forum. I use a couple of different x-mount bodies in addition to the X100's, and I like to scan one place for news, info, and opinions. It would not be a disaster if they were separated, but it wouldn't be a benefit either.

Don Davis's gear list:Don Davis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads