Huawei Mate 20 Pro - High resolution mode

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 2,266
Huawei Mate 20 Pro - High resolution mode

Here's an example handheld full resolution (40MP) image from the main camera. I think it's pretty impressive.

You can improve on this by shooting in RAW and processing with the Lightroom mobile app, but then you're stuck with very heavy vignetting that is impossible to get rid of, and weird colours in the corners.

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,508
Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - High resolution mode

Boss of Sony wrote:

Here's an example handheld full resolution (40MP) image from the main camera. I think it's pretty impressive.

You can improve on this by shooting in RAW and processing with the Lightroom mobile app, but then you're stuck with very heavy vignetting that is impossible to get rid of, and weird colours in the corners.

I

It would be interesting to work on the raw.  This jpg, even in bright light, has a ton or noise reduction.  It removes much fine texture and detail...see the antenna on the roof.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more
OP Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 2,266

The Davinator wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

I

It would be interesting to work on the raw. This jpg, even in bright light, has a ton or noise reduction. It removes much fine texture and detail...see the antenna on the roof.

Here is a RAW converted to Jpeg in the Lightroom mobile App. It’s a bit soft because I dialled down the sharpening. Also, I had to reopen it in Snapseed and export at 95% quality because the file was too large to upload to DPreview.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens

Boss of Sony wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

I

It would be interesting to work on the raw. This jpg, even in bright light, has a ton or noise reduction. It removes much fine texture and detail...see the antenna on the roof.

Here is a RAW converted to Jpeg in the Lightroom mobile App. It’s a bit soft because I dialled down the sharpening. Also, I had to reopen it in Snapseed and export at 95% quality because the file was too large to upload to DPreview.

Since Snapseed destroyed a lot of the detail at the pixel level,  I’ve reopened the JPEG  (from the RAW) in Lightroom and exported a crop of the antenna at 100% quality. Unfortunately i can’t export directly from the RAW file because I deleted it.

Oh, i see what happened. Snapseed can only export at a maximum of 20mp. And DPreview also has a 20MP limit on uploads.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,508

Boss of Sony wrote:

Oh, i see what happened. Snapseed can only export at a maximum of 20mp. And DPreview also has a 20MP limit on uploads.

Still...I got the idea though.  This looks like with a bit of work, a decent sized print could be made.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more
Droo Regular Member • Posts: 122

The Davinator wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

Still...I got the idea though. This looks like with a bit of work, a decent sized print could be made.

Absolutely. This is from a P30 Pro. I think it uses the same sensor and a slightly brighter lens with OIS. Vignette and discoloration in the corners can get fixed. Output is something like this:

Unfortunately, you have to ditch Lightroom for this and are stuck with developing on a PC.

Droo wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

Still...I got the idea though. This looks like with a bit of work, a decent sized print could be made.

Absolutely. This is from a P30 Pro. I think it uses the same sensor and a slightly brighter lens with OIS. Vignette and discoloration in the corners can get fixed. Output is something like this:

Unfortunately, you have to ditch Lightroom for this and are stuck with developing on a PC.

Interesting, I didn’t know the P30 Pro had a faster lens on the main camera. Why are the left and right edges of this image soft? It that a result of your processing? It can’t be a result of shallow depth of field, because in that case the pavement in the foreground should be out of focus too.

Droo Regular Member • Posts: 122

Boss of Sony wrote:

Droo wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Boss of Sony wrote:

Interesting, I didn’t know the P30 Pro had a faster lens on the main camera. Why are the left and right edges of this image soft? It that a result of your processing? It can’t be a result of shallow depth of field, because in that case the pavement in the foreground should be out of focus too.

Tte P30 Pro has very bad corner sharpness. Nothing you can do about it. It is not as obvious in this photo because the focus is on the building, which is off center as well.

Actually, it appears the P30 uses a different sensor from the Mate 20, since it also comes with the RYYB color filter array. But size and resolution are the same, so it might be derived from the P20/Mate 20 one. The photos of the Mate 20 surely remind me of the P30. And the RYYB thing only tends to cause trouble in RAW.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads